PDA

View Full Version : Would it be crazy to care for three 11-13 month olds?

Melissa
12-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum (just found it!) and this is my first post. I registered and began childminding in November, looking after a little girl who is now 11 months old, 2 and a half days a week, weds-fri. I have my own 13 month old. (I'm also due to start childminding a little boy on the other two days so will soon be working nearly fulltime).

I've recently been asked by a friend of mine if I'd be able to childmind her little girl who is 12 months old for one morning a week on a thursday. I am registered to be able to care for 3 under fives by Ofsted so would be within my numbers, but I am unsure about looking after 3 babies, all 11-13 months old. Would this be crazy? I was worried about taking on my first mindee, as her and my own daughter are so close in age, but it is actually going really well. The only difficult thing I am finding is mealtimes (preparing, feeding and cleaning up after!) but since the third mindee would only be there for the morning I wouldn't be giving her any meals, so that wouldn't be an issue. Also, my gardens aren't childfriendly and I'm obliged to take them outdoors everyday - I don't drive so this is in the double buggy. Obviously I wouldn't be able to take 3 of them out at all, so I'd be committed to staying in the house.

Sorry this is so long, I just can't decide what to do. Does anyone have any experience of caring for 3 babies this age at the same time? I really like the mum and her baby, we have similar parenting styles and I don't want to turn her down for this, but would I be taking on too much?

moogster1a
13-01-2010, 08:09 AM
To be honest, for one morning a week, I'd give it a go. As long as you make clear to the mum that you'll have to give it the 4 week settling in period to see how it goes so if it becomes clear it's too much she won't be too surprised/ disappointed if you say it's not working.
I also think for one morning there's nothing wrong with staying in and playing. Also, if you manage to stick with it, remember, they'll all get older and hopefully easier to cope with as they learn to play properly etc!

caz3007
13-01-2010, 09:05 AM
It would be hard work, but its only for one morning a week. I dont have any experience, but think I would seriously consider it, but make it clear to my friend that at this point in time, I would only be available for 1 morning a week.

As to the going out, surely it wouldnt matter too much if that one LO didnt go out whilst with you and you could always take the other 2 out in the afternoon.

mabel
13-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I am sure you will be okay, this weather keeps us indoors anyway ...we are only doing the school runs, by the time the weather picks up you can attempt little walks to the park taking turns for rides in a buggy and walking,
that how I would appoach it,
go for it as its nice for the children to social/play with peers of their own age

Carol M
13-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I have done this and yes its hard work.I had 3 under 15mths 4 days a week and I used a double buggy with a buggy pod attatched.
Everything took much longer to do eg feeding, getting in and out of the car, getting in and out of the buggy. Watching all three at toddler groups , soft play and seemingly endless nappy changing!
I feel for mums of triplets!
Carol:)

Melissa
13-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Thank you all for your replies. Moogster1a, the mum is doing a course for 8 weeks so it is only for a limited time anyway, though I imagine it might turn into a more permanent thing if everyone is happy (including me!), which is why I'm giving it so much thought - don't want to turn down future business. I'd thought about them getting older too, and hopefully this will get easier, but I actually don't have any real experience caring for older children (only my daughter so far!) so have no idea how things will turn out - it might get harder? Hopefully not. My daughter is walking now but only for short distances so in time we will be able to go out for short walks.

Caz3007, yes I'd be able to take the other two out in the afternoon, and surely I can't be expected to take a mindee outdoors each time I have her if she's only with me for 3 hours? I think I'm just worried about the commitment ot staying in. I don't usually mind staying in as we always find lots to do but it's the "trapped" element that concerns me! Carol Messenger - wow, don't know how you managed - you have my respect! I always think of people with multiples (twins/triplets) and wonder how they manage. At least we get to give them back at the end of the day!

Also I think if I turn this down then all the faff of registering will have been just so I could look after one mindee at a time, ie. 3.50 an hour, which is rubbish really. So maybe I should do it - it is my job! Thanks all for giving me confidence. I did initially say no to the mum and referred her to a childminder nearby, who she is seeing today, so maybe they'll get on and it'll be a non-issue for me. I've told her to get in touch with me though if she can't find anyone she is happy with and we might be able to sort something out...

angiemog
13-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I have a 10 month old, 13 month and 18 month. So slightly different ages. It's hard work and I do this 4 days a week. If they are not demanding...... I have one who likes to be held all the time, then I would say go for it. They play (fight) with each other and keep each other company. I also have them all sleeping after lunch so gives me time to relax or tidy the mess! I do find on the 2 days I have a 4 year old after school aswell it's really hard work. I say give it a go they grow up fast anyway and wont stay this little for long. Good Luck xxx

Rubybubbles
13-01-2010, 01:03 PM
TBH I would say yes your crazy!

Also how did you get registered for 3 under 5's when you have your own 13 month old? or are you registered for 2 under 5's hun?

You may find your own 13 month old will be very clingy and TBH I don't think it would be worth it 1 day a week!

little daisies
13-01-2010, 02:09 PM
how are registered for 3 under fives when your own child is within that age group, noemally you can only have 2 children on top of your own

Melissa
13-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I stand corrected, of course I meant I can care for 3 under fives INCLUDING my own daughter. I'm registered to childmind 2 other under fives. Thank you for noticing my inaccuracy Rubybubbles and little daisies! Can you tell I've just started childminding? :)

Thanks Angiemog, it's good to hear that others can do it, and how they manage it. It will only be for 3 hours a week and after hearing from the rest of you too I think I'll go for it (if the mum gets back to me, that is).

ss1983
13-01-2010, 09:23 PM
i have my own 5 year old and 2 year old and mind a 1 year old and 6 month is this mad? 1 year old 3 days week 6 month old 5 days
im registered to look afetr 4 under 8 is that with mine taken of or i count mine in with that

Rubybubbles
17-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I stand corrected, of course I meant I can care for 3 under fives INCLUDING my own daughter. I'm registered to childmind 2 other under fives. Thank you for noticing my inaccuracy Rubybubbles and little daisies! Can you tell I've just started childminding? :)

Thanks Angiemog, it's good to hear that others can do it, and how they manage it. It will only be for 3 hours a week and after hearing from the rest of you too I think I'll go for it (if the mum gets back to me, that is).

lol was just making sure hun;) I went over my numbers when I first started as I got very mixed up with the numbers thing:panic:

little_gems
18-01-2010, 08:07 PM
i have cared for 3 children very close in age 18m,22m,26m and was 8 months pregant!! it was hard work but they will learn to play together and it's nice having them the same age so your planning will be much easier. I try and look after children on a similar age.