PDA

View Full Version : What multticultural resources would you buy if you could?

jumpinjen
08-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi,

This is an area of my provision that is weaker than the others, and I've an opportunity to apply for some funding to boost the weaker areas, what would you apply for if you could?

Jen:)

beccas
08-01-2010, 06:41 PM
dressing up outfits ( better to buy proper outfits i do in sales) i have lots bought threw aisan online shops.

musical instruments seen lots of multicultural ones a bit expensive

books

puppets (ebay have good ones i got lots)

Food and cooking utensils.

sandy64
08-01-2010, 06:42 PM
you could get multicultural dolls, dressing up costumes, multi cultural small world figures, posters, coloured paper, cooking utensils ie wok. fabrics.books theres so much isnt there when i got a grant i got lots happy shopping

Annie_T
08-01-2010, 06:46 PM
dress up clothes

elc do happy land people has a people of the world set & others

various music things

books

mulitcultral means people doing different jobs (lady as fireman etc), people from different countries (french, indian etc),

i know you said you want buy things but also

you could do tasting days - french things, idian things etc

miffy
08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
dolls - realistic ones and clothing

fabrics - like sari material or African prints

cooking utensils/food items from around the world - balti dishes, wok etc

dual language books

musical instruments

artefacts from different faiths

There are some nice things here

http://*************************/

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all those suggestions, Miffy that link doesn't work ?? I'd love to look, am intrigued by the idea of artefacts from different countries or faiths ass i have made "continent draws" and when we do a celebration day, we look at where the country is on the globe and put our pictures/photos/recipes/books etc into the draw so we are building upa collection of things to explore and look back on that the children relate to as they trigger memories and questions. the artefacts would really tie in with this!

jenni

beccas
08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
dolls - realistic ones and clothing

fabrics - like sari material or African prints

cooking utensils/food items from around the world - balti dishes, wok etc

dual language books

musical instruments

artefacts from different faiths

There are some nice things here

http://*************************/

Miffy xx

can you pm us the address

Monkey1
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I was lucky my MIL made me a set of dolls . a chinese girl, an indian girl, an african boy and a caucasian boy with red hair and glasses. frightened to let them play with them to be honest!:blush:

Chell
08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I've just been going through my resources to see what I have (homework for my course):

My First Question and Answers book (The Works, part of a 3 for £10 offer)
The Picture Atlas of the World (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Atlas-World-Richard-Kemp/dp/0751350001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262978325&sr=1-1) - use ther link for Amazon in the shop section to help fund the forum. :thumbsup:

Child's Play Sing and Sign Along books show children from different ethnis backgrounds, cheeky plug but I sell those, also a good resource to show images of children with disablilities.

Dora the Explorer books and jigsaws.

Disney Princess items have characters with different skin colours/cultures - Jasmine, Tinkerbell, etc.

Russian dolls - mine were from Knot Just Jigs but they don't seem to have them now.

Handa's Suprise/Hen (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=handa&x=0&y=0) - I think Sparklebox have printables for this book.

Artefacts and general religious - we have a Buddha ornanment in our front room

Home Corner - Any ideas for buying play food from other countries???? I thought of laminating some menu/pictures of food from other countries.

Dressing Up clothes - Any ideas?????

Games - French snap. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snap-Cards-French-Jo-Litchfield/dp/0746062575/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262978765&sr=8-2)

What dolls do you all have? I don't have any.

Fisher price Little People - figures have different skin colours.

Posters and Photos - Free printables online eg School Links site. This gave me an idea, we need things to brighten up our newly painted front room. I am going to look at our pics from when we walked the Great Wall and see if any would make a good canvas.

Muscial instruments - any ideas please?????

Wide range of food from different cultures as part of my snack/meals menu.

Chell
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
dress up clothes
mulitcultral means people doing different jobs (lady as fireman etc), people from different countries (french, indian etc),

Thanks for that, I can raid my website stock for a Police lady puppet. I didn't know this. :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I have some lovely musical instruments, two moroccan animal skin drums, picked up at a boot sale for £1 (for them both!), and a few things from the book/art dhop "the works", they have great stuff like a a frog guano and a little drum on a stick with beads either side that bang i as you spin it between your hands, and a rainmaker.

I have "wow" toys, they have multicultural figures and positive gender roles like female mechanics etc!

I have a big puppet doll that you can make talk, and bloak and asian soft bodies dolls that are just beautiful.

i have different fabrics in dressing up, a very diverse collection of books, some puzzles, but not much other cooking stuff. I read somewhere that it doesn;t teach the children anything if it is all mixed in togetherm that you shoudl introduce it with a theme, like wok cooking a stir fry, then put a wok and utensils all together in a group in the role play resources so the children know how to use it. has anyone else read this?

jenni

jumpinjen
08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I have some lovely musical instruments, two moroccan animal skin drums, picked up at a boot sale for £1 (for them both!), and a few things from the book/art dhop "the works", they have great stuff like a a frog guano and a little drum on a stick with beads either side that bang i as you spin it between your hands, and a rainmaker.

I have "wow" toys, they have multicultural figures and positive gender roles like female mechanics etc!

I have a big puppet doll that you can make talk, and bloak and asian soft bodies dolls that are just beautiful.

i have different fabrics in dressing up, a very diverse collection of books, some puzzles, but not much other cooking stuff. I read somewhere that it doesn;t teach the children anything if it is all mixed in togetherm that you shoudl introduce it with a theme, like wok cooking a stir fry, then put a wok and utensils all together in a group in the role play resources so the children know how to use it. has anyone else read this?

jenni

sweets
08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
i havnt purposely gone out and bought multi-cultural resources! i think it should be part of our society and not neccessarily 'pointed' out to children. i have got a set of cultural happyland people that i bought just because they were half price and the others werent. i have also got a black doll i bought because it was cute! my mindees are all preschool and dont really understand about different cultures and countries. they see 'black people' and people with disabilities on the tv and dont comment on them, they just dont see differences. which i think it is the way it should be. if they ask questions then of course i answer them. one of my 4 year olds did ask once why a lady was wearing a 'pretty dress' (sari) i just said it was because she was indian and thats what they sometimes wear.

Chell
08-01-2010, 08:30 PM
i havnt purposely gone out and bought multi-cultural resources!

The list I posted above was all things my children have in their rooms, nothing has been bought specially. :thumbsup:

ajs
08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
when j was born i bought S a baby born Indian doll and bought one for the playroom too.
over the years we have collected a number of books and toys and las tyear in manchester i bought a really beautiful 4 foot black doll my little ones love her and s walks her to school and has named her Suzi

little_gems
08-01-2010, 09:39 PM
i recevied a grant and some of the things i brought included:
mutlicultral dolls and clothes - hope education
jigsaws - hope education
books
musical instruments - tts
dressing up clothes hope education
colouring crayons - hope education

HTH

beccas
08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
i havnt purposely gone out and bought multi-cultural resources! i think it should be part of our society and not neccessarily 'pointed' out to children. i have got a set of cultural happyland people that i bought just because they were half price and the others werent. i have also got a black doll i bought because it was cute! my mindees are all preschool and dont really understand about different cultures and countries. they see 'black people' and people with disabilities on the tv and dont comment on them, they just dont see differences. which i think it is the way it should be. if they ask questions then of course i answer them. one of my 4 year olds did ask once why a lady was wearing a 'pretty dress' (sari) i just said it was because she was indian and thats what they sometimes wear.

I have to agree with you here i am white my hubby is pakistani and my kids range form white with blue eyes to dark skin and brown eyes and one in between. my ds whos is 5 sees her self as brown even though she is light skinned and when my oldest now 11 was in part time school he drew apicture of himself in brown paint and got really upset cos there wasnt any black paint for his hair. ( the funi thing is he has light brown hair and as white as me :laughing: ) my neices and nephews on my hubbys side never comment about my colour as they have all grown up with me the only time any one asked me was my neice aged 6 asked why i was a muslim if cos i was white skinned. i explained it doesnt matter aboout skin colour.etc.

jumpinjen
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I too take things as being part of normal life, and as we are out and about I answer questions as they come up (like one asking me why they were putting a man in the boot of the car..... he was in a wheelchair adn it was a people carrier!) But I don't see that we should resist having resources that reflect multicultural and inclusive ideas. I don't store them ina separate cupboard labelled as 'multicultural' or 'inclusive', they are in with construction sets, role play resources, books, puzzles etc. They are a normal part of the setting just as they are a normal part of life!

I was curious to see what really lovely things wre out there as I don't want to buy for the sake of it, i want them to be lovely things that the chidlren will want ot use again and again.

Jenni:)

miffy
09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all those suggestions, Miffy that link doesn't work ?? I'd love to look, am intrigued by the idea of artefacts from different countries or faiths ass i have made "continent draws" and when we do a celebration day, we look at where the country is on the globe and put our pictures/photos/recipes/books etc into the draw so we are building upa collection of things to explore and look back on that the children relate to as they trigger memories and questions. the artefacts would really tie in with this!

jenni

Sorry, not sure what happened to the link

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Search.aspx?ste=artefacts&ssu=RE&

Also see

www.theequaloppshop.co.uk

It's not letting me add a link for the festival shop but google it

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
You are a honey, what would I do without you??

Hugs, jenni:clapping: