PDA

View Full Version : Information on computer......

abijacgem
09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
HI can someone please advise.........do I have to register with any agencies if I am keeping childrens' records on my laptop? I have a feeling I do but not sure who it would be with.

Hope someone can shed some light.
x Linnie

sonia ann
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
This is a copy of the e- mail I received from Data Protection when I enquired....just follow the link.....

Thank you for your email of 19 May. If the photographs of the children are taken with a digital camera and/or stored on the computer, notification will be required as this is classed as electronic processing.

You can start the application process on-line at http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/notification.aspxor by telephoning our Notification Helpline on 01625 545740. The fee is £35.00 (VAT nil) annually.

Regards

Notification Department

nokidshere
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Sorry I am confused?

If I store info on my personal computer that no-one but me uses why would I need to register with data protection? Surely thats only for information that other people might be able to access (ie a website)?

jumpinjen
09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Is it the same if i delete them after i have printed the ones I need? And i write the observations up on the computer too, does that get included in electronic processing??

jen

sarah707
09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
To clarify - the rules for childminders registering for data protection purposes are slightly unclear.

it depends on exactly what you store and how you store it.

laptops and computers can be both misused and stolen and information / photos which identify children must not be kept on them unless you are registered.

However, if you use them as a passage to print photos and then delete you should / might be ok.

In the first instance it is best to make a list of all the ways you use your computer for childminding / children's / family information and contact the ICO to make enquiries about your individual requirement for registration.

If you are required to register it costs £35 a year which must be updated annually.

hth :D

abijacgem
09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
As I keep all my records on my laptop, including photos, then I will register anyway. Thanks for the link. x Linnie

abijacgem
09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
:eek: Hi, I am just working through the application form. Has anyone got a policy for "Security - Safe storage or personal details" or similar??

jumpinjen
09-01-2010, 05:12 PM
try the bromley childminding site, they have a data protection policy i think!

jenni:)

jumpinjen
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
To clarify - the rules for childminders registering for data protection purposes are slightly unclear.

it depends on exactly what you store and how you store it.

laptops and computers can be both misused and stolen and information / photos which identify children must not be kept on them unless you are registered.

However, if you use them as a passage to print photos and then delete you should / might be ok.

In the first instance it is best to make a list of all the ways you use your computer for childminding / children's / family information and contact the ICO to make enquiries about your individual requirement for registration.

If you are required to register it costs £35 a year which must be updated annually.

hth :D

sarah, I think hat from your reply it is clear that i must register as there is identifying information kept on my computer, because the children's faces are visible and I store them in a 'snapfish' folder ready to order once a month.... thankyou for clarifying this!

jenni:)

The Juggler
09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I registered 18 months ago to be on safe side.

abijacgem
11-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Just to add.......I went online to register, and its not totally clear (well not for me anyway) so I called them today and they are sending me a pre-completed form through the post which only needs to be signed and returned with payment. They were really helpful x:clapping: