PDA

View Full Version : would you charge?

sunflower
06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi I had an extra 2 kiddies today as school closed at 2pm
would you charge?
I ask another minding friend and she said shes not going to as its not the parents fault it snowed

Blackhorse
06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
is it for the hour difference?

sunflower
06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
2 hours as i collected at 1.15pm when i dropped another child off to preschool at same school. :)

polly0
06-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Its not your fault it snowed either!!!

My school finished for christmas at 1.30pm, i charged

Pipsqueak
06-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Ditto what Polly said - not your fault it snowed.
Any other childcare provision would charge - fault/cause is not the concern here - you working to earn a living is.

sophiestars
06-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I would charge, at the end of the day it's not your fault it snowed either and the parents are lucky you would take them for the extra time, otherwise it would mean them coming out of work to pick them up.
You worked the extra hours so you should be paid for them.

Blackhorse
06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I voted no as I think it depends what kind of relationship you have with the parents.

All my parents would offer to pay me straight away but I had children for an additional hour on the very odd occasion and havent charged them for it. Like if they were stuck in traffic or when the school finished early before xmas.
I do charge them for planned full days though if that is what they request...

anyhow...they appreciate that and when I was 3 days ill they didnt ask me to pay the money back either....
so at the moment this arrangement suites everyone.

If my circumstances were different I might have also voted YES

tashaleee
06-01-2010, 10:01 PM
If the parents asked me to collect then yes I would charge - you didnt plan to have the children and you are running a business :thumbsup:

Mouse
06-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree with Nicole. It would depend on the parents.

If I had to have the children for a whole day because the school was shut I would charge, but if I just had to collect them a bit early I probably wouldn't.
My current parents are all lovely, I know they would appreciate me collecting the children and I know they would offer to pay. I also know that if I didn't charge, they'd more than likely bring me some chocolates or flowers as a thank you :thumbsup:

LeanneC
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I am charging

I had a parent text me saying she is dropping child off at 9am I was eating my breakfast and moblie was upstairs so left a voicemail then a call ( I was in shower as no children due to arrive) she asked dh what the roads where like by us as she was dropping child off and on way now!!

Im charging a full days fee as i would have only had him for after school normally.

I was a bit cross this morning though as she presumed that I would have child, and didnt even check with me first but gave me 10 mins notice!!

The Juggler
07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
I would charge, at the end of the day it's not your fault it snowed either and the parents are lucky you would take them for the extra time, otherwise it would mean them coming out of work to pick them up.
You worked the extra hours so you should be paid for them.

if you couldn't have had them, she probably would have paid someone else. If it were a regular parent that I had good relationship with I wouldn't charge in emergency like this unless over a couple of hours but if it's a favour for someone who is not a regular and not a friend, I think I would.

The Juggler
07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I am charging

I had a parent text me saying she is dropping child off at 9am I was eating my breakfast and moblie was upstairs so left a voicemail then a call ( I was in shower as no children due to arrive) she asked dh what the roads where like by us as she was dropping child off and on way now!!

Im charging a full days fee as i would have only had him for after school normally.

I was a bit cross this morning though as she presumed that I would have child, and didnt even check with me first but gave me 10 mins notice!!

that is outrageous. to expect you to have a schoolie all day without even checkign with you first. I did this yesterday for a mum but she was asking 'are you sure' 'is it too many big ones' and was really lovely but to not even ask is outrageous:angry:

RedDragon
07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Depends on the way the parents pay me in other circumstances.

I have 1 set of parents who are very good at picking up the children early and still paying me, 1 parent who takes the money off when I couldn't work because I had had very bad news and couldn't work.

Andrea08
07-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I charge a session/flat rate not by the Hr, so it wouldn't effect me but if you charge by the hr and you work it then you have to charge,,we are not babysitters its our job, if you had to do a few hrs overtime working in tesco because of the snow some one couldn't get to work would you do it for free???

good luck hun x

loocyloo
07-01-2010, 08:45 AM
that is outrageous. to expect you to have a schoolie all day without even checkign with you first. I did this yesterday for a mum but she was asking 'are you sure' 'is it too many big ones' and was really lovely but to not even ask is outrageous:angry:

i had a mum say last night '' i'll drop X off at 8 as usual '' and was most put out when i said i couldn't have X as child is not contracted for a thursday!

Twinkle
07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I voted no for the extra couple of hours.

All of my parents are lovely and have/will offer to pay. They have all paid me when I took unpaid leave for my father's funeral and on the rare occasions I am sick.

The only one I will be charging is the parent who made no attempt to leave work early when everyone else had been told to leave due to the weather and then rang me at 4:30 saying "looks like you'll be having lo overnight because I'm stranded". If she had asked me to have him, I would have. To tell me I'm having him is a big mistake lol. Needless to say she did pick him up, in her partners 4X4 afters having first dropped off two other people who were stranded, at 7:30pm.

I most probably sound like a right grouch - but I hate being taken for granted :angry:

miffy
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I would charge - it wouldn't be fair on those parents who are paying for full day care otherwise.

Miffy xx

tigger
07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I would charge as they are using your services aren't they? It's not their fault it snowed and it's not yours. If you couldn't have had them they would have had to make alternative arrangements and probably would have had to pay someone else.

HELEN10
07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Definitely, charge!! Would the plumber etc charge you for and extra hour and a half's work?

HELEN10

cabby
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
i would and have charged, at the end of the day ive worked the extrs hours so expect to be paid for them:)

TheBTeam
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I would not charge for picking up an extra hour early, but am attempting to charge for the full days where i have had school age children all day, think the parents think i wont charge, because of the snow i have not had them the rest of the week, i really want to charge them for the full day, but have a feeling i will end up not!

Curly Quavers
07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Its not your fault it snowed either!!!

My school finished for christmas at 1.30pm, i charged

I agree 100% it not your fault either if they don't want yo pay you then they should come home from work to care for their own children.

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I would definately charge - why should you do it for free?

I sound hard here but all my minded children would be picked up from school by their parents if the school closed - I wouldn't do it as I am contracted to have them before and after school only and wouldn't want the hassle (hard cow sometimes)

Last year when we had really heavy snow in Feb the school didn't open so parents came to collect their kids from me and took them home with them

Rubybubbles
07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes I would charge:)

I should have 3 afterschoolies today, but school has closed at 1pm I phoned all parents to let them know and ask if they wanted me to collect them, they said no, they would collect them(think all glad to get away from work lol) I would have charged from 1pm! As it is my hubby is off work today so he could go and collect my own 2 children and I could stay in the warmth with my little mindies:clapping:

They will still get charge for the afterschool session not used also as I was avaible for them:)

Alibali
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
As a one off I wouldn't, but I would let them all know it was just that once and if it happens again will charge, that gives them the option of arranging something else.

wendywu
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I would not charge for picking up an extra hour early, but am attempting to charge for the full days where i have had school age children all day, think the parents think i wont charge, because of the snow i have not had them the rest of the week, i really want to charge them for the full day, but have a feeling i will end up not!

You are silly if you dont charge as you will set a precedent and they will expect to chop and change as they like, just so long as i all adds up to the same total in hours.

I do not charge if theyare late to collect when traffic is bad or we have bad weather. But like yesterday when i had older children all day i did charge.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I have voted yes because I read it that they were "extra" children and I took that to be not normal contracted children.

Some parents go out of their way for me and in certain circumstances I would not charge but others are strictly business so I would charge.

The parents must expect to pay or they would finish work early and come to collect themselves.

ChocolateChip
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Yep, our school has only opened one day this week (Monday non pupil day, open Tues, now closed all week for snow!), and I have had one girl for most of the week. I will do mum a deal as I am a bit soft and she was paying me extra anyway as she has started a new job with longer hours but I'm not doing it for nothing.
Last year I also charged one parent an extra 3 hrs as they closed for a burst pipe, at the end of the day we are providing a service so why not charge for it, any other business would!
It's not the parents fault, but it's not ours either, none of us really do it for the money so the occasional extra is definitely not to be passed up in my opinion. ;)

Daisy1956
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I agree it depends on the parents but usually for an extra hour i wouldn't charge but i do charge extra if it is all day. Our schools have been closed since Tuesday they MAY re-open tomorrow but i don't think so. most of my parents are so grateful that i can have the children they would pay anything i wanted, but i don't have other children using my daytime places so i do understand that other minders are in a different situation.

sunflower
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your replys :)

Intresting to see your comments

Im going to charge.

After all I am running a business and if i were out at work i would expect to be paid or have hours in loe

If ever i have time off for any reason i alway knock off next bill, sometimes one will say "oh you shouldnt of done that"....but...they dont put their hand in their pocket and give it back to me :laughing:

louloudi
08-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I would charge.

Had two children all day Wed due to snow and put them on my out of contracted hours rate too.

We are providing a service that costs, were not a charity or in receipt of funding for places (not a school)

LittleMissSparkles
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
It's not our fault either is it ???? I am charging extra for our school closing today early x

LittleMissSparkles
08-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I am charging

I would have said sorry I have plans till i start work at school pick up time.............. bye

The Juggler
08-01-2010, 01:45 PM

you should - it's hard work having big ones around all day.

wendywu
08-01-2010, 01:52 PM
If you could not work because you had no gas or electric due to the weather, they would not still pay you or offer to pay half.:panic:

nemo97
08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I would not charge for picking them up early from school.
I think it seems unfair when parents still pay the full amount
for the times when they pick up early or their kids go to a party straight from school.
The parents that I have at the minute are brilliant and I think it would
be unfair to charge them.
If they wanted be to look after them for the full day then obviously
I would charge them for the full day.
I've not worked since tuesday but parents have already said that they
will pay me monday when hopefully things get back to normal. :clapping: