PDA

View Full Version : Disability Policy

yummymummy_2006
09-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Can anyone help me with what to include in my disability policy - I have looked on Bromley as suggested in another thread but can't find one!!!
I can't seem to get on to the NCMA website either - do you have to be a member to gain access? (I'm not a member yet).

I know it will be highly unlikely a parent will want me to care for their child if they are in a wheelchair as I have steps up to my house which would put them off instantly - I just really need some pointers.

It's the last policy I've got to write HOORAY :clapping:

Thanks everyone in advance :D

sarah707
09-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I will treat every child and family with equal concern and I observe, assess and plan using the EYFS by looking at the individual child, not the condition; I am prepared to make reasonable changes to my home and practice to accommodate the needs of a disabled child or parent; I keep up-to-date on issues surrounding disability through reading.... whatever you read...

I have done an audit which I keep with my policy - I can't find the link, but if you put 'Access Audit childminder' into Google it should come up.

It's a document written by Leeds Play Network in association with NCMA and it gave me an awful lot to think about. :D

hello kitty
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I think this is the link

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-106470.doc

Certainly alot to think about.

Thanks.

Sarah :)

sarah707
09-03-2008, 11:10 PM
That's a different one Sarah and I haven't seen it, so thanks very much. It certainly asks some good questions! :D

yummymummy_2006
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank you for your replies the links were extremely helpful;

I just wondered how indepth I need to be - what I've done is sorta list ways in which I can help to make my home and equipment ect. accessible to all people. such as bright stickers on doorways, bright and tactile toys ect and larger print size on documents for those poor eyesight.
Ways in which I could communicate with parents or children that are deaf.

I've just got a slight problem of accessibility with my door ways and steps.

There is no way I could use a ramp safely for anyone in a wheelchair to get into my house - my gran is in a wheelchair and cannot visit my house due to the steepness of the steps and the gradient of a ramp would be too high. Children are not a problem if they can be carried - it's just adults!

Also we've had to build the doorframes out at the top of the stairs so a stairgate could be fitted across and to make the doors fit into the doorhole as the doorframes weren't straight and are not adjacent to one another (I don't know who built the house but they did a poor job ;) ) and the opening into both rooms off of the stairs are only measuring 630mm opposed to the 800mm that is suggested, does this matter?

Also would I be correct in assuming that the doorwidth guidance is for those who are using a wheelchair - as upstairs will only for children to use the toilet in which case a child in a wheelchair would be carried.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to can I word these issues in my policies and procedures? Thank you in advance :thumbsup:

sarah707
10-03-2008, 10:42 PM
You aim to be non-discriminatory and welcoming to everyone, regardless of age, disability... etc

You have carried out an audit of your premises and you are aware that there are certain areas of concern, especially regarding wheelchair and walking frame access, which cannot (because of the age, physical location and type of building in which you live) be circumvented.

This type of disability is, however, only a small percentage of what your understanding of the term 'disabled' means and you are keen to provide a fully inclusive and welcoming service to other disabled adults and children on request. You are also proactive in seeking solutions to parents concerns about their children's health.

For more information, potential disabled customers should view your 'Admissions Policy'.

Then, in your admissions policy, make sure you say how you will welcome anyone (including disabled parents) and you are willing to do home visits for parents who might use a wheelchair or walking frame, as you are aware of the limitations of your property.

Hope this helps! :D

yummymummy_2006
12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you very much xxxxxxx