PDA

View Full Version : Response from ofsted re outstanding providers event

miss mopple
08-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I emailed them my response

Hello

thankyou for my invitation to the 08/09 Outstanding Providers event.

Much as I would love to attend unfortunately am unable to for the following reasons:

I question how much thought has been given to childminders in the planning of this event and would welcome a response on this matter. All dates listed are during the week, which makes it virtually impossible for us to attend without letting down many families who need our childcare facilities, not to mention the fact that even if we could rearrange care for children it would seriously impact our earnings. If I personally were to attend, as well as inconveniencing 4 families it would cost me in the region of £150, before travel costs have been taken into account as the venues are not local. As a self employed person I am sure you can see that this is not feasible, particularly in the current economic climate.

Regards

2hrs later and they have replied

Thankyou for your email, which has been forwarded to me.

I do understand your frustration, and am very sorry you aren't able to attend one of our events. We always have difficult decisions to make about both dates and venues for each event, as we're constrained by wanting to deliver the best possible value for money, venue capacities and facilities, available dates and transport links. We are very mindful of the potential challenges faced by childminders who would like to attend and, in 2009, we were able to hold one of the early years and childminder events on a Saturday. Unfortunately, this has not been possible this year for the reasons I have given, above.

We have three choices of venue and dates for early years and childminders this year - in London, Manchester and Sheffield - which we hoped would give as many outstanding providers as possible the chance to celebrate with Ofsted and their colleagues their success and contribution to raising standards and improving young lives. If you are able to come to one of these, I look forward to welcoming you there.

Kind regards

so the upshot as far as I can see is they cant afford to cater for us properly this year :censored:

loocyloo
08-01-2010, 01:08 PM
i was about to post the same !!!!

also to ask ... has anyone been to one of these events and apart from having a photo taken, what is the point? !!!

x

The Juggler
08-01-2010, 01:47 PM
charming! how equal opportunities of them....

louni
08-01-2010, 02:02 PM
To be honest, that was my opinion when I got my letter, do I really want to use my valuable time to have my photo taken with someone who I have never met, never will do again and wouldn't know if I fell over them?! Sorry to sound a grump, but I do wonder what the point is?! xx

carol cameron
08-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Totally agree with everthing said so far. I didn't attend for the same reasons outlined but e-mailed OFSTED and they sent my mug, bag and badge which I assume I would have been given then.

sarah707
09-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I got a very similar reply when I sent an email to complain exactly about this last year.

it's good to know they have listened :rolleyes:

To those who can go... it's lovely to be told you are the best! :D

SmartKids
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I was just wondering whether to email them myself - I think I will now as you say it's not just the cost of getting to the event - but the fees we will loose. I also have 2 parents = 3 children on that day that are teachers and obviously have to go to work. I've heard it is a good event, however they do keep on praising us through the day at how good we are.