PDA

View Full Version : Yahay The phone rang but feel arggh now

louise
07-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi. I got a call today for a school pick up 3-6 tues to fri. I have the interview on Mon. I feel worried now as it means i'll have 2 20 month olds and 2 other 5 yr olds(1 is ds) 2 days this mindee might be here. Its manic enough with 4 let alone 5. Bit worried how they will all fit but i loose one of the 20 month olds start of may which leaves me with the siblings who are term time only but will be 5 days in May. I could do with this mindee to help cover my money in summer holidays. But 5 in Aug i only had 1 and ds.

It sounds great he is the yr below my son but as my son is in the mix reception yr 1 class. He does the same topics as reception. Also other mindee is in reception but in ds class. Ds will also love to have another boy about as he is over run with girls. Its just the 5 kids that will be fun.

Also how would you mention this? Once a month we go to Messy church ds loves it. He gets to do about 5 crafts which are based on a story, do a few songs with actions and they all eat together. We don't go to church but i like ds getting to know some stories in such a fun way. I use to take other mindee but i knew his mum would be happy before i suggested it. Also the mindees that will be full time in May already go so i don't really want to stop going or get a friend to take him.

Thanks
Louise

TheBTeam
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Sorry I thought you had hurt yourself! Will re read and see what i can say more sensibly!:laughing:

louise
07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Opps just saw the typo. Thanks.

mumx3
08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I always hesitate a bit before taking another one on...in fact I am doing it right now with a new mindee starting in a couple of months.

I have come to the conclusion that this is exactly why we have trial periods. 4 weeks trial and if it doesnt work out you say goodbye and put it down to experience. I sometimes forget that the trial period is for me as well as the family!

As for the activities you are already doing, I would tell the family that you already do it, and that if they send their child he will need to come too. (and they will need to pay any subs). Remember the job is suppose to fit around your family as well as be flexible for others!

The Juggler
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I think it's best to consider long and hard before starting. meet her and mindee first. if the child is pretty calm and chilled it will probably work fine. I wasn't sure from your post how old new mindee is?

If your 5 year olds are going on 6 and this one is similar it might not be too bad. Only you can know - how are you coping now. If you cope well one more might not be too bad. How late would you have all 5 - if only until 4.30 would be not so bad but if you have all of them, need to make tea etc. might be difficult with the two really little ones.

If you have serious doubts then I wouldn't do the trial, it wouldn't really be fair on mum and the new mindee.

AliceK
08-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Well I had 5 children here on Tuesday and it was MANIC. I had 1 x 18mth old, 1 x 2yr old, 1 x 4yr old and 2 x 5yr olds. Had them all until 5pm so 9hrs. I will not be doing that again. Luckily it was a one off because of the schools being closed. I usually only have the 3 younger ones until my DS comes home from school but just having that 1 extra 5yr old made such a huge difference.

xxxxxx

caz3007
08-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I have 5 after schoolies plus my own school age son on a Friday. Its manic, loud and boistrous often, but its only for a couple of hours.

Think carefully but also consider doing it as a trial, it may not be as bad as you imagine.

As to the church thing, just make it clear to parents, that you do this, explain what it is and that all the children go and have a great time and see what they say.

louise
08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Thank you all for the replies. New mindee is 4 at the moment just started school full time. He would be 3-6pm which is what i work till at the moment. My ds is 5 and in yr 1. One mindee is 5 but reception year. Other 2 are 20 months.

I wouldn't be so hesitant if i had just one less mindee which i will in May. I know that ds will more then likely love having a boy around again. Come May i could really do with the extra money. It will only be a Thurs and Fri term time untill May i'd be manic. As i have to cook for 4.30 i normally make sure dinner has been prepeared before school or is in slow cooker.