PDA

View Full Version : What to buy for outside play.

dizzycatmojo
12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi, I am wondering what I need to get for outside play, I thought maybe a wooden Wendy house and a sand/water play table, also do you think it's ok that the area is concrete? should I buy play mats to go outside or maybe use bark chippings, the area is not so big it's 8 feet wide by nearly 30 feet long, this is the area by the side of my house I have had it fenced off with gates front and back, the rear garden has 2 large pondsa vegetable patch and an area used by my dog, so is not suitable for child minding purposes. There is lots that I'm not sure about but the outside play area concerns me the most, I do live a few minutes walk from the local park so I can take mindees there to play on larger play equipment. Any advice appreciated :) Lisa.

PixiePetal
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
A playhouse is always good, it can be anything mindees want it to be. As your play area is so near I would concentrate on the smaller items.

Ride on cars, buggies, hoops, balls, picnic table, sandpit,watertable Have a look around and make a list of possibilities and work out what you would get most use from.:thumbsup:

I would go for some matting for an area for very little ones or for a quiet area to be defined.

wyetots
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I found that i bought all sorts of equipment when i was pre reg and some of it has been a waste of money and some hasnt. I bought some soft matting form toys r us which was a waste of money as older children slide on them and ripped them. I bought a sand/water tray and wish that i had bought very basic paddling pools with lids and the sand gets in the water and vice versa and i am ruining so much sand. It cost £29.99 so i feel i have to use it but in the future i will definatley get separates.
Make your concrete area a benefit by chalk drawing, water painting, trikes, prams, a tippee/den that the small ones can hide in.
If you have a washing line, a parachute draped over it with a picnic blanket to sit on is lovely for babies to shade from the sun!
Tesco's have some amazing cheap stuff such as skittles, balls, parachutes, etc - you could spend a fortune but my advice would be to do it in stages. wait for the first children start and then purchase as you discover their needs. Car boots are ace.

Tink
12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
This is an area of my setting which needs looking at.

I want to have all my outside area soft play so we can have bikes/cars etc.

At the moment under all the snow there's grass and concrete round it and I hate it.

It's my plan to make it much more child friendly over the next year or so so watch this space..........

The Juggler
12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
ride-ons/push alongs

digging equipment and little soil area for digging

watering cans

an easel if possible with chalks

paintbrushes for water painting - everywhere!

PixiePetal
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
A 'Tuff Spot' (or builders tray) for messy/imaginative small world play?

I would wait and see what ages you are minding first and go from there though.

dizzycatmojo
12-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I think I will definately go with a play house and the seperate covered area for little ones sounds like a good plan to, at the moment I have an 18 month old's mum waiting for me to get registered which is a good start. :) Lisa.