PDA

View Full Version : Another would you charge question - sorry

AliceK
08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi

I mind a LO aged 18mths and they live approx 5 miles from me so they bring LO to me and then go back to where they live to go to work. Anyway because of the snow her elder siblings school is shut and has been since Weds and because the roads are inpassible in some places round here they have not been able to bring LO to me since Tues. So basically Weds, Thurs and today I have not had her. Her siblings school has also been shut so mum has had to take the time off work for him anyway. Judging by the forecast for the weekend we are due a LOAD more snow so I'm guessing they won't get to me early part of next week either. So my question is would you charge full fees for these days or would you compromise a bit and charge say half fees but let it be known that it is only down to exceptional circumstances? I'm not sure what to do but feel a bit bad about charging full fees when they really would have been mad to try and drive to me in this weather but then again they chose to use me BUT we really have had exceptionally bad weather the likes of which we haven't had for 30 years.
Any advice welcome :)

xxxxxxx

Pipsqueak
08-01-2010, 11:31 AM
I think under the circumstances ie the roads are genuinely impassable/very dangerous and seeing how its not your fault and are trying to run a business I would charge half fees. I think as well are the parents 'good' with you on the whole - do you get on well with them professionally etc.

Its got to be a balance hasn't it.

grindal
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I think I would still charge (merciless to the end - and you risk setting a precedent for bad weather payments). My mindees mum is a teacher and has been off work since Wed. She has dropped mindee off with me every morning and gone back home to be with her partner and daughter (nursery is shut!)

solly
08-01-2010, 11:33 AM
This might sound bit harsh but i have learnt the hard way, you let parents have a favour and they will always expect it.

I would charge full fee which is what i am doing this week (I also havent worked since Wednesday either) as I am open and happy to work if they can get to me.

I had one parent this morning who wanted me to have her school kids durig the day as the schools are closed but wanted me to do it for free as she couldnt afford to pay me the extra hours. I told her politely i do not offer free childcare.
She flipped her lid that i was being unreasonable and maybe she ought to look at alternative childcare in the future as she feels the kids have outgrown me they are 8 & 5 i told her the choice is hers but she has to give me 4 weeks notice:angry:

AliceK
08-01-2010, 11:38 AM
This might sound bit harsh but i have learnt the hard way, you let parents have a favour and they will always expect it.

I would charge full fee which is what i am doing this week (I also havent worked since Wednesday either) as I am open and happy to work if they can get to me.
I had one parent this morning who wanted me to have her school kids durig the day as the schools are closed but wanted me to do it for free as she couldnt afford to pay me the extra hours. I told her politely i do not offer free childcare.
She flipped her lid that i was being unreasonable and maybe she ought to look at alternative childcare in the future as she feels the kids have outgrown me they are 8 & 5 i told her the choice is hers but she has to give me 4 weeks notice:angry:

This is what I'm thinking, I've been open and have had another LO here with me who lives locally. I was just feeling guilty about charging for doing nothing, guess I'm just a softie but I think you're right I should charge. I've been very kind with the contract I don't charge them anything during school hols (she's term time only) I haven't taken a retainer and don't charge them for my hols and only half fees for their hols IF I am given 4 wks notice of them so all in all I think they are getting a good deal anyway.

BTW the parent wanting free childcare????? What planet is she on :censored:

xxxxxx

wendywu
08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
No i would charge full fees as you are avilable to work.

Other wise you loose out purely on the fact you have mindees who live a few miles away from you and that is not fair. And on the other hand you would not, not take them on because of this. :)

Pipsqueak
08-01-2010, 11:42 AM
i agree about setting a precedent for non/payments etc and normally I am tough as old boots about this sort of thing BUT at the moment it is unprecedented weather conditions.
Under the terms of contract, yes you are entitled to your full and proper fees.
I guess it depends what you are happy and comfortable with, your relationship with the parent.
I think (for me personally) I would charge half or a slightly reduced fee and make it clear this is a one-off goodwill thingy.

AliceK
08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
i agree about setting a precedent for non/payments etc and normally I am tough as old boots about this sort of thing BUT at the moment it is unprecedented weather conditions.
Under the terms of contract, yes you are entitled to your full and proper fees.
I guess it depends what you are happy and comfortable with, your relationship with the parent.
I think (for me personally) I would charge half or a slightly reduced fee and make it clear this is a one-off goodwill thingy.

ooohh I'm confused now. I'll have a think about it over the weekend. Half of me says charge as normal the other half says charge a reduced fee

xxxxx

wendywu
08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
1: When they picked a CM who lived miles away from them they must have realised that they would not be able to use your services if, it snowed, flooded, roads got closed for any reason, the car broke down, they were unable to drive for any reason.

2: And this is the question we all need to ask ourselves. If we as CM had unprecedented reasons why we could not work. Our car broke down, we were snowed in, illness or any other reason. Would they offer to STILL pay us half. If they would then by all means reduce money owed for them. If the answer is NO, well you have answered the question for yourself.:)

Tatjana
08-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I would also charge full fees, after all you rely on the income, how are you supposed to cope on half fees?

However, if you feel really awful about it andf they are good parents, why not offer say 10-20% off fees instead? Half is quite drastic imo.

xx

lovemyprams
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I am charging for all of mine!

It is not my fault because of the snow and I still have my bills to pay!

I had 1 child out of 8 turn up on Tues (Mum worked from home and Dad went home after trying to get to work). They picked child up earlier though so had early finish.:clapping:

I had 2 out of 8 turn up on Wed and Thurs.

(most were before and after school children, some over 8 years whose parents would have to pay for the full day if I cared for them).

The parents have all been paid from their employees so they havent lost any income.

Hope you decide whats best for you.:)

The Juggler
08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
it depends on parent and how they are with give and take. HOWEVER, if mum is employed and taking holiday/getting full pay for being off then I would charge full fee as they are not financially worse off. If you know mum is self-employed or temping and is losing money I might say, I should charge full this week but feel bad that you are not being paid so as a one off gesture because of the extreme weather this time I will take xxx amount off."

I would only do this IF you can afford it though - you still have your bills to pay!

childminder54
08-01-2010, 02:06 PM
mine are still paying me full fee..

veronicax

AliceK
08-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Thank you all. What you are saying makes complete sense. I don't think mum is temping and def not self employed so I'm guessing she will still be getting paid. "a snow day" she called it. SO I WILL charge full-fees (and just cringe inwardly when I give the invoice for next week to dad ) and hope he gets the money for this week to me as soon as poss.

Thank you

xxxx

hello kitty
08-01-2010, 02:14 PM
As mine pay in advance I have already been paid and I will not be offering a refund! ;)

suzyblue
08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Charge!!!!!!!!!

wendywu
08-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Mine all pay in advance. But i never charge a late fee, the Monday before Christmas our area came to a complete halt. I had mindees for an extra 3 hours andi did not charge for that. So it is give and take.:)

kindredspirits
08-01-2010, 04:06 PM
yes i would charge full fee's i don't see why we should loose out because of the snow - one parent told me that it wasn't her fault it had snowed, i very politely told her that whilst she could think of me as 'god' if she wanted it wasn't my fault either and i still have to pay the bills.

AliceK
08-01-2010, 04:35 PM
They pay weekly in advance, well on a Tuesday (although this has slipped a bit lately). They came on Tuesday and I gave them the invoice Tues morning but they did not bring the money tuesday night which I wasn't too worried about but obviously I have not seen them since and unlikely to for a while I would guess so they will be due 2 weeks when they do come. Could really do with the money as well, after Xmas and all that :eek:

xxxxxx

margaret
08-01-2010, 04:46 PM
i have charged full fee with no complaints.whats the point in having a contract if we keep feeling sorry for parents ,they dont think about ou bank balance,know this sounds harsh but its business.

miffy
08-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I've had this week off sick so parents haven't had to pay me - it's worked out well for all of them as they haven't been to work due to the snow and they've saved on their childcare.

None of them have beat a path to my door offering to pay me! Don't be soft, you are entitled to be paid so charge.

Miffy xx

wendywu
08-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Many people who are CMs state that we must act as professionals.

Surely this means being like many other business who will charge you if you miss an appointment. Bad weather or not. :)

I will do extras no problem, but having older children all day at short notice is very hard work:(

carol cameron
08-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I explain to my parents that my mortgage company still have to have full payment regardless of the weather..............

berkschick
08-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Full fee here too.

I had one child for 5 hours yesterday, he was due for 1 hour before school only. I did not have him weds or today even though I had been paid for before school hours. Checked my bank earlier and the Mum had transferred £40, a whole days money for me having him for 5 hours when she had already paid me for one anyway! I rung her to say that she has paid me way to much and that I would refund her but she said she was so grateful that I had helped out.

Then I had another Mum asking me to have her baby who is normally at a nursery but the nursery is closed due to snow and she wanted me to have her for nothing as the older child was "owed hours due to the snow!" I told her she was not owed anything as I was here and ready to work but she didnt even text to say they were not coming!

Definately charge!

Where abouts in Berks are you, I am in Lower Earley.

AliceK
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Full fee here too.

I had one child for 5 hours yesterday, he was due for 1 hour before school only. I did not have him weds or today even though I had been paid for before school hours. Checked my bank earlier and the Mum had transferred £40, a whole days money for me having him for 5 hours when she had already paid me for one anyway! I rung her to say that she has paid me way to much and that I would refund her but she said she was so grateful that I had helped out.

Then I had another Mum asking me to have her baby who is normally at a nursery but the nursery is closed due to snow and she wanted me to have her for nothing as the older child was "owed hours due to the snow!" I told her she was not owed anything as I was here and ready to work but she didnt even text to say they were not coming!

Definately charge!

Where abouts in Berks are you, I am in Lower Earley.

'Im in Woodley so just down the road from you :) . Have you ventured out in the car yet. Local roads here are horrendous, went out today for the first time and was a bit scary :blush:

xxx