PDA

View Full Version : confrontation with parent

terrydoo73
11-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I have landed myself in a bit of bother with a parent. I was so fed up last year with not having a truly accurate record of my day with mindees and felt I that should improve things so I invested in a couple of diaries. The intention is that if I have problems, difficulties or little things that happen I record them in the diary for the parent to see and then come back to me on it. Now my parent has written in the diary that they are not happy - they would prefer me to raise the issues I have when they come to collect the child in the evening - I don't want this because they never have time to discuss it with me properly while their children wants to go home, it is late in the evening when they do come to collect the children and I want my own time with my child, there are other children in my setting for whom I have to continue caring for while the parent tries to discuss things with me and generally the parent prefers to give me a telling off for not handling things correctly. How do you win?

The 3 issues the parent wants to discuss are: tidying up at the wrong times, the youngest asking for the tv on all the time and the older sister mucking about. I told my hubby who is my assistant and he flew off the handle with me by saying why did I put those things in the diary in the first place - the diary he thought was for only recording nappy changing, eating patterns etc. I personally feel that I am having to live my day with children who are not complying with my idea of childminding and cannot adequately express this to him or parents.

The first point about tidying up - when toys are scattered over the floor and I can see some being broken or trampled on that I would put them away in the boxes again - it is not fully tidying up the place just putting those things away that are not being played with and what happens - this parents child wants to put everything away all at the same time but it is what happens after she has done this - she goes and sits on the couch and will not play with any other toy. I have tried explaining all this to the child aged 4 but still she will not play with anything else just sits and watches every other child in the setting. When she is in a mood for playing I would ask her to ensure as I think she is at the age when she knows that whatever she plays with or brings out should be put away. Is this being unreasonable?

The question over her youngest wanting the tv on all the time - I just keep retelling him that tv is not on because we are playing and don't need the tv but he can watch the tv when he goes home at night. I really do not see the problem the parent might have with this principle.

When I refer to the eldest child mucking about I mean that she starts pulling her little brother around the floor and I am concerned from a safety point of view for both of them but also for the other children in my care. I have asked the eldest child repeatedly not to do this but I feel it is a case of attention seeking - she really just wants to see my reaction every time but I maintain the same stance - not getting angry just quietly repeating my concerns about hurting her brother and maybe even the other 2 children in my care.

At present I feel like the lowest of the low in society raising these issues but I just cannot handle the problems I am having with the 2 children and feel like even terminating the contract because of the way it continually happens and the parents way of dealing with me. She is a school teacher and her attitude to me is one of "you will listen to me and do as I say right".

Last year she gave me a hard time over a simple accident her eldest child had in the back yard - a bruise on the cheek caused by a fall. She refused to sign the accident report form for weeks and even took advice on it. In the end I just told her that if she had a problem she could take a claim through my insurance but she kept saying "but something else must have happened to cause such a bruising".

I have had these children from they were 9 months old each and now the eldest is at nursery every morning and due to start school in September. The second child will start nursery next year. Mum indicated to me that they would probably be with me forever but right now I do not know if I want them when they go to school.

I am dreading the confrontation this afternoon and with the mood I am in right now know I will just burst into tears and say nothing to really justify my concerns and in them being raised in the diary.

emmadines
11-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I have landed myself in a bit of bother with a parent. I was so fed up last year with not having a truly accurate record of my day with mindees and felt I that should improve things so I invested in a couple of diaries. The intention is that if I have problems, difficulties or little things that happen I record them in the diary for the parent to see and then come back to me on it. Now my parent has written in the diary that they are not happy - they would prefer me to raise the issues I have when they come to collect the child in the evening - I don't want this because they never have time to discuss it with me properly while their children wants to go home, it is late in the evening when they do come to collect the children and I want my own time with my child, there are other children in my setting for whom I have to continue caring for while the parent tries to discuss things with me and generally the parent prefers to give me a telling off for not handling things correctly. How do you win?

The 3 issues the parent wants to discuss are: tidying up at the wrong times, the youngest asking for the tv on all the time and the older sister mucking about. I told my hubby who is my assistant and he flew off the handle with me by saying why did I put those things in the diary in the first place - the diary he thought was for only recording nappy changing, eating patterns etc. I personally feel that I am having to live my day with children who are not complying with my idea of childminding and cannot adequately express this to him or parents.

The first point about tidying up - when toys are scattered over the floor and I can see some being broken or trampled on that I would put them away in the boxes again - it is not fully tidying up the place just putting those things away that are not being played with and what happens - this parents child wants to put everything away all at the same time but it is what happens after she has done this - she goes and sits on the couch and will not play with any other toy. I have tried explaining all this to the child aged 4 but still she will not play with anything else just sits and watches every other child in the setting. When she is in a mood for playing I would ask her to ensure as I think she is at the age when she knows that whatever she plays with or brings out should be put away. Is this being unreasonable?

The question over her youngest wanting the tv on all the time - I just keep retelling him that tv is not on because we are playing and don't need the tv but he can watch the tv when he goes home at night. I really do not see the problem the parent might have with this principle.

When I refer to the eldest child mucking about I mean that she starts pulling her little brother around the floor and I am concerned from a safety point of view for both of them but also for the other children in my care. I have asked the eldest child repeatedly not to do this but I feel it is a case of attention seeking - she really just wants to see my reaction every time but I maintain the same stance - not getting angry just quietly repeating my concerns about hurting her brother and maybe even the other 2 children in my care.

At present I feel like the lowest of the low in society raising these issues but I just cannot handle the problems I am having with the 2 children and feel like even terminating the contract because of the way it continually happens and the parents way of dealing with me. She is a school teacher and her attitude to me is one of "you will listen to me and do as I say right".

Last year she gave me a hard time over a simple accident her eldest child had in the back yard - a bruise on the cheek caused by a fall. She refused to sign the accident report form for weeks and even took advice on it. In the end I just told her that if she had a problem she could take a claim through my insurance but she kept saying "but something else must have happened to cause such a bruising".

I have had these children from they were 9 months old each and now the eldest is at nursery every morning and due to start school in September. The second child will start nursery next year. Mum indicated to me that they would probably be with me forever but right now I do not know if I want them when they go to school.

I am dreading the confrontation this afternoon and with the mood I am in right now know I will just burst into tears and say nothing to really justify my concerns and in them being raised in the diary.

the high lighted area is prob what i would say to them and maybe add that you are willing to talk to them at a quieter point in time?

youarewhatyoueat
11-01-2010, 10:02 AM
The idea of a daily diary is to tell the parents what the children have been doing,eating,sleeping,nappys etc. not to write complaints.
I would perhaps have a rethink, have a chat with the parents regarding the problems you seem to be having.
Don't forget to record the good things the children have been doing, perhaps mum was a bit taken aback over suddenly receiving a diary which recorded the problems. Try to see it from their point of veiw.
I would suggest a plan of action with mum over the issues, try compromising on the tv, having it on for a specific programme or put a song and action dvd on then you can all join in.
Nothing worse than a confrontation, be ready with what you plan to say.
You can tell I hate the idea of confrontation and if it was me I would probably back down, but thats me, you have to stand by what you believe. Good luck

estrelas
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I also write only positives in the diary.
I may write over tired, etc but generally write good things.
If we have had an incident I need to talk about i write call later at the bottom, if I know we wont get time to talk. I like to think when the child is older they can look back on the diary and remember things

As for the actually issues i'm not sure sorry, maybe arrange a proper sit down with the parent and sort it before you feel any worse?
Sending hugs x

Chatterbox Childcare
11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I think you need to rethink your behaviour policy as the problems that you are having with the children really should be dealt with inhouse rather than "wait till your father gets home"

If you are having problems with the children tidying up them only get small amounts out, if the younger one doesn't get off the sofa leave her there and play with the others, preferably out of sight but within earshot (they get fed up and curious about what they are missing), be strong and don't let them play until they have tidied up, Next day don't get much out at all, just crayons etc and they will see that to play they need to tidy up

As to the tv - is it your tv? Turn it off at the wall.

Sounds like the children are telling you what to do rather than the other way around - maybe mums attitude

Parents go to work and pay us to look after their children and if you run back to mum when you have a problem she will worry, possible look for a different type of minder and won't listen to you when you really need it.

Reading this back it sounds very negative (it is not a go at you or anyone but what works for me) but take the positive from everyone and it will work.

Again be strong, decide what you want in your house and come up with a plan to make it happen. If you hubby is working alongside you, talk to him.

madredann
11-01-2010, 10:43 AM
It is good to let parents know what is going on but some things have to be dealt with by us as they happen. I would of perhaps spoke to parents rather than put it in diary but dont think you should talk about these things in front the children concerned/other children and possibly other parents.(confidentiality) You need to make appointments or ask them to pop round at a suitable time. Parents do need to know good and bad things. Perhaps a letter with more detail might of been better with your plan of how you are going to deal with the problems/what help parents could be.

jo f
11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I generally keep my daily diary positive and written from the childs point of veiw, althouth I have a bit at the bottom for childminders comments. I write any difficulties in there if its behaviour, mood changes etc.
I do try to tell parents when they pick up or give them an indication that somethin is written in there- If an incident has been over and done with a while ago and want mum to know its going on but not neccesarily drawing negative attention to it again in front of child. Does that make sense?

caz3007
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
When I was having problems with much older children, I talked to the parents about what sort of things I was going to put into place and asked their advice too. It worked for me and I must admit I have a good working relationship with my parents. Perhaps you need to think a little about how you want to deal with the problems and then talk to the parents in a more light hearted way.

To be honest, the only problem that would concern me would be the pulling around. I have a small child who constantly asks for the TV 0n, but he doesnt get his own way, he gets told later.

terrydoo73
11-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your replies.

As I am writing I am sitting in floods of tears because I realise I am the worst childminder in the world. I really should look for some other job I think.

Problem I find is I cannot see the positives. What do I see in a child sitting on the couch all day not playing - what is positive in this? To me it is very hard because you feel that the child really doesn't want to be with me and is demonstrating that by her refusal to play with anything.

I do have what I term structured play where I restrict the toys to a few so that we really learn to play with what it available - these 2 particular children never handle the toys I put out during this time preferring instead to watch from a distance while I engage with the other 2. Despite my encouragement they still do not do anything - I have even seen the eldest child ripping all the clothes off a doll I had just shown her how to put on and then throw the doll away laughing at me. How do you think this makes me feel? I just have to go into another room and cry before I do anything.

Maybe I am too emotionally attached to the whole thing I don't know.

To me it is pointless referring to something that happened during the day - it is over with, dealt with by me but if it continually happens then it has to be dealt with - like the tv issue.

What do I want to happen in my setting? I want the children to come in every day, go to the playroom, pick and toy and really play with it, put it away when they are finished with it, then choose a different one and do the same thing all over again. You see while I am typing this I am thinking of what they are doing at present - coming into my house, running around looking at everything not touching, then getting up onto the couch and staying there for long periods. They will get up, examine a box or two never touching it and to be honest at the end of the day I have to think "now what exactly did they do" and I have nothing positive to write in the diary.

youarewhatyoueat
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
You are not the worst childminder!!
But why is the child sitting on the couch all day, I am sure you don't mean that!! I know the weather is bad but when it improves you need to get out more, I go out every morning and only come home for lunch and then the afternoon flies by, I could not stay in, I would go nuts!!!! never mind the kids.
I go to children centres over 10 miles away and toddler groups as I live in a rural area and don't see anyone if I don't get out.
Give it a few more weeks and the weather will improve and we can get out easier.
Sending you a hug xxx

Ps try putting some music on and having a dance contest, just have a laugh and chill, forget eyfs for the week and go with the flow, try to see what their interests are , perhaps they have changed, I hate mess but I try to ignore it untill 12 and lunchtime. I'm stuck in with 3 under 2's and to be honest they have been fine up till now and they are starting to get a bit bvored so got to go, bye xxx

Shivvie
11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Big hugs to you. I can't write much as I have to get back (hubby watching children at mo) but I just wanted to let you know that you're not the worst childminder! The very fact you are posting on here and asking for advice makes you a very good childminder!

From what you say, I feel that everything is just getting on top of you at the moment and you can't see light at the end of the tunnel. Why don't you and your husband have a sit down and discuss different ways of re-structuring your day?

Did you have a holiday over Christmas or if not, is it a long time until your next one? Maybe you could do with a few days off to re-charge. This job is absolutely 'full-on' and you definitely need a break every now and then. I know I do!! I sat in our playroom over Christmas one evening and broke down! I felt like the walls were closing in on me! We did some decorating and rearranged the toys, bought a new shed and removed lots of clutter. It feels so much better now.

As for the mother, speak to her and explain that you find it hard to talk to her after work and arrange an appointment. At the end of the day, you are doing your best for her children but if she and these children are making you unhappy and, after discussing it with your hubby and not being able to find a solution, then maybe it would be better if you gave notice.

Sorry if I haven't made any sense. I just wanted to write and try to make you feel better. You are not the worst childminder :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
11-01-2010, 12:12 PM
You are not the worst childminder and I expect if you look back at other children that you have had then you have done loads

If the children are sitting down to watch tv I wonder if that this is all they do at home (you originally said mum is "say as I do").

From my experience you will be lucky if they get one thing out and put it away - wish!

I have toys out everywhere and as we speak my 3 year old is saying "watch tele Debbie" and when I say "no" it was "why". My tv is not going on and I have gone to the kitchen and he will get fed up of not having anyone to answer too.

Okay so lets try the little one - she plays with toys and when it is tidy up time she sits on the sofa and says "no". You walk away from her and I expect she will move and find you as she will be bored, don't run back to her when she calls.

See how that goes. Baby steps, one at a time.

Look back at others that you have looked after and see how things were different.

Ripeberry
11-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Maybe you are trying to hard to entertain them? Maybe they just don't 'play' at home and their parents always want the toys tidyed away, that is why the 4yr old finds it 'stressfull' to have toys out.
Some good suggestions above, why not try dancing, get all the pots and pans out of the kitchen and make some noise.
Get some sheets and drape them around furniture and make dens.
Eat lunch in one of the dens
Just make it mad and interesting, kids can't resist joining in ;)

madredann
11-01-2010, 12:26 PM
As above. Use things that the children do not recognise as toys if you know what I mean.

Twinkles
11-01-2010, 12:39 PM
There are lots of positive ideas here.

I would just like to add that maybe you could arrange to telephone the parent at a mutually convenient time to discuss behaviour issues.

Blaze
11-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I would explain to the parent that you wewre trying to improve lines of communication by using the diaries as it's hard for you to talk properly / give attention that's needed at collection time - would she prefer to use the tlephone/ emails. I use diaries & put mainly positive comments - but if there is an issue I will write it in & ask for parents to cal between x & x time to discuss.

It does sound as if the children don't actually know how to play (which is becoming increasingly common)....i would recommend your TV " get broken" - unplug it! If it's not working - it can't be used!;)

Then spend one on one with the kids - get them playing then withdraw IYSWIM - dough / sand / junk modelling etc are great for this:thumbsup:

Chin up - we all get too close - so we can't see the woods for the trees!

Oh & you are not the worse CM - your asking for advice - that proves it!:)

gigglinggoblin
11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
From what you have said I get the impression you are stressed out and concerned that the children are not having fun. That doesnt make you a bad childminder at all.

Avoid confrontation when parent comes, make an excuse. Would it be possible to say you didnt mean it to come out like it did, you are just concerned about the kids? If its a bad time to talk then ask if you can talk on the phone, you might find that easier anyway and I have had long phone conversations with school about my ds, its easier for the parent too if the kids are not hanging around. I would apologise, she obviously was upset and I am sure that wasnt the intention so it wont so any harm. I do think you need to talk to her though as it obnviously cant go on for much longer like it is.

The tidying and the tv I think it up to you to sort out. If he is desperate for tv give him a time it can go on and stick to the same schedule - my kids watch a it after lunch as they dont nap (but need to really), it slows them down for a bit and they lay on the sofa for a bit. Choose something not too long so you can say it will go off when this finishes. Some kids like to know what is happening so it might help. Assuming mum is ok with tv time.

The tidying I am a bit confused by - if you try to put a few bits away she puts the whole lot away then wont play at all? Maybe mum has come across this and you can say you are concerned she is unhappy and does mum have any tips or things that work at home. We are supposed to work in partnership!

Dragging little bro around is a problem and I also think its up to you to sort it at the time but I would let mum know what you are going to do, if its time out or stickers for good behaviour so she is aware incase child says anything and she gets worried.

You can feel very ground down by kids and it can become hard work but I find having quite strict rules you stick to can help a lot. If you agree strategies to try and sort the issues out I am sure things will improve.

wendywu
11-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Terry this is just one parent and from the sound of it she is not a people person and sounds a bit of a pain.

Your DH flying off in a tizzy fit did not help as well.

This is not a big deal in the whole scheme of things.

I do put the odd problem in the diary but tend to slant it to, we had this problem i sorted it out and it **** has promised not to do it again. It is the ...you can leave it all to me because i can cope, but just letting you know...method.

I see nothing wrong with an after school child watching TV after all some have been at school from 7.45. I often put it on for an hour after they have had their dinner. One child will watch it, the others do not.

Do not fret too much over this parent, after all it is your call and you do not have to have these mindees if you do not choose to. Big hugs x:D

terrydoo73
11-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Well I had my confrontation with the parent today - at the side of the road!

She stated initially that she did not like the diary idea, was unsure of its purpose and preferred that I kept it to myself but by the end of the conversation she agreed that it was good to continue with its use.

I felt I was able to make my feelings known to her although it may result in withdrawal of the children from my setting in the immediate future.

When I came back home (I had left the children to her laneway) I recorded everything she had said to me and my response to it.

She stated that it was obvious the things I was raising were not happening at home so could not advise me how to handle these situations. I explained that this was one of the reasons why I had started the diary - I am working with her 2 children 9 hours a day 5 days a week after all and if there is a problem that occurs at 10 am in the morning I wouldn't necessarily remember it at 5 pm in the evening so recorded it in the diary. I reiterated the purpose of this diary - to raise concerns I had as regards my reaction to her childrens behaviour, was I acting correctly, is this the way she would have dealt with it or how could I handle it for future reference.

She admitted her youngest child did have a problem coming to my setting particular on the days I had 2 others (his cousins) and I stated that if she felt the child was uncomfortable coming to me should this not be addressed as soon as possible by her and her husband as his parents as it was difficult for me to handle this problem. I also pointed out that having problems now could lead to difficulty when he starts nursery in September when there would be 20 more children to deal with. She also said that this child preferred his own space and was happiest outside pottering about in the garage examining his dads tools. I said that I was sorry but I couldn't let this happen for health and safety reasons and perhaps she might prefer someone working within her own home to allow him to continue with this playtime.

She also said she would be ringing the nursery her daughter attends to see if these same problems were occuring there. I said that this was highly unlikely as I felt in a nursery setting there were more children and staff to handle problems effectively and efficiently. She agreed with this.

As I said I believe I may lose these children - I have had them both since they were 9 months old. They do not come to me for 8 weeks in the summer, 2 at Christmas and 2 at Easter. I think a lot of the problems arise from the fact that when they are with mum and dad for the 2 weeks at Christmas they find it difficult to adjust to the fact that mum and dad have to go to work every day.

Trouble
11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
unless ive read it wrong the reason it doesnt happen at home is cause there never there they are with you 9 hours a day 5 days a week it probably bath and then bed when they get back:rolleyes:

dont let this woman make you feel this way you are an excellent childminder so let the kids go to whereever and fine some better ones where the parent are nice as she sounds horrid:angry:

i would put her down to experience and move on:D

big hugs sweetie xxxx

Curly Quavers
11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I keep my diaries positive as possible.

If I have had to fill in an incident report perhaps due to biting then in the diary I simply put discussion as per incident report. (which they have to sign)

If I have issues that are not serious enough to fill an incident report over I either try my damndest to sort it my self or speak to parents verbally. What I have also found (if it's nothing to serious) speaking to the parent and wording it in such away that you are almost asking for advise. I have found it makes them feel less like they are being attached for the child's behaviour. (I know some might think this is just beating around the bush) but I have found it gets your points across with out effecting your working relationship with the parent.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Good Luck.

nannymcflea
11-01-2010, 07:13 PM
It reads to me that she has admitted there are no issues at home because X is allowed to wander around the garage by himself, so no confrontation from parents, X does as he wants!

As for the diaries..mum doesn't want to know about their behaviour or doesn't want to know what they do during the day? Strange on both accounts.

Don't beat yourself up over something you thought would benefit the children and your setting, in the long run it may be a very good thing as mum needs to know.:)

chin up.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Well done you - the fact that you have persevered with mum over this, even if it means you losing the children, shows that you have put their welfare before your own. What a fantastic childminder you are. :)

jumpinjen
11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Just a different angle on this to help you possibly in the short term..... you say that it is not your view of how childminding should be and they won't play with one thing and tidy it away,then get another, well this isn't my experience of most children to be honest!!!! I find that both my own childrena nd the mindees combine toys and sets of materials to meet their ideas of a game or play idea, and there are lots of things out. Perhaps your expectations in this area could be tweaked a little so it doesn't bother you quite so much... it's normal to play with several things out.

Also, you mentionedd about structured play time where you choose the toys and they don't want to play with them.... i suggest you don't do this if it isn't working for you and them!! We are encouraged now to 'follow the child' so the child's choice is better (but hard if they are sitting on the sofa not doing anything!!)

Perhaps you need to completely shake things up and surprise them by changing the tactics...... I applaud you for not letting them stick the telly on the whole time..... i hang a pretty blanket over mine and put baskets of books in front of it. perhaps every time the LO asks for the telly, you pull out a book and say 'lets read this together', i think that children can understand that there are different rules in different places and reading a book together could divert from a negative "no" to a postive thing!

Try cooking with them, or just one or two at a time if your husband is there as an assistant to play with the other children. Make a den with blankets and a chair and crawl inside to tell the bear hunt story, act it out and get them doing it too. Are there playgroups that you could go to regularly so you have a routine of stimulating places to go to that take the pressure of your resources and ideas???

if the LO is upset by his/her cousins then perhaps that needs exploring with both sets of parents.... what is upsetting him/her and what can be done alltogether to solve it as it can't be nice for the little one and definately is making your head ache??

If the older one is old enough, go through house rules/boundaries together and get him/her to help you make a poster to show them..... good guidelines for house rules are to have a maximum of five and try to make them positive e.g "we are kind to eachother" rather than "don't hit". Although you don't have to make it a rule that there is no rough play, it could be a time to discuss that you don't like it and won't allow it as it may hurt others. Again, try positive diversion when it starts, start a physical jumping/action game instead if he/she has a need to be physical it needs to be addressed!

It sounds like you work very hard to care for the children that you mind and to give them a good time and we all get to the end of our energy sometimes, and we don't know what else to do.... you will go through it though so chin up and decide on a plan of action!!!! you can do it!!

Jenni xxxxxxx

terrydoo73
11-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks Jenni - yes I know exactly what you mean by bringing out different things to use in a play activity - I have done this by bringing out a sleeping bag, a pop up tent and a torch which the children will watch with interest - the eldest girl usually would grab the torch and run away to a corner to examine it closely!! I have also done this with Mega Blocks in building tracks and put the cars on them. Also have done a teddy bears picnic by getting the dolls clothes out and asking them to help me dress them, then bringing out a shopping basket to put all the cups, plates and food in.

Structured play time. I found that opening up my playroom resulted in the twins and other 2 just pulling too much out and never actually playing with anything in particular. I do structured play time at the beginning of the day purely to help them all settle in and again when I have some down for a nap as it keeps the house quiet for the rest. Determining what is brought out at this time is done by following all the childrens interests as well as an item that they wouldn't normally play with so I can focus in on this and help them to enjoy hopefully a new experience!

I agree that the parents need to address the issue with the child not wanting the twins to be there - I feel that this is why I put it in the diary in the first place! Mum even agreed with me today that she recognises he has a problem on the days the twins are with me.

Maybe coming to this point today has helped me break through this barrier of feeling I am employed to basically look after the children for 9 hours a day and whatever I do in that time is of no concern to the parents.

As for playgroups - I am stuck in that most toddler groups run from 10.30 to 12 noon because my eldest mindee comes out of nursery at 11.15 and by the time I get to the toddler group I have to turn around again. One thing that has been happening 2 mornings a week is extended play time for this eldest mindee so she will be in for the extra 3/4 hour. This is something I discovered purely by accident - mum didn't tell me she was signed up for this but granny did!! Although it makes no difference as there are no toddler groups on these 2 mornings near me!

jumpinjen
11-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I see how you are using the structured play now, and it is a good idea to try and bring them into playing in that way.... i do find that children seem to have phases when they never want to play with anything and nothing will entertain them for longer than a few minutes. It drives me crackers and i seem to be constantly tidying up after them!! is this one of those times..... were they ever ok before?? How are the twins??

Jenni

terrydoo73
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
The twins are great - having this structured play time first thing really calms them. I only have 3 days a week with them and always find the first day difficult as they want to investigate everything having forgotten it from the previous week. Before Christmas they were into trucks, cars, lorries and tractors now it seems to be trains. I am trying to encourage them to run them on tracks - I never actually set up the track but show them how one piece goes to the other piece and have little tunnels, bridges and houses which they seem to really love exploring!

They do tend to flit between toys and pull out loads when they go into the playroom so yes I feel at times I am constantly tidying up. The eldest is so determined to play with something other than toys and they are both at the stage of expressing their desire to play with something by pointing and screeching!

They are full of hugs and kisses especially when they see you on the carpet beside them which is really lovely - at present their mum is going through cancer treatment having had a breast removed in the week after Christmas. She wants to keep continuity of care until she returns to work and as she is getting full pay and it is not affecting her tax credits as yet is paying me for the immediate anyway!

I am really looking forward to the better weather because they love outside and will walk forever! We live on a farm and have a 1/2 mile length of lane from my house to the road so I did take them for walks up and down that last autumn. They were exhausted and that is what I like! When the lambs come and the cows with their new calves are out in the field it will be brilliant - we have calves in the sheds beside our house and we would take them out to see these occasionally.