PDA

View Full Version : snow and prams!

Moominmomma
08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
How are you all getting about in the snow. We've had lots of snow and I'm struggling to do the school run, double buggy, 5 kids = bad back! Luckily my DH has had lots of snow days this week but not today and I'm in agony!
:eek:

venus89
08-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I had to pull the double buggy backwards up the hill :laughing: The single's fine in the snow but tough going in the sluchy bits where they gritted the pavements.....

mama2three
08-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I got a real bargain double buggy off ebay for £23 - which has huge old fashioned wheels and has been slicing through! only 1 littly but no way my single would have got anywhere!

Mouse
08-01-2010, 09:27 PM
I've not been too bad. My new tandem is fabby & has big back wheels which grip pretty well. If I didn't have hold of it I'm sure I'd have been over quite a few times. It was hard going pushing it in places with 2 children in it & 2 hanging on the sides & letting me virtually pull them along!

Today I used the baby's own pram & that was a bit harder. We were slipping a fair bit, but again, I'm sure hanging on to it stopped me falling over!

beccas
08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
when i use side streets i am walking at edge of road while kids walk on path next to me.

madasahatter
08-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Definitely a case of the bigger the wheels the easier it is to push. My single that I bought back in feb has got nice big wheels and is coping very well. The pushchair it replaced had tiny wheels and last feb when we had a good weeks worth of snow and ice here in yorkshire it was like pushing a huge full box up the hill.
Next best is my tandem double (marco sky) and worst is my side by side double (graco). Because the schools have been closed for much of the week I've not had to use my doubles, but next week I almost certainly will as I can't imagine they'll close again in a hurry.

Thankfully all my walking LO's are nursery age and quite road sensible. They will happily hold the hand of my older mindee (age 11, yr 6), and she will hold theirs and walk on the path whilst I go on the road with the pushchair if I have to. You just do what you can to minimize risks.

Blaze
09-01-2010, 12:02 AM
My unban detour - single (& double when & had it) & my mountain buggy single & double (these IMHO are THE best) are fabulous in the snow!:clapping:

balloon
09-01-2010, 07:36 AM
I haven't been out much but when I have I've used my mountain buggy double urban, its the only thing thats sliced through the snow!

The twin mac wouldn't have stood a chance, lol!

CAZMCA
09-01-2010, 07:59 AM
so glad i got the phil and teds for my lil girl, has fab big chunky wheels so all terrain a doddle and also came with a free back bit to make a double :clapping:

louised
09-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I've only had to go out with my double urban detour once as the schools have been closed but I really struggled, the snow is very deep here and it's really difficult to push through it, added about 20 mins on to my journey time

daisyboo1980
09-01-2010, 10:14 AM
i would have been lost without my phil and ted it did slip or slide and was easy to push with the 2 in it

Annie_T
09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
we have quite bit snow. i used the mindee's buggy as she has big wheels and the 2 front ones are doubled wheels but are not that close together so it helps.

using the stroller in snow is a no go as thwheels are small and close together

it has been hard work but i managed

onceinabluemoon
09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Pushchairs with larger pneumatic tyres definitely seemed to find the going easier around here too.

mushpea
09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Urban detour double and single buggy, the best ever buy i've ever made i think, they go through the snow without any effort what so ever which is good cause i hate being stuck in!

Hebs
09-01-2010, 11:55 AM
thank god for my phil and teds :laughing:

mindees mum has asked to borrow it while i'm away :laughing:

FizzysFriends
09-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I couldn't fit the P&T in the car yestarday because I needed the foot so took the maclaren in the foot well and it was sliding all over the place and burying itself in the snow.

georgie456
09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
I used my tandem yesterday morning and it was ok till we reached school where no snow had been walked on! I could barely move it!!!! Needless to say when I went back in the afternoon, I left early and walked mindee (2yrs) and DS (18mths) Took a while but I was less puffed out! Luckily school is very close!

jo f
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
DD's nursery was shut all week so not really been out but when it first snowed I took the sledge out to nursery ( only had 2 kids age 2 and 3, so not bad). I have to go out next week with the pram dreading it!

Moominmomma
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I was thinking of attaching ski's to my pram! my kids school is closed Monday fingers crossed for a few days! :clapping: