PDA

View Full Version : Confusion!

Nat78
06-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I had an assistant registered with me, who has now let me down just as I started getting enquiries. I have a new assistant going through the CRB process but was wondering if I can employ them and increase numbers to what says on certificate when working with an assistant or do I have to wait for CRB checks to be returned? I obviously would supervise them at all times until checks are complete, first aid in place I think they are suitable to be left and with permission.
From ofsted phone call I got told I can increase numbers as long as EY2 is submitted and supervised at all times before CRB is returned. Asked for email confirmation was told to email them with request as outlined in call and I would recieve email confirming what we had discussed.
Emailed them and response was I couldn't until they deem suitability, total opposite of phone call

Was wondering if anyone had experience of this? Can I increase numbers before checks complete (already have assistant numbers on certificate, just now different assistant) or do I have to wait until CRB is back?

Hope all that made sense

Thanks

Pauline
17-01-2010, 09:43 PM
As the email is the only thing you have as evidence of what they said (and they have it as what they told you) you had better go with that. Or, email again and explain that you were told differently on the phone and can they confirm. :)

tashaleee
17-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I thought you had to have a clear CRB returned before you can have any assistant working for you (whether paid or family helping you out).

You would have to have it in writing from Ofsted before they can work for you as an assistant so you would have to email them to say you have been told one thing over the phone and another in writing (though am pretty sure, sorry, but the person who told you on the phone it would be ok was wrong)

Chatterbox Childcare
17-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I thought a person was only an assistant once cleared by Ofsted. In my opinion you have to wait until you get their letter through.

Also note that without the letter of acceptability from Ofsted you do not have insurance cover