PDA

View Full Version : vaccine - what would you do?

tashaleee
10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Ive just had a parent contact me as they have been sent a letter for their child to have the swine flu vaccine as a precaution. As my own children are older this is the first ive heard about the routine letters reaching any children in my area without pre-diagnosed medical issues.

I am thinking about the other children with me who wont have had any vaccine, plus of course my own family.

Is there any chance of my mindee catching full blown swine flu (or anything else) from the jab? Would you put an exclusion in place (I do with MMR - have 48 hour exclusion) or let them come the next day as normal?

keatingschick
13-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Do u have an exclusion for MMR? Am interested in that because thats not something I have heard before.

Just to say both my children have had the swine flu jab, and also the brother of the little girl I mind and his pregnant mum.
My daughter was reccomended to have it because she is diabetic - I did umm and ahh because it is new and I was worried sick of any side effects but when she is ill her diabetes is a nightmare to control and worries me sick so I bit the bullet. My son was offered is because he has asthma.
My children DID have a few side effects (VERY sore arm, achey feeling), my daughter was worse and felt lousy for days and ended up off school for a couple of days, but they didnt come down with anything that I would have picked up as swine flu.

sandy64
13-01-2010, 06:47 PM
hi my lo has had swineflu jab there is no evidence that anyone will catch it from someone whos had jab the child who has jab may get side effects (mine didnt) i did tho very bad. the side affects also hasnt got any evidence that its infectious to others i worked through my horrible symptoms and no one caught anythink. i would let child come as normal if they are fit and well.hope this helps.

Ritaroo
19-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I would have thought it would be fine as it isn't a "live" vaccine. Therefore they don't inject swine flu as such but something called antigens which provoke your body to produce antibodies to the virus. The only side effects that I have read about are a sore arm for a few days. HTH.

mamasheshe
19-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I would have thought it would be fine as it isn't a "live" vaccine. Therefore they don't inject swine flu as such but something called antigens which provoke your body to produce antibodies to the virus. The only side effects that I have read about are a sore arm for a few days. HTH.

thats what i thought

caz3007
19-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I was surprised as my 17 year old son got an invite to have the jab, we were just talking about it when I saw the thread. The only reason I can think of as to why he was invited was he had Asthma in the past, but is ok now.

Not sure whether to send him to get done or not, he isnt bothered either way

Carpet Monkeys
19-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm waiting till there is firm evidence and proper trials done before I let my kids have it. I am currently working for a pharmaceutical company on the customer complaints and getting complaints about the side effects of other vaccines etc ..... has opened my eyes somewhat!