PDA

View Full Version : Are any of u married and childminding together?

hannahsstar
07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I have been childmindin for 11 yrs now and my husband has just registered as a childminder with the intentions of us working together. Does anyone know how this affects tax etc, do we have to split everything and submit 2 sets of accounts or can we just submit one set of accounts???

I'm confused how we do it all :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

TheBTeam
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I do one set of accounts and divide the sums into two for us to declare for tax purposes.

When i queried with the inland revenue they said as long as we could justify how we split it then we were okay, they offered solutions of splitting the expenses to match the percentage of income we contributed, i have decided that it is too complicated as we really do share care of the children and any expenses were not easily attributable to one or the other so a 50/50 split would be the easiest to justify.

hannahsstar
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the response, do u find that in general it works well, the 2 of you working together, I don't mean on a personal level, I mean practicalities and professionalism? Hope u don't mind me asking.

TheBTeam
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the response, do u find that in general it works well, the 2 of you working together, I don't mean on a personal level, I mean practicalities and professionalism? Hope u don't mind me asking.

My husband will never be bothered about the paperwork like I am, but he does help with the meals and he is good at play, he sees childminding differently to me though and to him it is purely a means to an end job and he finds the bureaucracy around the rules etc a bit much, but I am a control freaky kind of person anyway so i dont mind doing the paperwork more! I deal more with the parental business relationship but on a friendly level he is good with the parents.

hannahsstar
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Thank you so much for your comments. You both sound so much like us!! I think that is exactly how we will be.

Thanks again x

lnmrobbo
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
my husband and I are minding together.

we have just started, i was unsure too, what to do about the tax, so i asked the tax office when i phoned them. Basically because we are doing everything together and sharing responsibilities, then they suggested registering as a business partnership, so we did, i havent had anything from them yet so im not sure what it all means!:panic:

Like The B Team, we work exactly the same! We find it very easy to work together in this way.

Lisa x

Shivvie
09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi. My husband and I work together too and are a 'partnership' for tax purposes, so split the tax 50/50.

I tend to do the planning, learning journeys etc and he does the accounts, risk assessments, safety etc part of the job. We work really well together most of the time! ;)

Feel free to ask anything else you think of :thumbsup:

hannahsstar
09-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you to you all.

It's a big step working together isn't it lol. I think I'll ring the tax office as u suggest. I think everythin else will hopefully fall into place as it happens.

Thanks again
x

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I take my hats off to everyone working with their other half.

In my DH's words "I'd rather be a dustman" :laughing: