PDA

View Full Version : Are you dyslexic?

thinkfun
10-01-2010, 07:29 PM
How many other childminders are dyslexic?

Just had someone point out to me an error, in a post I made. Felt a right fool. My spelling is terrible, I’m always using the wrong word and I can’t proofread. I sit here with two dictionaries, checking every word, I have spell check on the PC and when I can’t find a word I’m looking for I ask my son (who also dyslexic, so it’s can be like the blind leading the blind sometimes) it takes forever to write anything.

How do other childminders cope?

Do you tell the parents you work for?

Who proofreads your paperwork?

Is there any good software out there that you can use on the PC that you can talk too instead of having to type and that can read your work back to you?

It took me over a year before I felt brave enough to make my first post on here.

sue m
10-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Hiya, I'm not but I'm like it with figures ifswim. I'm hopeless at maths, and I really mean hopeless, just can't do it.

Spangles is lovely and she honestly wasn't being funny, she just isn't like that. We all make spelling mistakes on here so please don't worry about yours, you're not the only one. :thumbsup: You will get to know us all and realise we're not going to think anything about it.

I think I'd probably tell the parents I was if you feel comfortable with it but sorry, I don't know about any software. Some of the others have knowledge of dyslexia, fraid I don't.

Keep posting!!! :D

Kelly
10-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi there, I am not dyslexic, but still make plenty of spelling mistakes. I see loads of sp mistakes on here so it's a shame someone felt they should point your mistake out!!

However, I did post last week that I am supporting a childminder who has dyslexia with the EYFS and asked if there were any childminders out there who also suffers with dyslexia and has managed to work effectively with the EYFS. How do you do your observations and planning? or is this an area you also strullge with?

Kelly
10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
or is this an area you also strullge with?

See told you I make plenty of mistakes!!! lol :D

LOOPYLISA
10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Hiya, I'm not but I'm like it with figures ifswim. I'm hopeless at maths, and I really mean hopeless, just can't do it.

Spangles is lovely and she honestly wasn't being funny, she just isn't like that. We all make spelling mistakes on here so please don't worry about yours, you're not the only one. :thumbsup: You will get to know us all and realise we're not going to think anything about it.

I think I'd probably tell the parents I was if you feel comfortable with it but sorry, I don't know about any software. Some of the others have knowledge of dyslexia, fraid I don't.

Keep posting!!! :D

You and me both Sue, Em helps me :blush:

sue m
10-01-2010, 07:47 PM
The person who 'pointed the mistake out' was honestly trying to be helpful and not being funny. Ask anyone on here if you need any help with anything, you're not the only one, honest. x

sue m
10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I decided not to mention that Kelly :laughing:

You too then Lisa, I can't add up once I've run out of fingers and toes and I certainly can't subtract or multiply or divide! :eek:

See told you I make plenty of mistakes!!! lol :D[/QUOTE]

Pauline
It took me over a year before I felt brave enough to make my first post on here.

Please don't ever feel awkward at posting. The majority of people here are understanding of the fact that we have members of different abilities and I know for sure that the person who pointed out the mistake was doing it as a way of helping and in no way as a criticism. :)

I suppose spell check is the only option on paperwork but then again it won't help if there are several options. There are various bits of software but they are expensive.

Pipsqueak

Just had someone point out to me an error, in a post I made. Felt a right fool. My spelling is terrible, I’m always using the wrong word and I can’t proofread. I sit here with two dictionaries, checking every word, I have spell check on the PC and when I can’t find a word I’m looking for I ask my son (who also dyslexic, so it’s can be like the blind leading the blind sometimes) it takes forever to write anything.

Is there any good software out there that you can use on the PC that you can talk too instead of having to type and that can read your work back to you?

and I hope you continue to post:D

I am sure that there was no offence meant at all - we are all pretty much respectful and there are a few posters on here who are dyslexic.
We quite often point out mistakes in jest and sometimes don't think anymore about it. Perhaps I am explaining it wrong.

Pauline
10-01-2010, 07:54 PM
We quite often point out mistakes in jest and sometimes don't think anymore about it. Perhaps I am explaining it wrong.

No you are not Pip, I know what you mean. I sometimes I go to have a dig at someone who posts a mistake. If I know them well then I do, but if I don't then I leave it - in case I cause offence. :)

Pauline
10-01-2010, 07:58 PM
and I have to say this Thinkfun, if you hadn't pointed it out, I really wouldn't have known you were dyslexic, I just thought you were rushing through the forum like me - leaving spelling and grammar mistakes behind you :laughing::laughing:

sue m
10-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Me too :thumbsup: :D

Pipsqueak
10-01-2010, 08:02 PM
No you are not Pip, I know what you mean. I sometimes I go to have a dig at someone who posts a mistake. If I know them well then I do, but if I don't then I leave it - in case I cause offence. :)

thats what I was searching for in my memory banks - I don't think there is anyone who would be judgemental about someone on here - and if they were being unconstructively critical then they would soon be sorted out!!! lol

think I'd better just shut up now ....... LOOOOOOOOOONG day:D

Heaven Scent
10-01-2010, 08:30 PM
i'm not dyslexic andd can spell and am really quit fussy about grammar I can touch type too. - except you wouldn't think it when reading a lot of the stuff I post on here - I see what I write on here as a chat and my brain works way faster than my fingers ever can type - infact when I talk my mouth can't keep up either.

I haven't seen the thread where you feel you've been pulled up so I can't comment - There was once a member who did post a thread suggesting that we should all check our grammar and spelling before we click on Submit - She didn't get very favourable replies. I think if we all did that then the forum would lose its soul and not be as special as it it.

Take comfort that none of us are perfect and we all have our demons that pull us down - My big demon is my fear of all things IT related so I know how you feel.

I used to work with children who had dyslexia so understand your difficulties to some extent - I also help a minder local to me with some of her paperwork when I can - her situation is slightly different to yours but - the EYFS paperwork causes her great difficulties too and she can't use computers (even worse than me) and can't spell so she has to handwrite everything with a dictionary on hand for spelling.

There are some ways around it - you could get yourself a dictaphone for observations and do them orally - same with daily diaries - I actually have devised a form which I higlight and e-mail to parents daily for and just add a few comments and ask them to confirm receipt and comment if they feel necessary - we are not required to do these - just to prove that we work in partnership with parents - that is just one way so as long as you can prove that you do communicate with parents and act on their comments etc then you will be fine.

We are required to recognise the unique child - each minder is unique too and we all have different needs and once we point these out to ofsted then they must respect our methods.

With regard to telling the parents of mindees - I'd judge each on their own merit - if you feel you would like to then do it - you may feel more comfortable confiding in some but not in others - its your business entirely so don't feel pressured into doing anything you don't want to - also if you don't feel they will be sensitive to your circumstances or would not treat the information with the level of confidentiality you wish for then don't tell anyone - it doesn't affect how you care for the children.

Anyhow bet you find lots of error here!!!

You take care of yourself and post whenever you wish I'm sure you have loads of vlauable wisdom to share!!!:clapping: :clapping:

Twinkles
10-01-2010, 08:30 PM
ooo I'm always making spelling mistakes :D Sometimes I completely forget how to spell a word so I cut and paste it onto a word doc and do a spell check.

As Pauline says sometimes I just flurry through a post - trying to say as much as possible and leave spelling and grammar mistakes in my wake :laughing:

My DH is dyslexic - now him I laugh at :laughing:

edit; and sometimes it isn't 'till I re read my posts I notice :D

Trouble
10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
it made me cross at what you had written, not by what you said but because someone without any feelings pointed it out to you how :censored:
insensitive. It makes me soooooooooo cross:angry:

my dd is dyslexic so i know partly how you feel as she has the same frustrations you have

WE ALL make spelling mistakes especially me so you make as many as you like and well figure it out:D

i dont know if you are aware there is a programme you can get for your comp
it puts words big ones or should i say an option of words for you to choose at the bottom of your screen and you click on it , and it does it for you, i cant remember the name thou

my dd teacher who runs our dyslexia group will know i will ask her on thursday and will let you know

xxxxxxx

sarah707
10-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I make lots of mistakes and I have a spell check running! :o :laughing:

If you are really worried about it - and to be honest I wouldn't be it really doesn't matter.

But if you are, you could consider using Firefox... there is then an add on you can load into firefox

the English / British dictionary here -

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

It helps me... when I stop to think long enough to read back and see what I've put :rolleyes: :D

PixiePetal
10-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Keep posting thinkfun, I don't give a jot about peoples spelling. As Heaven Scent said, it's just like talking to friends on here.

I am not dyslexic (now that's a word I can never spell without thinking hard!) and do have a bit of a thing about spelling words correctly, even to the point of doing what Twinkles said and writing it on Word and spell checking it :blush:

I know I still make mistakes, sometimes I edit to change them :) but hard luck if I don't - I don't always speak properly either :laughing:

The forum is a great, friendly place and full of information and ideas, well done on taking the step to begin posting :thumbsup:

Twinkles
10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Keep posting thinkfun, I don't give a jot about peoples spelling. As Heaven Scent said, it's just like talking to friends on here.

I am not dyslexic (now that's a word I can never spell without thinking hard!) and do have a bit of a thing about spelling words correctly, even to the point of doing what Twinkles said and writing it on Word and spell checking it :blush:

I know I still make mistakes, sometimes I edit to change them :) but hard luck if I don't - I don't always speak properly either :laughing: The forum is a great, friendly place and full of information and ideas, well done on taking the step to begin posting :thumbsup:

I don't always speak proper niver :D

DCMS
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I read the post where you were corrected and can honestly say it was only so you weren't using the wrong word in a letter to a nursery. Nothing more!

Regarding software, I worked with a doctor who insisted on talking to his computer while it typed what he said. It really didn't work it had to be read and corrected as it just didn't understand his Liverpudlian accent and it was quite expensive. I'm sure there will be someone who can offer more help but do keep posting. We all have spelling mistakes x

PixiePetal
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't always speak proper niver :D

:laughing:

I can talk posh if needed - but usually not :laughing:

I have nannied for a couple very well spoken families and my kids say I have a telephone voice, well I had to sound clear when their posh friends phoned!

That voice is nowhere to be found when my kids are playing up, I am a right fishwife :D

Trouble
10-01-2010, 09:05 PM
they have there own language here so i would even dream of writing it down no one would understand it or reply

Pauline
10-01-2010, 10:16 PM
it made me cross at what you had written, not by what you said but because someone without any feelings pointed it out to you how :censored:
insensitive. It makes me soooooooooo cross:angry:

Calm down Troubs.:)

The last thing the person who pointed out the error is insensitive and they have loads of true feelings, they were just trying to help and would be devastated to read this :(

Don't be cross ;)

Trouble
10-01-2010, 10:32 PM
im chilled :littleangel:

but my dd is dyslexic so i do get cross about this subject:( have spent years battling the school system so it only takes one comment to set me off:laughing:

i have seen the other thread and i truely do believe she meant no harm by it other than to help so isnt a bad person at all she is nice:D

i will behave now pauline:blush:

Pauline
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
im chilled :littleangel:

i will behave now pauline:blush:

and you saw it here first folks :laughing::laughing:

Trouble
10-01-2010, 10:40 PM
and you saw it here first folks :laughing::laughing:

i didnt say how long i was going to be good for:laughing:

i am a very chilled and placid person normally nothing bothers me:panic:

Tups
10-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I am DYSLEXIC very severe its something you have to live with and work round it. I never right letters i can't do it, but at my age i don't care anymore i did have problems years ago people taking the Micky out of me people that don't understand they just think your thick my d d is in uni she's DYSLEXIC she's doing a 3 year degree she really struggles to do her work but she's very committed she has a dictaphone a program that talks to her it reads her work back to her but its still hard for her,but she's getting there, if your not DYSLEXIC then its hard to understand but the forum has helpt me alot and everybody is so helpfull. I fully understand the eyfes dont think i spelt that right but who cares ? its the writing that lets you down, you just carnt wright what your thinking its so hard so i no what your going through :thumbsup: tups x

Blaze
10-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Just wanted to say asgain that the person who posted correcting you was only doing so to help - not to be insensitive...stick around & you'll find out how lovely she really is:thumbsup:

....Please continue to post (without anxiety) - as long as we can get the gist - don't worry about spelling/grammar/wrong words used - we really don't care.... & will only correct if it's to do with paperwork / work in general (as was the other post earlier)....EXCEPT TEXT SPEAK - I can't cope with it!:blush:

:)

Spangles
11-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Oh my God I feel awful.

I didn't even think you were dyslexic just didn't want you to use the wrong word as the meanings were quite different. I sometimes say a word slightly different to the one I meant which changes the sentence or doesn't make sense and I didn't want you to do it in something so important.

I would never want to offend anyone or upset them and didn't mean anything by it other than to help you out.

I feel really bad now but I couldn't have let you put 'intrude' in your letter.

I feel really bad, I did explain it on your thread though. I would have wanted someone to tell me so I guess I just thought you'd want to know.

Sorry hope you will still come on the Forum.

Ripeberry
11-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm bi-lingual (French) so this means that I write my English the French way, e.g the sentences can be reversed. Don't realise I'm doing it half the time :(

flora
11-01-2010, 08:15 AM
My ds is dsylexic and like trouble I am having to fight his corner constantly to get him the help he needs.

I am not dsylexic but could win awards for all the spelling and gramatical errors I put into my posts.

Stick around and get to know us all, it's worth it I promise.

I know Spangles well and as she has put in her post she had NO intention of offending you at all, so try no to take it to heart.

Lots of folk pop letters on here and ask for help so that spelling errors etc can be picked up before sending. :thumbsup:

Jaja is on here and she is dsylexic I am sure she will post and tell you how she copes :thumbsup:

wendywu
11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Do you know that i often write a post and think it is fine. It it not until i press SUBMIT that i realise that i have letters round the wrong way or the wrong letters in a word.

I think to myself, how did i miss that and have to edit. :blush:

So we all do it :thumbsup:

Pauline
11-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Do you know that i often write a post and think it is fine. It it not until i press SUBMIT that i realise that i have letters round the wrong way or the wrong letters in a word.

I think to myself, how did i miss that and have to edit. :blush:

So we all do it :thumbsup:

I often look back and find I've put hear instead of here, or their instead of there. I think the brain works faster than the fingers and gets confused (that's my excuse anyway! :rolleyes:)

Twinkles
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Did you know........Mark Twain was dyslexic and he said

' I care nothing for a man who can spell a word only one way ! '

:D

angeldelight
11-01-2010, 08:43 AM

If you had been looking at the forum for a year then you must have noticed in other threads that we all joke around about our spelling etc and how we like to help each other if we see a mistake ?

I am sure also then that you have seen " spangles " around so you know she is a really nice person

If you could see the letters I write and all my obs etc and how perfect they are ie spellings and grammer you would not think it was the same person that came on here
I dont care about spellings and grammer here because we are chilled out and no one takes a bit of notice about things like that

Anyway you have had loads of lovely comments and lots of support so how do you feel about it all now ?

Do you feel better ?

Pleaseeeeeeeee do not say it is going to take you another year to post here ? :laughing: :laughing:

Come on join us mad lot and you will see that everyone is lovely and really supportive and you are def NO FOOL !!!!

Speak soon hopefully

Angel xxx

Trouble
11-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Sorry again for being so cross:blush: :blush: :blush:

i learnt a lesson yesterday about someone else and i can assure you i WILL THINK AND LOOK AT ALL INFORMATION before i type when cross:thumbsup:

big hugs xxxx:D

sue m
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
A lot of us tend to reply quickly if we feel a bit cross Di, I do too. :rolleyes: Don't worry about it or Spangles, have a lovely day both of you. :clapping:

estrelas
11-01-2010, 10:19 AM
My spelling is awful, but more due to me rushing I think:blush: , I always spell everything wrong

thinkfun
11-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you for your response, I felt very emotional yesterday evening and a number of tears were shed. I know I was just overreacting to someone who was trying to be helpful, but when you’re spent most of your life trying to hide the fact that you’re dyslexic and when no matter how hard you try, it’s never good enough, you become very sensitive to any form of criticism. The post was not intended to make anyone feel bad but more out of curiosity.

I think we need to keep in mind all of our equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory training, it not just for the child but society as a whole. One of my first memories of school is of my reception teacher saying to me `why can’t you remember the words on the card’, I was 5 and did not know the answer. When I was 7 I remember sitting at my table and looking around at all the other children, thinking why can’t I do what they can. By time I was 13 and due to start my GCSE’s and after 3 years of getting A grades in most of my subjects was told I can’t take some of them, that when I gave up on education. I was left scarred for life by an educational system that failed to support my needs. I don’t have any regrets and have gone on to complete my level 3 in childcare and I’m currently completing NCMA’s children come first network paperwork, I know that I’m more than capable of achieving whatever I set my heart on, it just takes me longer to get there.

My son who’s 18 was indentified a few months ago as being dyslexic, his reading and spelling are fine and produces A grade coursework but when it come to exams for some reason it just doesn’t happen. After the second set of poor exam results we decided to get him assessed. It turns out that he’s also dyslexic and another child the educational system failed.

They reckon that as many as one in three people are dyslexic, so I know I’m not the only person or childminder out there who is dyslexic and finds everyday life and work hard (the kids are the easy part, paperwork can be a little bit of a challenge).

I only began to tell people that I’m dyslexic two years ago, when one of the mum’s I work for, told me that a teacher at school, thought her child maybe dyslexic. We have a very open policy here, and discuss everything (except where babies come from, believe that’s a job for the parents) and I didn’t want the child to go through life as I did, trying to hide their weakness from everybody. I now believe that the more people talk about it, the more society as a whole will a accept us for who we are, intelligent and creative individuals who just have difficulty with letters and number, something that the schools I attended never did.

For further information on being dyslexic visit this site www.beingdyslexic.co.uk it also has a forum, where you can really understand how being dyslexic impacts on someone life.

sue m
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Thank you for explaining,that was interesting. I have to say, I don't know anything about dyslexia at all.

Glad you know that no-one here would upset anyone knowingly. It's all done with now anyway. x

jaja
11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I am :clapping: :clapping: lol lol.... i dont tell parents as i am good at covering it up, have been doing it for so long anyway, my mum pre reads my policies and procedures and i can type really quickly, i read very quickly too but only retain half of waht i have read, however i have tried reading slower and it doesnt make it easyer to retain. I struggle with directions so when i am explaining to parents where i live i struggle with street names, numbers i am fine with, prenouncing (sp?) words is hard as i "write how i talk" my mum always says this so when i read it back to me it sounds fine but when my mum reads it too me i can spot what i have said and what i should of said... if you see what i mean.... I tend to repeat what i have said in the next paragraph without realising what i have done....

There is a software package out there that can help, google " software for dislexics" and it sound help, i have brought it yet but am saving up....

PM me if you want too, and dont be afraid of posting on here, the member that mentioned it shouldnt have as everyone spells differently, it would be boring if everyone was the same wouldnt it....lo....lol..lol...lol....

sending hugs xxxxxxxxxx

sue m
11-01-2010, 11:28 AM
The member who mentioned it was only trying to help, not to make anyone feel bad. :thumbsup: Think we need to forget it all now.

estrelas
11-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Thank you for your response, I felt very emotional yesterday evening and a number of tears were shed. I know I was just overreacting to someone who was trying to be helpful, but when you’re spent most of your life trying to hide the fact that you’re dyslexic and when no matter how hard you try, it’s never good enough, you become very sensitive to any form of criticism. The post was not intended to make anyone feel bad but more out of curiosity.

I think we need to keep in mind all of our equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory training, it not just for the child but society as a whole. One of my first memories of school is of my reception teacher saying to me `why can’t you remember the words on the card’, I was 5 and did not know the answer. When I was 7 I remember sitting at my table and looking around at all the other children, thinking why can’t I do what they can. By time I was 13 and due to start my GCSE’s and after 3 years of getting A grades in most of my subjects was told I can’t take some of them, that when I gave up on education. I was left scarred for life by an educational system that failed to support my needs. I don’t have any regrets and have gone on to complete my level 3 in childcare and I’m currently completing NCMA’s children come first network paperwork, I know that I’m more than capable of achieving whatever I set my heart on, it just takes me longer to get there.

My son who’s 18 was indentified a few months ago as being dyslexic, his reading and spelling are fine and produces A grade coursework but when it come to exams for some reason it just doesn’t happen. After the second set of poor exam results we decided to get him assessed. It turns out that he’s also dyslexic and another child the educational system failed.

They reckon that as many as one in three people are dyslexic, so I know I’m not the only person or childminder out there who is dyslexic and finds everyday life and work hard (the kids are the easy part, paperwork can be a little bit of a challenge).

I only began to tell people that I’m dyslexic two years ago, when one of the mum’s I work for, told me that a teacher at school, thought her child maybe dyslexic. We have a very open policy here, and discuss everything (except where babies come from, believe that’s a job for the parents) and I didn’t want the child to go through life as I did, trying to hide their weakness from everybody. I now believe that the more people talk about it, the more society as a whole will a accept us for who we are, intelligent and creative individuals who just have difficulty with letters and number, something that the schools I attended never did.

For further information on being dyslexic visit this site www.beingdyslexic.co.uk it also has a forum, where you can really understand how being dyslexic impacts on someone life.

That was interesting to read

angeldelight
11-01-2010, 05:44 PM
The member who mentioned it was only trying to help, not to make anyone feel bad. :thumbsup: Think we need to forget it all now.

I agree Sue

Angel xx

jennifer brown
10-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I am dyslexic so I am glad Im not the only one . I wonder did you do your I Icp exam and did you get help ,because I did nt pass my exam Ive done another one still no help with that one as well .I pass the other courses with help . I was a childminder before and I told the mums I had dyslexic ,it didnt make that much differents the mum seam to be happy about it along the childern are alright .

I hopy you get this Im learnig as I go along Im new at this
jennifer brown

WibbleWobble
10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
i have dyscalcula...thats the numbers and maths problem.

I passed o level maths ...just...but used my finger and dots on paper.
I cant see patterns in numbers and dont know my times tables.
My IQ is way up there and my literary skills are brill. (i know typing on here doesnt show it) I did o level english language at 12 and passed...but my maths is awful.

I am embarrassed because of it...i cant reckon up in my head..i just dont see the numbers.

My OH can reckon up in his head like a shot...and i am still looking at my fingers.

My sister has both dyslexia and dyscalula and like me has had a very good career in nursing. We get others to check our calculations (as in the rules) and we both have a small calculator in our pockets/bag.
She is doing a degree and has been given a laptop and some extra help.
Its worth getting checked...it costs...but you can get help if its diagnosed. Sarah got her money back because it was a positive reaction ie she has dyslexia.

mamasheshe
10-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm dyslexic and really struggle my mum proof reads everything for me ! i often change things to something i can spell! i have spell check on the whole time ! i HATE having to write things out like daily diary's because i think it looks so unprofessional my handwriting like a five year olds on the inside page i have a note " please excuse my spelling grammar and handwriting" my reading's fine but i really wish my handwriting wasn't so bad:blush: :blush:

thinkfun
10-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I did my ICP before they introduced the exam, It was just course work, which I find easier. Dose the collage know you are dyslexic? I know with GCSE’s and A levels exams you can have special arrangements made such as having someone to read the exam paper to you or extra time., but you have to let them know quite some time in advance because they have to notify the examining body and get their permission first. Sometime you need a have an assessment done first before any special arrangements can be made.

OrlandoBelle
10-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi hun, I am not dyslexic, but my husband is. We joke as he is quite good with maths whereas I am absolutely USELESS and vice versa for english, spelling, grammer etc. I always proof read letters and emails he writes for him and he helps with my accounts sometimes.

He works as my assistant but I do all the paperwork side of things. He does get frustrated sometimes and gets embarrassed if he has to write anything as his handwriting is quite bad.

I have recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and there is something on here about voice activation. There is a microphone in the laptop too. I'm not sure what you can do with it though as i'm still learning how to do all the other features on here! I think it's probably if you're searching for a file you can speak into the mic or something... not sure if it will do a whole document. No harm in looking into it though hun. xxx

Cammie Doodle
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
My son is Dyslexic and it has never held him back, he has been and is head Chef in some top Hotels, he just gets his menus proof read before they are printed out. He is brill with figures, he says numbers make sense :D
PS he wants to know why it is such a hard word to spell :idea:

LOOPYLISA
10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi hun, I am not dyslexic, but my husband is. We joke as he is quite good with maths whereas I am absolutely USELESS and vice versa for english, spelling, grammer etc. I always proof read letters and emails he writes for him and he helps with my accounts sometimes.

He works as my assistant but I do all the paperwork side of things. He does get frustrated sometimes and gets embarrassed if he has to write anything as his handwriting is quite bad.

I have recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and there is something on here about voice activation. There is a microphone in the laptop too. I'm not sure what you can do with it though as i'm still learning how to do all the other features on here! I think it's probably if you're searching for a file you can speak into the mic or something... not sure if it will do a whole document. No harm in looking into it though hun. xxx

My hubby is too, i proof read everything for him too, he gets so embarrased, he shouldnt but does :(

Winnie
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I have dyscalculia or whatever is called- i'm dyslexic and never learnt my times tables, i recognise words by patterns (may not know the correct spelling but know if the shape of the word is wrong) i count in an odd way- lots of counting imaginary dots ;). I use my word spell and thesaurus thingy to ensure i have the right word :laughing: I also have this unfortunant (i know thats spelt wrong) thing of losing words in public if i'm put under pressure- i stumble verbally. But, i'm past caring :p i'm too old to let it worry me, my spelling has improved in the past 5 or 6 years because i use a computer every day, maths can still be an issue but hay ho :laughing:
So you must take me as you find me, i try very hard not to post before spell checking (doesnt help the grammar but you can not have everything ;) ) because i know it upsets some people.....but then they do not have to live with this invisable disability, if they did they would be more understanding :)

cuffleygirl
10-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm not dyslexic but I leave words out when my brain goes faster than my hands - writing is worst! DH and DD1 and DD2 are dyslexic though - dyslexics are supposed to be creative and very clever! I am always amazed that my DD's both had to learn how to learn before they could iyswim!

Tinglesnark
10-03-2010, 05:57 PM
aw what a shame - actually i have a severe problem with numbers in that the moment i look at anything with numbers on it i freeze and the page blurs, i start to yawn (in the manner of a stressed out dog...:rolleyes: ) i cannot take in any information and i panic. i assume that is how someone with dislexia feels? is dislexia just for literacy or can it be applied to numeracy aswell? either way i know how awful you must feel as i burst in to hysterical tears the moment anyone says 'why cant you understand that?' i freak out if i am asked any mathematical question at all and couldnt complete my learn direct course as i couldnt understand it. i also didnt get any help after a while - i think they just gave up because they couldnt teach me anything. nothing stays in - im like a leaking boat as far as maths is concerned lol

oh i can spell and i am good at english BUT i type so fast that i rarely spell anything correctly and i often use text speak cos its wot da kids do innit? 'n i like 2 b down wiv da kids...innit? haha actually its simply force of habit as i was a teenager when mobile phones first started to be acceptable for teenagers and not just business types :D

anyway - dont keep away and dont feel alone...we all have failings and we all have an Achilles heel x

ginevra19
10-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi

I to am dsylexic and find all things written hard. My paperwork up untill december as been non exsistant and i'm still finding it all very difficult :panic:
Saying that though I've told my parents that I've got a problem with my writing and whether it actually makes sence due to being dsylexic. All the parents i've told have been perfectly fine with me doing everything by computer as I now openly aviod writing with out it (:( I know not good for showing mindees the good side to writing but what can i say)
Its taken support from a course tutor, my network leader, another group plus the local childrens centre.:laughing: but more support as come from this site and the people who use it

There is the onenote programe but u need some sort off microphone and soft wear for that and i don't know where to get one. The other good part to that is if you got a small group of minders who could work at the same time by using onenote which useing the internet somehow allows up to 7 people to work on the same doc at the same time.
Hope the non warble bit at the bottom helps :)

Ripeberry
10-03-2010, 06:00 PM

My IQ is way up there and my literary skills are brill. (i know typing on here doesnt show it) I did o level english language at 12 and passed...but my maths is awful.

I am embarrassed because of it...i cant reckon up in my head..i just dont see the numbers.

My OH can reckon up in his head like a shot...and i am still looking at my fingers.

My sister has both dyslexia and dyscalula and like me has had a very good career in nursing. We get others to check our calculations (as in the rules) and we both have a small calculator in our pockets/bag.
Its worth getting checked...it costs...but you can get help if its diagnosed. Sarah got her money back because it was a positive reaction ie she has dyslexia.

Sounds just like me! I don' know my times tables and if I don't have a calculator my brain 'freezes'. In maths class when I was 13yrs old I actually fainted because the (insensitive) teacher was picking kids at random from the class to go up to the blackboard and do some sums in front of everyone.
I got myself so worked up that I blacked out and ended up in the school sick room.
But saying that, I passed O-level Physics, did English Lit at 14yrs old and finally left school with 5 O-levels (grades A,B,B,C,C) and two A-levels in French and Biology.
I worked with figures for over 15years in Car insurance, as the computer did some of it and we were allowed calculators :thumbsup:
I even tried to do Book keeping (Sage), but my old fears came back :(
My problem is, my head knows the answers but I can't say it.

WibbleWobble
10-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Sounds just like me! I don' know my times tables and if I don't have a calculator my brain 'freezes'. In maths class when I was 13yrs old I actually fainted because the (insensitive) teacher was picking kids at random from the class to go up to the blackboard and do some sums in front of everyone.
I got myself so worked up that I blacked out and ended up in the school sick room.
But saying that, I passed O-level Physics, did English Lit at 14yrs old and finally left school with 5 O-levels (grades A,B,B,C,C) and two A-levels in French and Biology.
I worked with figures for over 15years in Car insurance, as the computer did some of it and we were allowed calculators :thumbsup:
I even tried to do Book keeping (Sage), but my old fears came back :(
My problem is, my head knows the answers but I can't say it.

your story could be deffo me...i excelled in sciences too and found great fun in balancing chemical equations...but ask me to do a simple sum:panic:
The other evening my dad (an ex teacher) rang me to ask what a half divided by a quarter was (he was testing me...he doesnt know about my discalcula-no such thing in 1970s..dad thinks its great fun to ring us up and give us a quiz)
i just went to jelly....my heart sank and i felt sick. I mumbled something about "for goodness sake dad i am 42 not 12!".
flippin heck...why did i get into a tizz?

love mandy

ps the answer is 2...2 quarters will go into a half!
i thought i had to find a quarter of a half....hence the panic!

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: dad!

ginevra19
10-03-2010, 06:09 PM

lol sorry didn't look and notice the 3 pages of comments my cous as been told its very likely she's dsylexic but that in sandwell she cannot be tested for the problem as it would not be recognised in that area the school they attend though as done everything they can to support them though :clapping:

maryp0ppins
10-03-2010, 06:27 PM

HIYA thinkfun :waving:

My dH is dyslexic my dD2 is dyslexic & my step-son is also dyslexic so i defo understand your frustration when it comes to writing letters etc etc.

Now I'd class myself as more lazy cuz i tend to slang my words whilst writing on the pc, so when it comes to formal letters i kind of have to go back & remember how to spell them.

As far as the OBS, Journals & things go why don't you try COLOUR coding all your work with stickers....eg:
red - Knowledge of the world..
Blue - physical..
Green - creative development
& so on, along with your eyfs book with useful words you can just jot down off of it next to the coloured stickers?

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
10-03-2010, 06:31 PM
HIYA thinkfun :waving:

My dH is dyslexic my dD2 is dyslexic & my step-son is also dyslexic so i defo understand your frustration when it comes to writing letters etc etc.

Now I'd class myself as more lazy cuz i tend to slang my words whilst writing on the pc, so when it comes to formal letters i kind of have to go back & remember how to spell them.

As far as the OBS, Journals & things go why don't you try COLOUR coding all your work with stickers....eg:
red - Knowledge of the world..
Blue - physical..
Green - creative development
& so on, along with your eyfs book with useful words you can just jot down off of it next to the coloured stickers?

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

ps im RUBBISH with maths......Hubbys high point so we help eachother (as best we can)

LOOPYLISA
10-03-2010, 06:34 PM
ps im RUBBISH with maths......Hubbys high point so we help eachother (as best we can)

Snap I'm rubbish at maths but can read, spell, hubs is great at maths but cannot read write properly :thumbsup: it works well with dd's hw :thumbsup:

Mollymop
10-03-2010, 07:34 PM
lol, same here!! I really am utter pants at maths - and he is utter pants at spelling - he isn't dyslexic though he's just pants!:D

MarpleJollytots
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM

Its worth getting checked...it costs...but you can get help if its diagnosed. Sarah got her money back because it was a positive reaction ie she has dyslexia.Me too !!!!!!!!!! Thats why i never did Teacher training :( I always wanted to teach but thought it would make it impossible.