PDA

View Full Version : Potty training!

bec123
11-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Last week the little boy I mind full time arrived with pants in his bag and I was told he'd done really well on potty and that if I had time could I put him on the potty. He arrived in a nappy so wasn't sure quite what to make of it. In my opinion you either potty train and do it properly not give a child mixed signals of having a nappy on but then wear pants when mum/dad can be bothered.

Anyway we had a few wees on teh potty but I did suggest to mum that if she wanted to start him off potty training properly this weekend i.e. in pants all the time then i would happily carry it on for her. I personally don't think he's ready (he's 2 1/2) but doesn't know when he's had a wee or a poo.

He arrived this morning wearing a nappy again! I put him in pants after he was dropped off but I feel it will be a losing battle if i put the effort in while he's here wiht me but mum just brings him in a nappy every morning.
What are your opinions on this??

gigglinggoblin
11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I would leave him in the nappy. Ask him if he wants to use the potty and put him on when he does but 2.5 is quite young and I agree you either go for it fully or dont.

madredann
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Potty training is difficult I am doing it with my mindee at the moment. At first I thought the lo would ask for the potty that was the impression I got from home. It didnt work too well here so now I have started to put her on the potty when I think she might need one e.g half an hour after a drink, before dinner, before we go out. She has been dry today. I have a chart to show how I am helping you can find them athttp://www.PottyPatty.com I have a Dora one but they do others cars, etc. The children spend a lot of time with me so it is a joint venture. The chart will tell mom what and how you are doing it and how well lo is getting on. If he is not doing well tell her. He prob comes in nappy in case he wets en-route and hasnt time to change him etc.
Hope that helps
Julie

PixiePetal
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I agree, I always say I will support them and continue when they have been having success at home. :)

chewy sweets
11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm potty training my son at the moment. Well not quite- he's doing all the work himself! He's only 19 months old but he sees the other children i mind using the potty so he's catching on too. I still put pull ups on him and only put him on the potty if he asks. He's doing really well. x

Carol
11-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Have you noticed that the child is drier longer inbetween changing them!
I find if so then they are ready. I also understand parents sometimes have brought their lo in a nappy as they have travelled in a car so it can avoid the car seats getting wet. But if you mind them all day you will know when they are ready. Good Luck

Carol xx

Lainey Lou
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Hiya Bec, potty training is a tricky one isn't it as all children are different. I've just potty trained my daughter who is nearly 2 and a half and started with it as she kept telling me when she was wet/dirty and taking her nappy off every time she did something in it.

I must say though when I first started training her it was pants in the house but when I took her out I did put trainer pants on her just in case of accidents in the car seat or when we were out etc, so that is maybe what the parents are doing as well? My daughter is dry now during the day but I still put trainer pants on her if we take her out somewhere where there isn't easy access to loos but I do tell her to tell me if she needs the toilet which she does. I am going to gradually stop using trainer pants over the next month or so though whilst we are out, its just whilst she is getting used to controlling holding her bladder!

Sounds to me though from what you say, if he doesn't know if he is wet etc, he may not be ready anyway?

HTH xx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
11-01-2010, 09:09 PM
hi,

ive just started potty training my daughter, shes nearly 2 1/2, ive been doing it since christmas and we had days when she would wee in the potty once and then 6/7 times in her trousers in one day :( was about to give up and then in the last 3 days shes really come on.

We have a sticker reward chart, for everytime she uses her potty, after 10 she get a 10p mix of sweets. She has 13 stickers on her reward chart (12from the last 3 days) and is doing really well.

Everytime she has used the potty she goes running into the lounge and shouts sticker, sticker and says the name of my minded childs mum!! i ask her if she want me to tell the mum and she says yes,yes,yes!
As shes been making a big thing about my daughters reward chart.

Its like its just clicked with her, she made me laugh when she went to the down stairs toliet and as it was in use, she ran upstairs to the other toliet, took her nappy off and trousers and managed to get onto the toliet:laughing: :laughing: and used it

At the moment if we go out on a school run or to the shops im still putting a nappy on her but as soon as were home it comes off, it took us 1hour round trip to walk to school and back again today and dont feel its fair to get her to use a portable potty in this weather:D

bec123
12-01-2010, 01:04 PM
I really don't feel he is ready. He will sit for ages on the potty but then wee in his trousers. We've had 2 lots of pooey pants already today!

I've trained my own 2 daughters, my youngest was potty training when I was training another mindee who was 6 months older than her, my daughter was only 20 months old and picked it up really quickly. Last year I potty trained another mindee (boy this time) and his mum spent a week with him at home training him before he came to me and although we had a few accidents we got there!

I've printed off a reward chart and got some smarties as a treat but he is not in the slightest bit interested! Not sure this is going to be easy!

madredann
12-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Does mom send pull-ups sometimes they help