PDA

View Full Version : Wondering?????

Sarah41
12-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi. I look after a 3 year old in the morning and am now attempting obs (my first time and sadly had her for 2 months, but I have made notes previously so will try and look back on them), but I also have a little 3 year old in the afternoons after pre-school. I'm finding it hard to do obs on her, cos when she gets to mine she justs wants her lunch and then has a sleep. How do I deal with this? Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
xxxxxx:laughing:

kez
12-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Its hard when you only have them for an hour or so, but any new words or new interests the child seem to have you can write down, and as you dont have time to do much you could ask the nursey what she has done that day there and extend on that.

Even if you read a book they choose, if they draw a picture, the journey back from the pre-school, meal times,let the child help preparethe lunch with you or having conversations with the child at meal times, you could count pieces of fruit on there plate, talk about the colours taste etr. Ask the parent what the child has done at home or on the weekend.

Also go on the starting points you have made for each child, this is a good starting area.

hope some of this information helps xxx

Sarah41
12-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks hon, thats brilliant. I never thought about most of that. These obs seem to be a bit of a minefield.
xxxx

sarah707
12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
You will chat about all sorts of things during lunch... perfect opportunity to make some notes.

I often introduce a poster to the lunch table and sit back and let the children comment on it...

Or we read a book straight after and I let the children read to me (the dishes wait)...

Or I ask the child to come and help me prepare lunch and we talk about all kinds of things then.

Lots of opportunities to hear or see something worth writing down :D