PDA

View Full Version : Really quick question about Risk Assessments

Cazz
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
What decides if a hazard is low, medium or high?

Is it the chances of it happening in your setting or the seriousness of the potential injury?

I.E. Electrical sockets - is it high risk as it could cause death or is it low risk as I have socket covers in place so it's unlikely to happen?

Hope that's not a silly question but I'm re-writing my RA's and want to get it right!

Thank you!!

mama2three
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
mine havent got risk levels. But the ones i used to do at work had - the risk of something happening was high if it was dangerous - such as the electric shock in your example. next box said actions to reduce risk , eg socket covers in place. next box said 'residual risk' - so it would now be low. does that help?

my ras now have the headings

what are the hazards
who could this harm and how
what is already in place
identify any further action needed
by whom
byb when
date completed

Cazz
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks - I understand what you mean from the above example but I'm filling in a pre-printed risk assessments book I purchased and haven't got space for a residual risk, so would the electrical socket example still be classed as high for my sheet?

Sorry if I'm being dipsy:blush:

Kelly
07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Unless there is a live wire, I would think it was a medium risk

beccas
07-01-2010, 03:45 PM
yes it could be if they have access to it but you limit it by plug socket covers and supervision.

Andrea08
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
the risk is before you put something in place to make it safe ie without controls,
then coltrol measures used ie the plug covers then risk rating again ,,

it is the risk of injury not the injury,,
good luck xxx

sarah707
07-01-2010, 06:06 PM
High is a risk of death...

Low is a risk of a bump or a scrape...

Everything else comes in the middle :D