PDA

View Full Version : Getting through the snow - tips needed

singlewiththree
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Tomorrow I have just found out I am working and the schools are open. Therefore in 6 inches of snow that is still on the pavement I have to walk 30minutes to school in temps that are currently -11.

I will have
10mth old (the one that turned blue on Monday)
20mth old
3yr old
4yr old
4yr old
8yr old

one too many for the car but I can't get off the drive anyway. Any tips? I was tempted if the 20mth old doesn't come to strap 10mth old to me and walk everyone else but I'm worried for her safety if I fall.

I have considered trying to get the car off the drive today and asking my neighbour to watch my 3yr old but I think that will be too dangerous too.

I can't put them on a sledge as they are too young and also the sledges are tipping up where the snow is so uneven.

I'm really stuck so any ideas appreciated.

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Crikey! It's hard isn't it? Have you got your own children to take to school?
If it were me I would either cancel the children til after the school run so you can walk your own kids to school and the 8 year old or cancel the kiddies for the day or not take your own children to school and cancel the before and after schoolers.
I know it's not much help but what else can you do, it is difficult isnt it. I had this problem last winter and I let my 2 have the day off school as it was so bad getting out and about anywhere - the school authorised it x

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 12:58 PM
sorry I just re-read your post.
I wuld be tempted to cancel the before and after school children for the day and stay at home with the little ones and your own 3 year old x

singlewiththree
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
The 3,4,8 are mine and I wasn't going to take them tomorrow even if the school was open but now mindee is coming who needs to go its proving a problem. I've just tried to get the car off the drive, its frozen inside as well as out and I'm sliding everywhere but its very very cold out there. The only option I can see is to leave DD with a neighbour and drive everyone but if I can't get the car off the drive that is near impossible. I think I might txt the parents and just say what do they prefer as its they are the only mindees I will have and its their baby who gets cold.

Rubybubbles
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
:( NOt fun is it! Our school has been open, which has meant a 50 mins walk across the short cut fiel (which we shouldn't use!!) pushing the pushchair in the snow:panic: I will not drive either!

School phoned to say it's closing at 1pm (well texted!! lol I found out at 11am by the gossip vine and got the text at 12 30:panic: which is rubbish) So I phoned all my parents straight away who have all said they will get there children from school. And as luck has it hubby off today so he has left me with the 3 little ones and gone to get my own 2 children:clapping: phew for that as I have a 14 month old 2 yr old and a 3 yr old who was blue this morning, but what can you do:panic: ( I get the 2 yr old at 9 after I drop off mindie twins at school, so I would be over my numbers if I had to collect!! But I am taking this as an emergancy anyway)

Anyway back to my nice warm house lol

gigglinggoblin
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I wouldnt do it. What harm will come if you say you are not going to school? I cant justify the risk with my own children so mindees are no different. Can you offer to care for mindee all day and stay in house?

mumx3
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Nope I wouldnt do it. I kept my kids off on Weds when school was officially open...until they closed mid morning anway. I had one mindee whos parents wanted him to go to school all others cancelled too. I made the decision to do it, as it was too dangerous. I have refunded them....effectively I was unavailable for work. I have an 18 month old and a 5 year old with a heart murmur who goes blue if too cold...not risking it.

Luckily school has closed for rest of week.

Curly Quavers
07-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't do it either.

Our Schools are closed until Monday and I see Diggers and Trucks out today moving all the snow from the pavements - so fingers crossed things will be better by then.

Daisy1956
07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Lucky you. Our council haven't touched the side roads or footpaths in my are . Didn't do it at Christmas and obviously aren't going to do anything about it this time. Didnt empty bins for three weeks and if you rang to complain just passed you onto the complaints dept. said it was too dangerous on the untreated roads:angry: and whose job is it to treat the roads ?

twiggy
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Our snow turned to hazardous ice on the pavements today. I kept my daughter off school and cancelled my before and after school child so I did not have to risk trying to get to school. It was too much of a risk with children in pushchairs and younger children walking. I also had to consider myself falling and being off work unpaid for weeks.

miffy
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
The 3,4,8 are mine and I wasn't going to take them tomorrow even if the school was open but now mindee is coming who needs to go its proving a problem. I've just tried to get the car off the drive, its frozen inside as well as out and I'm sliding everywhere but its very very cold out there. The only option I can see is to leave DD with a neighbour and drive everyone but if I can't get the car off the drive that is near impossible. I think I might txt the parents and just say what do they prefer as its they are the only mindees I will have and its their baby who gets cold.

I wouldn't do it either - I'd tell the parents your own children won't be going to school and ask if they want their lo to stay with you all day but if they want him to go to school they will have to get him there and pick him up.

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Sorted it!

I've managed to get the car off the drive using cardboard and old carpet ;) and went for a spin literally around the block to see how bad the roads were. The ones on the estate are bad but once I'm off it which isn't too far from the house the roads are fine. I did the main road way to school and back and it was clear.

I then swallowed my pride and txt my ex husband asking if I can borrow the 7 seater for which he has replied yes!!!! I double checked with the insurance company that all was well and txt the parents and they are pleased the kids aren't going to be out in the cold so all is well! ex coming round tonight with the 7 seater, I've driven it before so am pretty confident in it. I will then keep it until tomorrow when the girls go to their dad's for the weekend. He has even said I can have it when I have the girls and he will have it when he has it (he owns a car garage so has plenty of cars) which will see me through to the better weather when we can walk all the time.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
If you feel that it is too dangerous I would offer the parents an option or 2:

1. They can do the school runs

2. You are willing to have them at your house and the children miss school

lissy
07-01-2010, 05:09 PM
i too have this problem as i have my own 2 (5 and 7) and 2 mindees (9mths and 4). mindees mum is deputy head at school they all go to so if she brings them to me and the school is open i am expected to get them there!! Its normally a 35 - 40 min walk so im guessing with pushchair in the snow (had no practice at that) its gonna take a lot longer. If my other mindee turns up at 7am tomorrow i will have 5 kids to walk to school!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

newandlearning
07-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't do it either unless tomorrow morn its melted a bit which is probably unlikely... I have had to abandon my car down my road as the first night it snowed (tues for us) I started slipped backwards.. I couldn't help shaking and would hate for something to happen.
If you really think tomorrow morn driving is ok go for it.. if not I'd stay at home with the mindee and your own kiddiwinkles...
around my way all schools are closed and we don't sound quite so back as some areas.. odd ay..:)

Chimps Childminding
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
i too have this problem as i have my own 2 (5 and 7) and 2 mindees (9mths and 4). mindees mum is deputy head at school they all go to so if she brings them to me and the school is open i am expected to get them there!! Its normally a 35 - 40 min walk so im guessing with pushchair in the snow (had no practice at that) its gonna take a lot longer. If my other mindee turns up at 7am tomorrow i will have 5 kids to walk to school!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

couldn't you get the mindees mum who is deputy head take your to school with her while the weather is bad?

The Juggler
07-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't have the car option I would stay at home and offer to have the kids with me.