PDA

View Full Version : Landlord changed his mind

julie123
09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi I was looking around the web for some advice and came accross this site. I am almost through the process of registering. I have doe the ICP/first aid and had the pre- reg visit. I contacted my landlord and told him about me childminding and he said he was fine with it and would put it in writing. He kept messing me around with this and I finally spoke to him today. He said he now doesn't want me to childmind and if I do he will evict me. He orignally said yes in November so I have spent alot of time and money on this. He said as he didn't put it in writing there is no proof he said yes (although he is not denying he did say it.) He said he will not change his mind on this. I really don't know what to do as it seems my dream has ending before it has even started. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? Can he really evict me for this?
Thanks

sarah707
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
It is his property and if he says no, then yes, he can evict you if you go against his wishes.

I wonder if it's because he thinks there will be hordes of children rampaging through his house every day, breaking things and damaging his fixtures and fittings...

Is it worth writing to him and saying what you want to do? How the children will be supervised and it's not a mini nursery you're intending on running? How you have to have certain security measures in place and it's about children's learning and development, not them running around causing havoc and upsetting the neighbours... etc.

Worth a try! Good luck :D

miffy
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Sorry julie I don't think I can be much help but if your tenancy agreement says you cannot run a business from the premises then I would say yes he could evict you if you started childminding because you would be breaching the agreement.

Suggest you check your tenancy ahreement carefully and then talk to citizens advice

miffy xx

Heaven Scent
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh what a shame I hope it all works out for you.

Celine

mamapink
09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
hello

i think what you should try what sarah said
write down the amount of children will be there and roughly how many hours you are likely to be minding for
the fact that you can only be reg,to mind in certain rooms and for a set amount of children and point out that you have to keep the property to a ofstesd approved standard so his decor etc would not be allowed to detereate
any stair gates which might be fitted could be pressure mounted only etc
if he initally said yes he must have thought of something that has made him change his mind
unless his mortage or insurences claues are the problem
maybe offer to add to your tenentency agreement that you will ensure any damage will be covered by yourself and i would talk to him and find out what exactly his preconceptions are he might be picturing 10 mad 2-5 years old wreaking the joint

good luck with it all i hope you can change his mind

bye pink

emler
09-03-2008, 07:00 PM
What a shame - I hope you can change his mind!

Emler x

Spangles
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe you should try and talk to him about it again and give him a full picture of how it will be when you are minding?

I think before I got involved in it myself I would probably have been concerned about our tenant doing childminding in our house too!

I just think that if he had the full picture he may not mind. If you talk him through it, say you understand he might have reservations but ask him exactly what his worries and objections are and show him that they're really not a problem and convince him everything will be under control.

Good luck! You can do it I'm sure with a bit of charm and creeping! Ha ha!

julie123
10-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your advise I have wrote a letter and will send it to him tomorrow. Lets hope he sees sense as I already have a possible mindee.

I will keep you updated

Thank you

miffy
10-03-2008, 07:33 AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed it works for you

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh that is annoying

Problem is a lot of landlords always think of a nursery when you mention a childminding business - they dont get the picture of about 20 plus kids running riot

I think you should take the advise of the others explain that they wont be damaging his property etc and that its only a small amount of children that you will mind
Maybe if he understands it more and its written down he will come round

It is def worth a last try

Let us know what happens

Good luck

Angel xx

LittleMissSparkles
10-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Oh dear... what are you planning to do ? could you move if he wont budge on his descision ? x

Mollymop
10-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Oh poor you, it seems unfair after all you have done to get this far. Have you lived there for long, as I was just wondering, if you get no joy with everything you try could you see about moving to a different house, etc

Splish Splosh
10-03-2008, 09:07 AM
oh no poor you i do hope you can get this sorted.

deeb66
10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I am sorry to hear this.

As others have said perhaps he has got hold of the wrong end of the stick and imagines hoards of kids wrecking the place!

Try writing to him and explaining that it will only be a few children and that should any damage be done by the children you will of course repair.

Good luck

julie123
11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi,

I spoke to him today and he still says no I wrote down all the details and he said that he can't agree to it due to legal implications. I asked him what he meant and what his concerns actually were and he said he doesn't have to explain as no means no. He than said that clearly me and him don't get on so he is serving an evicton order on me as he wants a tenant he can get on with. I was not rude to him and I don't understand why he wants to do this. Is there anything I can do legally or do I have to go.

Mollymop
11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Gosh Julie, he sounds like a right pig. I am sure there is something you can do about it, someone else maybe able to help X Big hugs!

Mollymop
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Julie, go to this link and it may tell you. It's about illegal evictions

http://www.caradon.gov.uk/media/adobe/My%20Landlord%20wants%20me%20out.pdf
(hope the link worked as it didn't a min ago.)

deeb66
11-03-2008, 08:11 PM
It might be a good idea to contact your local Citizens Advice Bereau (CAB) and get some advice from them.

Your landlord cannot evict you just because he feels like it.

Twinkles
11-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear about this Julie. It isn't that easy to get a tennant evicted. Contact your local housing officer , they can give you some advice. If he really isn't going to budge about the childminding won't you look for somewhere else anyway ?

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Good luck. Hope you manage to sort it. :)

julie123
11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Julie, go to this link and it may tell you. It's about illegal evictions

http://www.caradon.gov.uk/media/adobe/My%20Landlord%20wants%20me%20out.pdf
(hope the link worked as it didn't a min ago.)

Thanks for that it is very helpful sandra.

I will contact the CAB tomorrow.
I know I need to move out now anyway but I want to be able to do it at my pace not thrown out on the streets. I need to find somewhere that takes pets and doesn't mind me childminding. If he wants to evict me he will have a fight on his hands

thanks everyone for your advice and support

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Good luck Julie

Keep us posted

Angel xx

Heaven Scent
12-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh Gosh I feel for you really I do what a terrible positon to be in, its probably in the terms of his mortgage that he cannot rent the house out and is afraid of being found out or he could be sub letting you don't know what he could up to. You're as well off out of there. CAB are usually really good.

You've had some really good advice from everyone - just wanated to send my best wishes.

Celine

Mollymop
12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Yes, good luck Julie! I don't think he can throw you out on the streets, he needs to give you proper notice. Is there any chance you could get a council house (or what ever they are called now days?) they are likely to let oyu have pets and childmind.
Fingers crossed for you, keep us updated as we'll all be thinking of you X

tinkerbell_85
15-03-2008, 09:39 PM
good luck to you, hope it all sorts out!

Tinkerbell x

miffy
16-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Just catching up with this Julie

How are things?

Did you have any luck with the CAB?

Hope you are OK

Miffy xx

julie123
05-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi sorry it has been a while things have been a bit hetic. Things are sorted. I decided in was in my best interest to move house as even if I stopped the evection I still couldn't mind. I found a lovely place and the new landlord has put it in writing that I can mind. I am moving on the 16th so not long now. I do have another problem but I will put that under another post
Thanks

Blaze
05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Seems it's all worked out for the best!
Tasha:)

Mollymop
05-04-2008, 10:36 PM
That is brilliant news!
I hope it all goes well, let us know X

Twinkles
05-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Glad that has worked out for you.:thumbsup:

Shirlwith3
06-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi Julie
Glad things hacve worked out for you.
I am now having to look for somewhere to rent as we have to move out of our army quarter been living here long than we should be as hubby got out the army Feb 07 but been able to stay due to my oldest needing a major surgery on his jaw, but now have to move out by June. Like you I have pets too & childmind.
I have found a place to rent so am going to call the letting agency tomorrow to find out if pets & childminding allowed before I ask to view it.

Shirl

Monkey1
06-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Thats fantastic news! well done, sounds like it will be better all round!

emler
06-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Really pleased to hear it has worked out for you :clapping:

Emler x

cuddlybunny38
06-04-2008, 08:33 AM
good luck with the move, hope all goes well. Sharon

Lottie
06-04-2008, 02:21 PM
That's great news! Congrats. :clapping:

Heaven Scent
06-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Thats brilliant Julie all the very best with the minding I hope you are very happy