PDA

View Full Version : help! ofsted visit on friday

coffee-time
13-01-2010, 04:20 PM
hi everyone, ive got my ofsted visit on friday morning (pre reg) i have just been going through the 'preparing for your registration visit' booklet and i am finding some of the questions in there quite difficult to answer, i dont know if its me being a bit stupid or has anyone else found it a bit difficult too. how many of these questions will the inspector be asking me? and if i show that im not confident in my answers will that go against me. ive got lots of policies and procedures in place for him to see and im pretty sure my house is child friendly as it can be, just need to do a risk assessment of the house, any tips on that would be helpful too!!
thanks, Anice.

sarah707
13-01-2010, 04:51 PM
The questions aren't just to answer straight away!

If you can't answer them it will help the inspector to know what you don't know and how she can help you.

Good luck on Friday let us know how you get on :D

coffee-time
13-01-2010, 05:05 PM
thanks sarah, im just worried hes going to ask me something i dont know the answer to and look an idiot!! do you think it would be benificial to ask him something im not sure about before he asks me! and have you got any advise on doing risk assessments? thanks again, anice.

sarah707
13-01-2010, 05:57 PM
It's always best to be honest if you don't understand something... it's not a test!

You could write up a list of questions to ask and go through them at the end.

There's a lot of information about risk assessments on my information website - EYFS for childminders... link in my signature.

You can get free forms etc from www.bromleycma.org.uk.

Hth :D

coffee-time
13-01-2010, 06:16 PM
thanks again, i'll let you know how i get on!

clio0602
13-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi I found alot of the answers in the other booklets that were in the pack. The Ofsted inspector is there to help and will prompt you and you'll find you actually do know the answers!

Risk assesments and the main policies (safeguarding children, evacuation etc)I was asked for and a menu plan.

Good luck x

francinejayne
14-01-2010, 10:25 AM
If it's any consolation, my inspector was soooo lovely and started off by saying 'it's not a test, I'm not here to trick you and if there's anything you're unsure of just ask'. There's a section in the booklet where you can jot down anything you're unsure of and any questions you have - my advice is to be honest and ask them!
If you want to ask any specific questions then this is the place to do it, I've got so much info from here, it's wonderful and very addictive!!!

francinejayne
14-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Oh and I forgot to say "GOOD LUCK!"
xx

newadventure
14-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I had my pre reg visit on tuesday- I was really worried about doing all the questions from the booklet and I spent ages searching for the answers

When the inspector came she did ask me alot of questions but I had aminly answered them all in my policies. She asked me what my understanding was of different things and them she helped me with the answers.

Luckily I dont think they expect us to know it all and are willing to help I sat and jotted stuff down as she chatted to me.

I was asked about- daily routines, how I would show and document the childrens learning and development. About safeguarding? How I would keep children healthy in my setting. They like you to have risk assessments for your home and garden and they will gothrough them room by room with yo and recommend if you need to add stuff

Good luck x

miffy
14-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Good luck - the inspector's there to help you at this one and you're not expected to "know it all".

Miffy xx

Leannetrim
15-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Good Luck xxxxx

I'm sure you will be fine xxxx :thumbsup:

coffee-time
15-01-2010, 01:34 PM
thanks for all the replies, he was here for 3 and a half hours and was really nice! did ask lots of questions especially about the eyfs but prompted me when i was unsure and then would explain in more detail if didnt give enough info. just got to do first aid course now and wait for crb checks to come back.

Tink
15-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Glad you were ok. It's not as bad as you think is it?

Hope you get started soon xxx:clapping: