PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a guilt attack...to charge or not.

SimplyLucy
07-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Like many of you our local school is closed due to snow.

Yesterday whilst out sledging, I bumped into a parent with 2 children who normally come to me before and after school everyday.

Parent explained that although she couldn't get to college or workplacement she had an assignment that she needed to finish. She asked if I'd have the children Thursday afternoon for 4 hours. I agreed.

Instantly I did that mind game with myself, do I charge for the 4 hours or take it as yesterdays and todays before and after school hours added up?

I kind of decided that I wouldn't charge. BUT.....she has dropped them off to me and when the older child started moaning the parent bleated on about them staying here so she could go to Tesco and get the shopping and wanting to meet a friend for coffee.

I'm a touch annoyed but mainly due to the frustration that I really need to go to Tesco but can't get my car out of my road. We only have 2 tiny supermarkets in our town and they are pretty much empty.:angry:

So mind games begin again.....do I charge extra for these 4 hours this afternoon????

Zoomie
07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Did parent say, can I swop the before / after hours from yesterday for 4 hours on Thurs

or

Did parent ask for you to have them for 4 hours on Thurs (no mention of a swop).

I would charge. You have things you want to do yourself but have put them aside cos you are now working ....

Alibali
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
You know the answer to this!! Extra hours, extra pay:thumbsup:

LittleMissSparkles
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I would as it sounds like she lied to you to pull at your heart strings so you would have them !

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes I would charge for the 4 extra hours x

SimplyLucy
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
She didn't mention anything about swapping.

I know I should charge.

I guess I'm just cross that she did the pulling on heart strings thing and I fell for it....when will I learn.

Just printed and invoice ready for her return, oh and she told me she was dropping off at 12.30pm and didn't arrive till nearly 1pm. Guess what.....I'm charging from 12.30pm. :eek: :clapping:

Rubybubbles
07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
She didn't mention anything about swapping.

I know I should charge.

I guess I'm just cross that she did the pulling on heart strings thing and I fell for it....when will I learn.

Just printed and invoice ready for her return, oh and she told me she was dropping off at 12.30pm and didn't arrive till nearly 1pm. Guess what.....I'm charging from 12.30pm. :eek: :clapping:

:clapping: I can hear the forum cheering for you hun lol!!! You know it's right!! Extra hours = extra pay!

wendywu
07-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I have just posted a reply on another thread about charging.

You are minding the children so they should pay for the hours.

On the Monday before christmas when the whole world slew to a halt, i had children here to 9.30. But i did not charge extra. Every one was stressed and i was glad for them to all get home safe.

But yesterday i had older children all day as the school was shut and i charged them. It was a different matter. :)

Today i only have 2 babies no one else could get here.

Nix
07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
You know the answer to this!! Extra hours, extra pay:thumbsup:

Without a doubt!

ajs
07-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Did parent say, can I swop the before / after hours from yesterday for 4 hours on Thurs

or

Did parent ask for you to have them for 4 hours on Thurs (no mention of a swop).

I would charge. You have things you want to do yourself but have put them aside cos you are now working ....

regardless of whether she asked to swap the days i don't do swaps so if they use the extra hours they pay for them, having said that i usually have this afternoon off but the mum who is so fantastic with paying me for all of my holidays, bank holidays and sick days asked me if i would have them until 3.30. she will be expecting to pay but i won't charge her, i think it's fair as she does so much for me.

newandlearning
07-01-2010, 06:29 PM
when I first started childminding I was really soft with this kinda stuff and would swap hours.. I'm not sure it was really appreciated...

so now if I have a child on one day of snow for more of his alloted hours I charge the extra hours.. and if they can't get to me or don't want to I charge
for the contracted hours...

there are so many occasions I'm not paid like on bank hols, xmas, when I'm sick, my kids are sick.. kids have hospital appts etc.. that this is the one occasion I can feel a bit more financially valued.

I hope that helps.. I know its sometimes tough xx:)