PDA

View Full Version : Which toys?

Clever Clogs
09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi again

I thought I was doing well with the amount of toys I have that previously belonged to my daughter but when it comes down to it could probably do with getting some others. What toys do you recommend to start up with? I will have 2 baby boys (which isn't a problem got enough toys for them) but what about 3 - 5 range?

Also do you have the toys accessible at all times or do you just bring out a few boxes etc at a time?

Thanks in advance

Tracey

crazybones
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Boys I can help with I have 3 of my own and 4 mindees (more in the hols). 3-5 like dinosaurs, megablocks, cars, trains, jigsaws, lego, sandpit, playmobil, colouring, sandpit, bikes, scooters, planting, plastic animals, trains.

All my toys are in the playroom and they can chose what they want but the rule is "If you want something else out - You have to put something away first.

Annie x

crazybones
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Sorry mentioned trains twice then but they are BIG in our house. Even 10 year old likes to play with the wooden track.

Annie x

lady boss
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi There,

I know what you mean about choosing toys. Just starting up myself, i have lots of girls toys but not enough for boys.
How about dressing up, play doh, drawing, puzzles, books, stickle bricks, dolls, skipping.
Hope thats a bit of help x

Annie_T
09-03-2008, 07:47 PM
dolls, buggy for them, drss up clothes, books, puzzles, tea set, cook set, teddies

thast all i can think of for now hun x

angeldelight
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I am the same as Annie really - if they want something else out then we tidy up first - well they do !

We also have lots of bricks - books - colouring books and pencils - train sets

The boys of all ages will sit for hours playing with the cars

Also I got a tea set and a plastic food set from Asda they come in a container and were £6 each - they are great fun because both the boys and girls love them

In the summer you can use them in the garden with some water for the pretend drinks

Angel xx

Spangles
09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I have the opposite problem, I have boys toys but not really girls things.

I find it hard to buy girls toys because I don't like them myself! How awful is that!

I don't like dolls, especially babies (they give me the creeps) and I don't like my little pony or little puppy things, I think they're horrible! I know I have to buy them but I'm going to leave it until I get a little girl to look after and worry about it then!

I've got a few fake Barbies which I don't mind, I used to love them when I was little, all the clothes and the accessories! I am shocked to see how much the real Barbies are though! Amazing!

crazybones
09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I had to buy another doll buggy in Asda yesterday because William and A fight over the one I have. Sometimes they will use the shopping trolly instead but it only cost £3.50 because you got 2 items for £7, so I got a doll car seat as well. They will probably fight over that now :laughing:

Annie x

angeldelight
09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
You can never go wrong with teasets - bricks - books - colouring books and pencils etc for both boys and girls

xx

Mollymop
09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I got loads of different types of toys and puzzles from charity shops. I can get a bag full of all types of toys for only about £2. The other day I bought 4 Tomy toys and 3 puzzles for £2 and went back and got a bag full of duplo bricks and more baby toys and 3 books all for £1.50!!
So don't forget to check out the charity shops!

mum2three
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Hmmm, I don't categorize my toys into either girls or boys, my daughter loves to play with cars and the wooden train set ( got a load of track and trains off ebay) I have a little boy who loves to dress up (fairy outfit is his favourite at the moment) and he loves to push the doll around in it's pushchair.The duplo is a firm favourite with both boys and girls. When I shop for toys I buy for both boys and girls in mind.

voni:)

sarah707
09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I've got a big box of McDonalds toys I've collected over the years (but you can get them at car boot sales dead cheap)... lots of bits and bobs, mostly toys that do things... dogs that flip, Action Man who goes up a rope etc.

Kids of all ages (with supervision for little ones of course) love having a root and finding things. :D

tulip0803
09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Toy kitchen, food, saucepans and plates etc
Wooden bricks
Brio trains
Buggies (several) always fight over them
dolls (several) as above
dressing up clothes, hats shoes
craft stuff
lego/duplo
small world figures (animals/people)
sit and ride toys/bikes etc
sand/water table
Fuzzy felt
jigsaws
simple games like lotto, we're going on a bear hunt game see link. very simple works on colours and follows story

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10051_98663_100_500020__category_

Cars and garage
farm

sorry in the middle of doing an inventory

Look in the charity shops and boot fairs and also on your local freecycle group www.freecycle.org People offer unwanted stuff for free or you can ask for stuff you want.

Angela234
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I have never seen any toys in our charity shops just clothes and bags books

same as everyone else says really

Cars
Animals
Playmobil
Tea set play food
Books
art things crayons
bricks wooden lego duplo stickle
dressing up
trains
happy land
sand / water
puzzles
games
beads / buttons
peg boards
dolls buggies clothes blankets cot
puppets
trikes ride ons
Balls
Look on ebay i have several bargans on there

Angela

notjusttamum
11-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Tracey,

I am a newbie on here, so fingers crossed you get this reply.

I have tots between 18 months and almost 3 a few days a week. Personally I leave the dolls house and cars/ books out everyday then alternate the mega bloks/ train set/ duplo etc. as and when I think they are reay for a change.
Lots of other activities go on with messy play, wet play and outings so toys are not really a major concern they are busy little bee's..:idea:

hope this is ok

:)
Hi again

I thought I was doing well with the amount of toys I have that previously belonged to my daughter but when it comes down to it could probably do with getting some others. What toys do you recommend to start up with? I will have 2 baby boys (which isn't a problem got enough toys for them) but what about 3 - 5 range?

Also do you have the toys accessible at all times or do you just bring out a few boxes etc at a time?

Thanks in advance

Tracey

SonnysMummy
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi; i'm new. Going on one of my pre-reg info sessions tomorrow. Going to ask this question there but just thought i'd get your take on it... Do i have to have all toys and equipment ready for when ofstead come? By all i mean...toys for all ages and both genders??? It makes more sense to me to wait until i know what the ages of the children i'll be caring for before buying anything.For example, if i just get toddlers what would be the point in buying things for babies? Wouldn't i just buy that stuff if i later took on a baby? Would a wish list of all the toys covering all age groups be enough for ofstead to look at or do you have to have everything so they can see? Kelly x

Pudding Girl
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
making me chuckle seeing so many people refer to certain toys as gender specific lol

I have just bought "unisex" toys I suppose you could call them, need loads more though!

Next on my list are a farm, a bigger Little People house type thingummy, some outdoor smaller toys, teaset, food and some dressing up stuff.

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 09:30 PM
The toys which I find get played with most in my house are the small world toys. Both girls and boys like them. I have a farm, airport, house, fairy boot, bus, and loads of multicultural characters.

Clever Clogs
11-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks very much for all your replies - it's certainly helped. Just need to bring in some money so I can get buying!

Cheers
Tracey

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 06:16 AM
The money would def help with this little lot Tracey haha

Have fun

Angel xx

mjw
12-03-2008, 06:48 AM
You can never go wrong with duplo. The most popular toys are ones that children can have limitless games with using their imagination....bricks, small world, cars and trains, playdough. ........dressing up hats just a few I can think of at the moment
Mary

miffy
12-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Don't forget colouring and junk modelling - mine love all of that and if you save things like boxes it costs very little

For colouring I just print some pictures from the internet whatever we're doing like easter or what I know they like and put them in plastic wallets in a folder - kids can then choose their own - Ofsted liked that idea

Miffy xx