PDA

View Full Version : Observations

Merry-Minder
13-01-2010, 11:58 AM
My network co-ordinator gave me some fantastic sheets with child development norms for all 6 areas of learning with age groups 0-60months its quite extensive and really useful - the only thing is, when Im doing my obs im not sure if I should use everything for each age group I fear I will be writing forever!!!!
I also use this form to log each childs development, as a clear document for showing children are reaching their early learning goals.
My question is, is it ok that I dont write every single goal in each childs obs books, if I am marking off each goal on the sheet? (which lives in the back of each childs book)

I hope that all makes sense?!

Ps. if anyone need a sheet like this let me know and ill email it to you (if I can) Ive found it invaluble!!

Kelly
13-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Are they the develop milestones sheets? If so, I do my obs and as most obs cover more than one area of development I highlight the area on the sheets and then just put the date so I can link it back to the observation. I can then see on the sheets if there are areas of development that are not on track for future planning.

They might not even be the same kind of sheets!

sarah707
13-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Ofsted do not expect you to fill in every single bit by yourself... parents and other settings should contribute too!!

Depending on how often the child comes to you, you might only do one obs every week or 2, so it's not going to be a very thick learning journey.

So long as it shows a child's starting points and evidence of how they are moving on... then it does the job.

It does sound from reading what you've put that you are duplicating... DON'T!

You should work to come up with a way of noting what bits of the Eyfs the child has met without writing them out all the time :D

Merry-Minder
13-01-2010, 12:28 PM
So if I write some out, it ok that I am just shading the boxes on my sheets to show other developments even though im not nesseserily (sp?) evidencing them? would it be ok to say that i have seen them do these thing but they are not handwriten by my self?? - I hope im making sense????

sarah707
13-01-2010, 01:53 PM
They need to be observed by somebody and evidenced by somebody...

that doesn't necessarily have to be you... you don't have to fill in every single bit because you are not with the child all the time you can't possibly do that.

The Eyfs is definitely stopped everybody doing tick lists :laughing: :laughing:

karenmcadam
16-01-2010, 09:01 PM
As a new registered childminder I am finding observation sheets a total nightmare. At my recent inspection I received an overall 4 'good' but was told that I could improve my observation sheets!! but how!!!

At present I just write down what I have observed over the month, good with puzzles, sort and shape ball, free play and how the child is with other children etc.

I just have the childs name, month then my observations written down on a A4 sheet of paper. HELP!!!

Can anyone email me a sample "Observations Sheet" or give me some help and advice, which I really need.

** personal email address removed by Pauline for security/confidentiality reasons**

fucshia
11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
I have found learning journey sheets on the EYFS CD, these have a space for the photo and boxes to write What they did, next steps, etc. Hope thats of some help.

TammyN
14-02-2010, 03:35 PM
i think it sounds like ur ofsted inspector is looking for an evaluation/next steps part to enhance your obs. i also include what area's of dev the obs covered, often more than one! i made my sheet myself and duplicate it but maybe add a box for next steps and area's?
i also use photo's alot with sticky notes attached!!

Muckypups
24-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Id love a copy if possible please ?

Akeararoxy@hotmail.com

My network co-ordinator gave me some fantastic sheets with child development norms for all 6 areas of learning with age groups 0-60months its quite extensive and really useful - the only thing is, when Im doing my obs im not sure if I should use everything for each age group I fear I will be writing forever!!!!
I also use this form to log each childs development, as a clear document for showing children are reaching their early learning goals.
My question is, is it ok that I dont write every single goal in each childs obs books, if I am marking off each goal on the sheet? (which lives in the back of each childs book)

Ps. if anyone need a sheet like this let me know and ill email it to you (if I can) Ive found it invaluble!!

Sassy.80
18-07-2011, 08:22 AM

hi I would like to be email ur sheet as trying to get my head around all this as use to do them all the time. <email address removed for confidentiality, please use Private message service, thank you>
Many thanks xx

juelmer
17-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Could you email me the sheet too, I need to reassess what I do because it taking up too much time :panic:

jo f
17-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Oooo yes please and thanks for sharing!!!

Loz74
17-08-2011, 06:26 PM

hi i would love to see it thank you

anisha
13-09-2011, 06:16 PM
would love a copy too please :)

BuggsieMoo
13-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Can I have a copy please - lisasladybirds@live.com

claire & steve
14-09-2011, 09:44 AM
please could i have a copy thanks :) :)
totsrus@hotmail.com

claire & steve
14-09-2011, 09:46 AM
hi please could i have a copy thanks :) :)

Chloe.1987
02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey could you send me a sheet
Chloe.1987@hotmail.co.uk
Many thank
Chloe

zippy
02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
And me pretty please always looking for new ideas Zoe_rhymes@hotmail.com thanks understand if you can't though

pat75
02-11-2011, 08:46 PM
would love a copy
Many thanks
patchanner@yahoo.co.uk

Ambs
09-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Could I have a copy too, please? Many thanks:jump for joy: x

Pauline
09-11-2011, 10:14 PM
This is a really old thread that has been brought up again. The original offer was in January 2010!!

I will lock it now, no point in keep asking.