PDA

View Full Version : observations

terrydoo73
08-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I live in NI so do not do observations for any Ofsted regulations or anything but I want to do something to give me a better perspective on 2 of the children I mind.

I am having a problem with them in terms of their approach to playing while in my care and I thought if I could do some observations over a period of time it might help me put things in perspective.

These children are with me nearly 9 hours a day and it concerns me that they do no genuine playing for any period of time in my setting - mother does not care and thinks I am blowing it out of perspective - her attitude is "when they are at home I just let them get on with it" - this is a different setting and I don't want to be doing my own thing while they do their own messing about. I think it is important that when they come to my house they do something that has lasting value and importance - otherwise why do I mind children? Surely it is good that I am seeing my job as relevant to childrens development (you can see my self esteem is at rock bottom in this respect at present)?

I want to do it in such a way that it is very exact ie child D played with XXX for whatever length of time - he worked at .... etc. I need to show what he is interested in or not as the case may be, how much time has been spent not doing anything, when they actually ask for something or general questions on a toy they are playing with. There are 2 others in my setting 3 days a week and I want to observe them on these days to see if it is a problem of interaction, social mixing etc. Obviously I want to highlight the positive outcomes and what I could do to improve situation for them both ie providing other relevant toys or equipment etc or just doing a specific activity when on their own that they enjoy.

Anyone got suggestions as to how I do it?

sarah707
08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
There are some excellent samples of forms etc to start you off here -

http://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/cms/education-and-learning/enjoy-and-achieve/early-years-and-childcare/information-for-providers/early-years-foundation-stage.aspx

Hth :D

mama2three
08-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I think i would start by using a time sample. so every so many minutes you chart what area child is in , what doing , who with etc. fairly soon you will get a clear picture of their social habits and likes / dislikes etc.

you dont say how old the children are - but i sometimes think mine do little ' genuine playing ' but they are young and have quite short attention spans. I leave activities out and they often return a little time later. Sometimes I have felt that i have actually offered too many toys / activities / areas at once - so they flit as they are overwhelmed by the choice ( especially if they dont have so much to do at home).

Jules12Wed
08-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I've just looked at these samples, they are really good and really helpful. Thank you Sarah you always know where to find such useful information.

terrydoo73
08-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks Sarah - these look really great - I know what I will be doing over the weekend now!

Yes I have done what I term structured play - I limit the children to one room and set out a maximum of 2 boxes for the children to play with - problem is they never look near any of them!

As I speak this morning the youngest mindee has - played with Fifi and the Flowerpots house, looked and fingered the trains, played with the garage and is at present using scissors to cut a piece of paper into a thousand bits! I know that he definately is happier on his own just working his way from one thing to another - problem is when sister comes in and she demands that he play with her and what she wants and he is so gullible that he does for a while but gets fed up quickly and both end up spending a considerable amount of time sitting on the couch staring at each other because I need to impose a time out to stop the quarrelling and fighting!

This boy is 2 1/2 years of age and his big sister 4. I am concerned for the simple reason that boy goes to nursery in September and if he is having a problem mixing and playing with others how will he cope in a 30 place setting?

sarah707
08-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I think you are right to be concerned and it sounds like you have a situation under control.

I am lucky because I have a few children at the same time so the baby can be kept occupied while I do things with the older child - it does make a difference!

if the child is happy cutting up pieces of paper and can concentrate on this task for a while then don't worry that he is not cutting the paper you wanted him to cut - it's the task and the willingness to do it that are the most important things.

:D

lovemyprams
08-01-2010, 12:36 PM
EYFS pathway profile.

Just looked at this and think it is fantastic and would help me so much.:clapping:

Do you know if there are blank ones available to print out so I dont have to print the completed ones and delete the oberservations and copy etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance. :)