PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting query

helendee
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I have been asked to do quite a bit of babysitting in the evenings during the next couple of months, do I have to declare the income to IR or is it separate from my childminding business?

Very confused Helen !!:confused:

sophiestars
09-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't put it through my books. Babysitting is usually cash in hand so I just treat it as a little extra!

I can't see many 16 year old babysitters setting up a business to declare their babysitting earnings!

Also. babysitting is classed as after a certain time in the evening (7pm I think?) and in the child's own home so is separate from childminding.

helendee
09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the reply..... shops here I come lol x:clapping:

Pauline
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
It might be tempting to not put it through your books, but it is illegal and avoidance of tax carries heavy penalties and even imprisonment.:(

Not worth the risk for the few pounds of tax you might save.

I would put it through your books and sleep peacefully at night! :)

Pauline
10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Also. babysitting is classed as after a certain time in the evening (7pm I think?) and in the child's own home so is separate from childminding.

I agree that it is not part of your childminding business, but I think it should be declared as 'other income' on your tax return.

The problem is if it was found out the tax office would probably do a full investigation on your childminding business and accounts.

When working self employed you have to be very careful that you declare all income, no matter how small, to cover yourself from any accusation of tax avoidance. :)

madredann
10-01-2010, 08:45 AM
i would put it through as other income on tax returns, just make sure you offset it against expenses you prob wont pay any tax. If you are insured through NCMA it covers you for babysitting but you have to complete an NCMA Babysitting Checklist http://www.************* signed by parents. Shows you have done ra of there home and have sufficient information about the children contact details in case of an emergency. Under this insurance it covers you for 6 children aged 0-15.
Good luck
Julie

Blackhorse
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
well said Pauline. 100% agreed
It is just not worth the risk!

I would put it through as other income too!

youarewhatyoueat
11-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I put mine through as the babysitting I do I have got because i'm a childminder, for this reason I charge between £6 and £15 per hour and use the ncma babysitting forms so I am insured. It is mainly for people I don't know or in hotels.
If it was an odd few hours for a friend then I probably wouldn't.