PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of seeming nosy.....

helendee
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Ok I admit that I am ;) but I was just wondering how much you all spend on toys and resources over the course of the year. I have just submitted my tax return and was surprised to find that I had only spent about £150 on toys last year, does that seem too little?

TheBTeam
08-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I spend a lot, but then we have a reasonable income and I am a collectaholic when it comes to toys, pushchairs and car seats!

Also because we can care for 6 small children and often have 6-8 older children here then we need to buy things in reasonable quantities, not always literally that they have one each but there is no point in us having a tiny bucket of lego, we have a huge plastic storage box full and the same with brio etc, if we buy something like 'teddylink' or 'cotton reels' we buy 2 or 3 lots etc. So we easily spend a good few hundred pound a year on toys and games and craft stuff, magazines and bits. Christmas and special occasion crafts costs a bit too. For instance i had a new boy coming who was obsessed with WWE wrestling figures so i went and bought £25 of secondhand stuff for him so that as well as everything else he had something he loved to play with, and Mr Potato head stuff for the younger ones!

I think you need to think that it is not so much how much you spend, but whether you feel you have enough stuff, and how many children it is to be used by and for how long, some of our children come for around 50 hours per week and we need more than for the ones that come 8 hours a week to stop us feeling like they play with the same things over and over again! Although i think we get bored quicker than they do.

mama2three
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I dont spend much at the moment as I only started in Sept and so wont pay any tax that i could write costs off against ( if that makes sense). have a huge wish list for when i do start spending though!!

berkschick
08-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I spend a fair bit on toys.

I also put my 3 year olds birthday and xmas presents through my books if the minded kids will have access to them as they are benefiting from them.

Her dolls house is to be lept in her room so I have not put that through.

I put through her peppa pig castle and 2 bits have already been chewed by a mindee!!

beccas
08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
i spend anything on toys havent really ahd a look nut last year on resources spent £1000 plus i know that but i also put present through my books

Mouse
08-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Over the years I've spent way too much, but I am trying to stop myself now as I really don't need anything else for the mindees. I have enough toys & craft stuff to open at least a couple of shops & I have enough equipment to do out a small nursery!

I really have to stop myself and whenever I'm tempted to buy anything I tell myself that I really don't need it.

So far this year (what's the date? 8th Jan?!) I've spent £25 on toys, £12 on a play mat and almost £500 on a pushchair (though admittedly I had a grant for that). Oh, and I've bought some storage boxes, notebooks for daily diaries, 2 diaries for me to use solely for childminding, a nappy bag...

...OK, maybe I'm not being firm enough with myself :ROFL1:

berkschick
08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Over the years I've spent way too much, but I am trying to stop myself now as I really don't need anything else for the mindees. I have enough toys & craft stuff to open at least a couple of shops & I have enough equipment to do out a small nursery!

I really have to stop myself and whenever I'm tempted to buy anything I tell myself that I really don't need it.

So far this year (what's the date? 8th Jan?!) I've spent £25 on toys, £12 on a play mat and almost £500 on a pushchair (though admittedly I had a grant for that). Oh, and I've bought some storage boxes, notebooks for daily diaries, 2 diaries for me to use solely for childminding, a nappy bag...

...OK, maybe I'm not being firm enough with myself :ROFL1:

Dont think your new years resolution of limiting yourself is working lol

Monkey1
08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I spend far too much!....mainly on craft materials and books:blush: i'd rather spend it on the kids than give it to the tax man!

LittleStar's
08-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I dont spend much at the moment as I only started in Sept and so wont pay any tax that i could write costs off against ( if that makes sense). have a huge wish list for when i do start spending though!!

me too! Just need the income first! :D

Chatterbox Childcare
08-01-2010, 10:14 PM
last year was £3500 and the previous year £4600

I do spend a lot on arts and craft and also christmas/birthday presents/easter eggs come under this too

Blaze
09-01-2010, 12:06 AM
My spending is in the thousands:eek: :D - but I would rather spend it on resources then give it to the taxman IYSWIM!

helenlc
09-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I have not spent much for a while but with two new potential mindees starting this week, I think I need some new things!!!:D

I spent about a tenner in the Xmas shop that was closing down in town - it was all half price and I got loads of craft stuff and decorations for the conservatory which I have put up in the loft for next Xmas.

My income has been a bit low the last few weeks but once it picks up in the next week or two, it will be spend spend spend!!!:clapping: :clapping:

miffy
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I spend too much - it's very rare I go shopping and don't come back with something childminding related!

Miffy xx

edayhouse
12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Over the past 12 months i have spent just over £3000, this seems like a lot but i bought a wooden play centre worth £1500 then a couple of outdoor toys, paddling pool, slide etc

The rest of the money was spent on art/crafts, lego, playdoh, car seats etc

charleyfarley
12-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I spend too much - it's very rare I go shopping and don't come back with something childminding related!

Miffy xx

Me too, Daz will vouch for that :D
Just been to Morrisons for some bread and fruit and come back with 4 large storage boxes to keep the resources tidy :thumbsup:

Carol xx

mummyof3
12-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I've spent lots already this year I have found some weeks I spent more than I earnt:eek:

I would also rather spend a fortune on crafts and toys than give it to the tax man so if in March I notice I might have to pay tax I will be going on a mad spending spree on toys/books/crafts because I'd rather my mindees had the benefit than the greedy tax man! :p

loocyloo
12-01-2010, 02:10 PM

:ROFL1:

i have spent about £100 already this year !!! bought a load of books& games i wanted for themes for the next few months, and then just 'had' to buy some other bits i saw ....

i was looking at a toy catalogue the other day and was really pleased 'cos i couldn't see anything i wanted !!! LOL !!!:laughing:

estrelas
12-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I'd like some money to spend on toys!!!!:laughing:

helendee
12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Wish I had that sort of money to spend on toys but most of what I earn goes to clothe and feed us, not much left over for luxuries!!!:( :(

Heaven Scent
12-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Since starting in 2007 I have spent 1,000's but thats because I've had to start off with it all again - I had very very little as before moving here I filled 4 lrg white vans with my kids toys etc for an orphanage in Russia. a colleague of mine was going on a mercy mission - he does it every year so off it went I was teaching childcare at the time so as far as I was concerned I'd never have any need for any of it - I also gave loads and loads of baby equip to a nursery that my friend used to own. Its strange the path our lives take sometimes isn't it!!!:) Despite it costing a fortune I'm glad I've done it and I'd much rather spend it on the kiddies than give it to the tax man. I'll be spending loads more for the foreseable future I have tonnes of stuff I need to buy just for minding - e.g. storage etc to keep all the equip I've bought in - great :laughing: :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I usually spend quite a bit, but I have had £2500 in funding this tax year so haven't needed to buy as much myself - lovely as that is it means I will probably have a HUGE tax bill next year :angry: but of course I put the money away that I would have spent on toys/resources......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................ NOT!!!!!!! :blush:

Lady Haha
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm so glad I read this thread! I spend an absolute fortune on toys and craft stuff, it's my biggest outgoing cost easily!!! I was worried that the taxman might think it a bit suspect that I am spending nearly a quarter of my income on this stuff!!!

I feel better now! Boots 75% off sale tomorrow!!

little chickee
13-01-2010, 10:48 AM
I've not done my tax return yet :eek: but could safely say that i'd be surprised if i've spend more than £150 on actual resources.

i have 3 kids of my own and i never throw anything away unless i absolutley have to and as i mainly mind under 5's i am using all my kids old ( but still in good condition) toys. i have a huge range of outdoor toys (again mostly my kids old toys etc. and nothing as yet needs replacing.

i am using buggies, travel cot, highchairs, bouncers, walkers, carseats etc that i already had and have just been given a free double buggy!

i try to spend as little as possible to be honest!