PDA

View Full Version : Really feeling the strain!!

LisaMcNally09
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
After yesterday and my fantastic Ofsted inspection today I am feeling so stressed!!!

The four year old I mind on an evening came last night from nursery with a letter saying he couldnt recognise any colours. I already knew this and have observed on it and this month we are doing lots of colour focus activities. I also have concerns with this little boy that he may be on the autistic spectrum and am currently researching this and getting lots of support from other proffessionals.

The problem I have is the little boys mum. She isnt interested in helping to develop her LO and thinks its schools 'job'. She sees me as a babysitter and doesnt take anything I say regarding his development seriously. When it comes to school and any concerns they make she says they are talking rubbish!! She wont accept that he may be behind with certain things and seems to think he is above average for things. I know this family very well and she just imagines what she wants to be true IYSWIM.

I dont know how i can help this little boy as mum will not accept anything. If he is on the autistic spectrum I want him to get the support he needs but mum wont hear anything of it. I know when he leaves me at half five hes straight home to bed and then on a morning he goes to nursery then straight to me. On a weekend he spends his time watching army programmes and playing shooting games on the Playstation:eek:

Any advice would be great!!!

margaret
12-01-2010, 01:43 PM
if you are doing all you can for child and involving other professionals,stop worrying,youre involving the parent who is obviously not that interested in educating her child ,you can only do your best ,everyone is different

tigger
12-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately parents are fickle things, I am one. Some parents understand that what you are doing is for their childrens benefit, some know there is a problem and are waiting for help but don't know how to go about it and others may not want to acknowledge that their child is struggling in some way as it means facing up to it and having other people involved. You are doing everything you can for the child and until the parents see things the way they really are your hands are tied. Just keep doing what you are and I'm sure in time things will get easier. One day something will click with the parents and they will accept that they may need a little extra help in order for their child to be able to reach their full potential.

mama2three
12-01-2010, 02:34 PM
keep doing what youre doing. Even if he had a diagnosis and an IEP you would still be taking little steps , giving him short term targets and observing - exactly what youre doing now. he may be in a younger ' age and stage' category than his age for some things but as long as there is progression then you are doing all you can.

It sounds like mum is burying her head in the sand , and something very common , I was previously a senco and it was the norm unfortunately. We even lost a child to another setting as mum didnt want to 'hear' what we were telling her.

Dont be too quick to want to label the lo , all we can do is voice our concerns and leave the diagnosis to the professionals - who will become involved at school stage with or without the parents being on board.