PDA

View Full Version : Clearing my path... am I insured?

sarah707
07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Heaven Scent has been speaking to Lisa Holmes at Morton Michel who say the following...

They have spoken to the underwriters who say its up to us to decide what the best course of action is for our particular circumstances on our property.

Whether we clear and grit or leave the snow our insurance will still be valid...

BUT under no circumstances are we to touch the public foot path or any area outside our own property boundaries.

I hope this clarifies concerns for Morton Michel customers.

I understand we are still waiting for a reply from Ncma insurers... has anyone heard back from the yet? :D

Blaze
07-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks Sarah:thumbsup:

TheBTeam
07-01-2010, 06:14 PM
That is a sensible answer from morton michel, no response from NCMA yet, I have emailed but no answer, it is awkward for me to phone during the day, and i thought that an email response would be easier to record, and that they may have dealt with it by now!

Will post when they do, but good on morton michel at least!

patevans
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Heaven Scent has been speaking to Lisa Holmes at Morton Michel who say the following...

They have spoken to the underwriters who say its up to us to decide what the best course of action is for our particular circumstances on our property.

Whether we clear and grit or leave the snow our insurance will still be valid...

BUT under no circumstances are we to touch the public foot path or any area outside our own property boundaries.

I understand we are still waiting for a reply from Ncma insurers... has anyone heard back from the yet? :D

I have walk down an entry and then cross my neighbours back garden to get to mine so should I just grit my own then and not the whole walkway and entry? Think I might have to give them a call :idea:

Monkey1
07-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Thank you Sarah!

estrelas
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks Sarah

Does anyone think its a bit silly??? or is it just me?

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Sarah

I do too. Damned if you do and damned if you don't :rolleyes:

Mindees Austrian mum said out there everyone is responsible for their own path and outside their house, if you don't clear it you are in trouble!

I am waiting to find out what NCMA come up with :rolleyes:

sweets
07-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks Sarah

its good to know the facts thankyou sarah.

i also think its a bit silly tho to be thinking about insurance tho!:blush:

my path is very slippy at the mo and is getting worse. anyone if table salt works? just remembered i have a whole tube full. how much should i put down or doesnt it really help?

i am with NCMA but am going to do it anyway if it helps.

estrelas
07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I was on my way to sort mine this morning, stopped for a coffee and read some posts on here about it so didn't bother.
Then spent the day apologising for not doing it

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
its good to know the facts thankyou sarah.

i also think its a bit silly tho to be thinking about insurance tho!:blush:

my path is very slippy at the mo and is getting worse. anyone if table salt works? just remembered i have a whole tube full. how much should i put down or doesnt it really help?

i am with NCMA but am going to do it anyway if it helps.

If you clear the path with shovel first and use the salt on what's left, it works well. Melts left overs away. Good for icy paths. You can hear it crackle as it melts.

angeldelight
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Thanks Sarah and Celine

Angel xxx

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Sarah and Celine

Angel xxx

You are very welcome Angel:)

Do you know its the first time I've ever done anything like this on this forum and everyone but you thought it was Sarah - I know it is usually her with all the fab info but for the once it was me and I posted it on here

[COLOR="Blue"]Re: Risk assessment - icy conditions
[COLOR="Blue"]

Sarah put it in a new post so to high light it and noone but you noticed it was me who thought to take the time to find out and post it (for once in my life)

Now I am so upset that I cant stop :crying: :panic: :ohdear:

angeldelight
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
You are very welcome Angel:)

Do you know its the first time I've ever done anything like this on this forum and everyone but you thought it was Sarah - I know it is usually her with all the fab info but for the once it was me and I posted it on here

[COLOR="Blue"]Re: Risk assessment - icy conditions
[COLOR="Blue"]

Sarah put it in a new post so to high light it and noone but you noticed it was me who thought to take the time to find out and post it (for once in my life)

Now I am so upset that I cant stop :crying: :panic: :ohdear:

Oh I thought you said the other day that you were going to contact them so I thought it was you that had done this but Sarah had posted for you ha

Well done saved me having to do it myself so I really appreciate it

Angel xx

Winnie
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
thank you Heaven Scent and Sarah, i'm with MM and yesterday we cleared the path & put down salt (it turns out to be water softner salt in a large sack- all the hardwear shop could get). I didnt know what to do for the best but it was getting dangerious and there are a number of steep steps to my house. I will sleep easier now. :)

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Think i may invest in a bag of gritty cat litter - even if it means paying over the odds at the vets for it - we use woodbased cat litter here so no good for adding friction under foot.

wendywu
08-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I was out with my battery operated salt mill doing my front door step this evening.

I did get some funny looks though:laughing:

Shazy
08-01-2010, 12:33 AM
I got my husband to clear our path, he put down some play sand and it works a treat!

sarah707
08-01-2010, 07:46 AM

I've posted it into non-green members HS... that's why I moved the information!

So everyone can see it since it affects us all!!

And I thought it would be best in a thread of its own rather than lost at the bottom of the other one...

Since you'd gone to all the trouble of ringing, finding out and posting it's worth everyone seeing it :D

Mollymop
08-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks Sarah.
I always leave the snow on the garden path

Heaven Scent
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I've posted it into non-green members HS... that's why I moved the information!

So everyone can see it since it affects us all!!

And I thought it would be best in a thread of its own rather than lost at the bottom of the other one...

Since you'd gone to all the trouble of ringing, finding out and posting it's worth everyone seeing it :D

That fine I knew you were doing it for the better of the group and its always best to start a new thread even if this was in the open forum because i often ignore threads that have been around for a while - I should have done it really but I just didn't take time to think I just had a short window of time to make the call then post their very sensible response and came on here rather than starting a new post - I didn't even notice that it was in the Green Members area :blush: :blush:

Trouble
08-01-2010, 06:19 PM
thank you ladies my drive is clear for now but i brushed the path at the top of the drive:eek: :blush: didnt realise

it is due to snow again so it will cover:D

balloon
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Thank you Celeste and Sarah

I've left mine all week as I thought we had to leave it for insurance reasons, but will try to clear it tomorrow now.

x

Heaven Scent
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Have NCMA got back to their members yet??

Did anyone see that man on Sky news saying that if somone offers to clear their neighbours path and doesn't do it properly they could be sued - but apparently according to Pauline in another thread on here - this is an urban myth and a bit of an old Chestnut that crops up on a regular basis - Pauline is very wise about these things and I much prefer her version of events - i have to say though that I'd prefer to walk in deepish snow than on a path that has been cleared but not gritted when it freezes

TheBTeam
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM
No NCMA havent come back on their insurance yet, they said there were issues with staff shortages at the insurance co and they would let me know when they had a response.

I have been childminding for the first time since Tuesday today so actually forgot about it for a bit.

I think the whole thing is suing culture gone mad, I have still cleared and salted my path today, and the bit outside my house so that people can pull their car up to the cleared bit and then have a clear salted area to get to my front door!! Whether or not I am insured I have no idea!:rolleyes: