PDA

View Full Version : How many files should I have...

Nix
09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Hello there

I am after some help again. I am trying to organise my files and make sure I have all I need. I appear to have a cupboard full!

Please could you let me know if what I have is correct, what is missing and what I do not need? Perhaps with hints or suggestions on what should be included in each!! If there is already a thread on this...apologies...could you point me in the right direction so I may find it.

Thanks in advance.

I currently have:
a file for parents with info on childminders, NCMA guidance etc
A file which I show parents containing certificates, policies etc
A file on each child containing their contracts
A file on each child to be their 'learning journey' with observations, photographs etc
Risk Assessment file...thanks Sarah - still working on this one
Daily Diary...thanks again Sarah. Containing info on which children are attending, menu, routine, visitors page to sign
Compliments and Complaints file containing parents and child evaluations
NCMA Attendance Register
NCMA Accounts book

I am in the process of making photo albums of my equipment (as my playroom is not big enough for it all), the children having fun etc

I also have info on
Nutrition
National Standards
Birth to Three
EYFS
Curriculum GUidance

phew, I think that's all that's in there!!

Thank you
Nix, x

Nix
09-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh yes and I have a planning file...thanks again to Sarah!

Not forgetting my files of craft resources/ideas.

miffy
09-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Ooooo you do have a lot of files

Did you mention photographs?

Miffy xx

sarah707
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a personal development file in which I keep my witterings about how I think I meet and intend to exceed the national standards, things like when I re-do my garden I will do a plan and put it in there... if I see something I want, I put a wish list in there... etc

I have a few files for children's activities - an outside play / movement and music file, one for ideas for messy play pulled out from magazines, downloaded and printed from internet etc...

I have a few box files of stuff I've got through the post from companies over the years - you know, freebies on healthy eating (Children who live on Planet Food), posters for sun protection, hand washing activity ideas from Carex etc

A few years ago now I put together a file of common childhood infections and illnesses. It is made up of bits and pieces from magazines, the internet, leaflets from health visitors etc and is for parents to browse should they wish. The fact that they don't and never have wished wasn't mentioned when the inspector raved over it :laughing:

Hope this helps! :D

miffy
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Some good ideas there Sarah

Miffy xx

Nix
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks Miffy, working on the photographs at the moment.

Great ideas again Sarah. I shall see if I can squeeze a bit more in the cupboard!! Thanks

Nix, x

mjw
09-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I have a festivals file where I put any resources about festivals and file it under months of the year so over the years you can build up plenty of ideas to refer back to
Mary

Nix
09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Great thanks Mary, another good idea.

Nix, x

miffy
10-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I have a festivals file where I put any resources about festivals and file it under months of the year so over the years you can build up plenty of ideas to refer back to
Mary

Forgot i'd got one of those too :) also have a themes file with things like weather, seasons, shapes, numbers etc in

You do build up a lot of stuff

Miffy xx

angeldelight
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
I might have to sleep in the shed soon - the paperwork is taking over the house ha

Angel xx

Hopscotch
11-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I have one of those expanding files that i use to file all my resources, it's getting full though i may have to buy a filing cabinet or something, it's amazing how much you accumulate my house is over flowing my hubby calls me mr trebis like the old man that hoarded everything in life of grime lol.
Bev X
No matter how much stuff you have got you can still always find more to add to it.

sarah707
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
my hubby calls me mr trebis like the old man that hoarded everything in life of grime lol.

Oh no! I remember him! It was awful wasn't it! :(

kellyg
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm scared, I didnt realise I needed everything documented like that, argh, good job its only my second contracted week, best get to Wilko's for some files......:eek: I dont know what you guys think but I honestly dont believe there is enough training on everyhing for child minders, I mean if it was not for me seeing this I would jsut be thinking about how to go about noting observations etc and to make myself outstanding, think I have a long way to go lol!