PDA

View Full Version : Have I done the right thing ?

twiggy
09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I look after 2 mindees for 2 days a week. Mum arrived to collect them yesterday and wanted to talk to me. It turns out dad has been signed off sick for a month and only gets minimum sick pay.

Mum has said she cannot afford for me to mind the children for the month he is off sick. She has said she understands if I have to fill the space but if she pays me she cannot afford to pay her rent.

I have agreed not to have the children for 4 weeks so long as it is no longer but I stand to lose nearly £400. The children are lovely and I would not fill the 2 spaces if the contract was terminated.

Am I just being a soft touch or is this what everyone else would do. The mum has said if he goes back to work before the month is up she will bring them straight back these are parents who seem very genuine and who always pay me on time.

sarah707
09-01-2010, 04:15 PM
If dad is signed off and their money goes down they should be able to claim back a bigger chunk from tax credits to pay you!

Get them to check it out :D

miffy
09-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh they do tug at the heart strings don't they!

Sarah's right though - ask them to check out the financial position first.

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
09-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I would probably do the same as you especially if they were nice kids and parents seemed genuine (I'm a bit of a soft touch :blush: ) but it would be worth them checking out Tax Credits as Sarah said, even if it is only so they can pay you a percentage to keep the space open till he goes back to work!

Tink
09-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I have got a friend who was in the same situation and the family were able to claim the money lost as long as they produced the Dr's note:D

It's hard because you don't want to lose them but you also don't want to loose your money

jumpinjen
09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
YES, get them to check with tax credits, at the end of the day, tax credits is probably paying 80% of the fees anyway if money is that tight, so they are still going to be given £300 odd pounds from tax credits even if you don't get it, which is technically fraud on their behalf, and they won't be out of pocket then, as they will have £300 odd to spare that they normally pay to you. so it is just you that will be majorly out of pocket.... do you see??? And if he has to be on sick then how can he look after the children properly? And a contract is a legally binding document.... if you were on sick for four weeks, you wouldn't expect them to pay.... if you ask for them money and then she gives notice, you still have four weeks pay anyway under contract don't you?? Could you come to an agreement for half the money so you are not in difficulties??

jenni

wendywu
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
[
QUOTE=jumpinjen;611065]YES, get them to check with tax credits, at the end of the day, tax credits is probably paying 80% of the fees anyway if money is that tight, so they are still going to be given £300 odd pounds from tax credits even if you don't get it, which is technically fraud on their behalf, and they won't be out of pocket then, as they will have £300 odd to spare that they normally pay to you. so it is just you that will be majorly out of pocket.... do you see??? And if he has to be on sick then how can he look after the children properly? And a contract is a legally binding document.... if you were on sick for four weeks, you wouldn't expect them to pay.... if you ask for them money and then she gives notice, you still have four weeks pay anyway under contract don't you?? Could you come to an agreement for half the money so you are not in difficulties?
?I agree with this they could just vanish into the distance and you would not get your 4 weeks notice.:(

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I would probably have done the same seeing how you have a good relationship

I know that you could go down the termination route but dad has been signed off sick and not lost his job so you are going to get them back.

I would call her and say about the TC as she may not know

Experience teaches us to be cynical but this could be genuine - now I am being too nice!!! :laughing:

LittleStar's
09-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I would feel bad doing it but would ask for 50% paid. You also have bills to pay!

Saranotts
09-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I believe in Karma and when once of my mindees parents broke his back and they were unable to afford to use me for a month I happily gave them a month off with no charge and we used the money I had been paid in advance to allow the mindee to come 1/2 a day a week for the month so as to not lose the continuity. I would hope and have found that this means all the parents are and have been very good to me when I have not been able to work (especially with my recent problems) and it does create a good bond.

I am not saying that some parents might not try and take advantage but I think we can normally suss them out.

Sara

Zoomie
09-01-2010, 08:09 PM
YES, get them to check with tax credits, at the end of the day, tax credits is probably paying 80% of the fees anyway if money is that tight, so they are still going to be given £300 odd pounds from tax credits even if you don't get it, which is technically fraud on their behalf, and they won't be out of pocket then, as they will have £300 odd to spare that they normally pay to you. so it is just you that will be majorly out of pocket.... do you see??? And if he has to be on sick then how can he look after the children properly? And a contract is a legally binding document.... if you were on sick for four weeks, you wouldn't expect them to pay.... if you ask for them money and then she gives notice, you still have four weeks pay anyway under contract don't you?? Could you come to an agreement for half the money so you are not in difficulties??

jenni

Not having a go but tax credits is unlikely to be paying this particular couple 80%, and just because someone is earning more money doesn't mean they have more disposable income. More often than not, when you get a pay rise, your standard of living rises ...

I would probably have done the same thing as OP, but as others have already mentioned, it is worth also CM checking if her own tax credits will also be adjusted :huh:

twiggy
10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I can't go back on my word and ask her for any money now but I will tell her to contact tax credits. It does annoy me that I'm going to be the loser but I would not want to see them evicted. They do claim tax credits for childcare so I presume my money is being used to pay the rent.
I have no Council tax and water rates to pay in Feb and March so this will help my finances a little. What a great start to 2010!