PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Work 8-7 (or similar)?

helenlc
06-01-2010, 03:18 PM
I have a lady coming tonight who wants care for a 22 mth old Mon-Fri 8am - 7pm. I currently have one LO Mon-Thur 8-6 so dont think its going to be that different.

If it comes off it means I will have 2 LOs on Mon Tues Thur and Fri and 3 LOs on Weds.

But I just wondered how other people find it?

miffy
06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Sorry, can't help on the hours thing - longer than I work atm.

Just wondered though if you're going to charge a higher rate for the 6 - 7pm bit as it's outside a "normal" working day?

Miffy xx

terrydoo73
06-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Very tiring and stressful! I work 3 days a week with twins aged 21 months 8 am to 6 pm. On those days I get nothing done in the house apart from looking after them - I do have 2 others 1 aged 2 1/2 years and the other 4 who is at nursery most mornings.

I do not think I would agree to another long contract like this but then I have always been used to working up to 50 hours and more a week. I am now getting to the stage where I would like 3 little ones say 8 am to 2 pm every day just to give me some family time too. My little girl is 8 and she is complaining that she cannot watch her own programmes on tv or bring out a game to play as they are in the middle of it. We do have a sitting room but that is not the same because there are always cots or something up in them. I am finding it stressful at homework and meal times too.

Hope you think seriously about what it will mean to you and if you are happy enough will proceed with the contract.

PixiePetal
06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
When DS was little I minded a girl (18m) from 8 - 6.30, sometimes overnight if mum - who a year or so into contract became a single parent had a late meeting and was going to be later than 7pm. I just settled her into the cot and carried on the next day. This was before Ofsted.

It worked ok then as she was treated like one of my own - she was an only child herself and liked the company. I did not have any other mindees at the time so wasn't running myself ragged and there was hardly any paperwork to keep up on :rolleyes:

Things were way less complicated in those days!

If you do it I would charge a bit more for out of hours time (my basic day now is 8 - 5.30 and I have higher rate outside those hours)

helenlc
06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I do charge a little more for after 6pm.

If I didnt already have the other LO 8-6 I probably wouldnt consider it. But its only an extra hour a day to what I am already doing.

TBH I need the money and am not sure whether anything else will come my way as although I have had a few enquiries over the last few months, only yesterdays one came off and thats only for 2 days.

miffy
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I think you're right to charge a bit more for that hour - you'll only be working for one child after all and I don't think there will be many childminders who'd want those hours so hopefully, you won't have much trouble getting the extra.

Good luck - hope it works out for you.

Miffy xx

Tatjana
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I never wanted to work the hours i've recently taken on, 8-6.30pm, but as i'm pregnant I just needed to earn as much as possible for now, this is what turned up so I took it!

My other mindee leaves at 6pm and tbh the next half hour seems soooo much longer than just a half hour.

Take it on and see how you go. Good luck!

xx

angeldelight
06-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I never wanted to work the hours i've recently taken on, 8-6.30pm, but as i'm pregnant I just needed to earn as much as possible for now, this is what turned up so I took it!

My other mindee leaves at 6pm and tbh the next half hour seems soooo much longer than just a half hour.

Take it on and see how you go. Good luck!

xx

Yep same here just not the pregnant bit :laughing: :laughing:

I know what you mean that half an hour really drags for me

I have worked till 7 and started at 6 in the past - never again though

I always charge more for any time after 6 and before 8 in the mornings

Good luck Helen hope you get the job

Angel xx

childminder54
06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
hi ive got 2 children to day from 3-10.30 pm..

I started today at 7 am in the morning ive got the boys back at my house at 7 am in the morning and they donot live local about 30-45min away..

veronicax

Bananabrain
06-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Regularly do 7-7.
Having said that at the mo I don't work Fridays.
By the time I get to Friday,i'm shattered!
The way I see it is at the moment times are 'ard and I'll do what I have to do.
But as my husband always says:'you haven't sold your soul' i.e.you can always give notice if it's not working.
Sending hugs and prayers to you Helen. Reckon you could do with a break!

Chimps Childminding
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I know its only an extra hour each day, but it is also an extra day with the long hours. If you need the money and think you can manage, then go for it! Personally I must be getting old cause 5.30 - 6.00 is plenty late enough for me!

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

butterfly
06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
i work 7-6 most days and have just agreed to work 7-7 on thurs and probably one other day. it's hard work and i' knackere but times are hard and i'm going to stock pile some of the money for a rainy day!

i hope it goes ok for you!

TheBTeam
06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
The extra hour after 6pm will probably drag a bit (i usually find), make sure you charge enough for it that you wont feel resentful for doing it, and as others have said if you need the money, then that is a good motivation and if you find you cant handle it you can always give notice if it turns out to be too much. A lot of whether that happens really will depend on what the child is like, if they are happy to sit and look at a book or the tv as such while you can maybe prepare tea for your family or for mindee as well then it may work out just fine. One thing i would make clear to parents is that it will be a quieter time, no busy craft activities and all but a minimal toys would be cleared away.

suzyblue
06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
I work 7.50 - 6 five days a week and dont like to do later (have in the past) as it interferes with home life (dinner, catching the shops before they close, going out generally, helping daughter with homework etc)
If you need to fill the space however you should take it, think of the money you'll save cos you'll be too knackered to spend it :laughing:
Good luck!!!

helenlc
06-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Thank you for your views.

I think I will take it on and see how it goes in the settling in period. If the hours prove too much then, then I shall give notice.

I know it will also depend on the child - one LO I have now is quite happy to poodle about while I get dinner ready but if this other child needs lots of attention then it will be harder.

Mum is still planning on coming tonight - despite the bad weather!:eek: But as she needs care to start next week or the week after, she doesnt really have much time to re-schedule!!!

helenlc
06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, they have been and gone.

All went well. LO was adorable. She has something called Williams Syndrome which means, amongst other things, that she has delay with her walking and speech. She is also not eating solids so has prescribed meal replacement milk.

All was fine and positive except for the money side. Their previous CM charged a lot less than me - not sure where they were before so it could be that they lived somewhere where the rate is a lot cheaper. Anyway, I said I would charge slightly less than my normal hourly rate as they would be providing her milk and I wouldnt need to pay out for food for her at all.

But it still comes in at £50 more per week than they are currently paying. They are getting help at the moment from tax credits but that was calculated on the last year earnings which was when she was on maternity leave. So she doesnt think they will get help again from April.

I said I would contact her tomorrow with my final figure I had worked out and take it from there. They want care to start from next Monday - so they need to make a decision pretty quick!

I want to take it on but dont want to be out of pocket either.

Opinions please ladies and gents.........................

Bananabrain
06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Reckon you have to do what's best for YOU and not the parents and other families.
If only I could listen to my own advice:laughing:
Hope it works out for you.

TheBTeam
06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I think it comes to if you can manage the child and need the money, then give it a go, i would not drop on my hourly rate more than the amount for food, harsh as it is you charge what you need to charge to make a living and it is a lot of work, if they don't qualify for tax credit help then they must earn a reasonable amount and have they haven't really given themselves very long to shop around if the few pence an hour really is important to them.

You will resent the work if you feel undercut.

helenlc
06-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I've decided I am going to stick with what I offered - which is the £50 more than they are currently paying.

My rate is average for this area so I cant see them getting anyone cheaper and especially not for those hours.

I would end up resenting it if I went any lower - its a lot of hours.

Also, as someone else said, if they are dont qualify for tax credits, then they are obviously earning a decent amount between them.

I will keep you posted.

margimum
06-01-2010, 09:47 PM
It beggars belief sometimes when I see parents paying out £80 for a hairdo or £30 on nails every couple of weeks, but seem to quibble at paying a professional carer a reasonable amount to take wonderful care of their precious child!!
Stick to your usual fee Helen, you know you're worth it!!
Pay peanuts................Get monkeys (not you Monkey:blush: :blush: )

miffy
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I've decided I am going to stick with what I offered - which is the £50 more than they are currently paying.

My rate is average for this area so I cant see them getting anyone cheaper and especially not for those hours.

I would end up resenting it if I went any lower - its a lot of hours.

Also, as someone else said, if they are dont qualify for tax credits, then they are obviously earning a decent amount between them.

I will keep you posted.

Stick with your pricing Helen - £50 a week is a lot to lose especially with the long hours they want.

Good luck

Miffy xx

miffy
06-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Pay peanuts................Get monkeys (not you Monkey:blush: :blush: )
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Miffy xx

helenlc
07-01-2010, 08:02 AM
It beggars belief sometimes when I see parents paying out £80 for a hairdo or £30 on nails every couple of weeks, but seem to quibble at paying a professional carer a reasonable amount to take wonderful care of their precious child!!

I know!! This is why I am not dropping my money any more than I have already. Why should I be out of pocket? I am trying to make a living after all.

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 08:07 AM
sorry I haven't read the replies -

I used to work til 6.30 and most days start at 7am (I still start at 7am) - working late wasn't that bad but I wouldn't have wanted to do it everyday cos I was knackered by the time the child had gone home.

Good luck x

The Juggler
07-01-2010, 08:19 AM
sorry I haven't read the replies -

I used to work til 6.30 and most days start at 7am (I still start at 7am) - working late wasn't that bad but I wouldn't have wanted to do it everyday cos I was knackered by the time the child had gone home.

Good luck x

you are all so hardworking. I'm struggling with starting at 7.30 again after 0800 for 2 years. Also going from 6pm finish 5 nights a week to only twice now is so lovely. It makes such a difference.

However, Helen when I've done 6.45 starts in the past or worked past 7 I've done it for short periods cos I need the money and you do what you have to and I've always made sure I charge the extra for the unsocial hours. You are right to stick to your guns, hon. Good for you.

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I've done it now and again and I charge an increased rate after 6 and before 8 its only fair I feel to be rewarded for anti-social hours.

Andrea08
07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I know its only an extra hour each day, but it is also an extra day with the long hours. If you need the money and think you can manage, then go for it! Personally I must be getting old cause 5.30 - 6.00 is plenty late enough for me!

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

dito,, ive not worked past 5pm for ages now and the thought of working till 7 makes me shudder...

it also depends on the child an easy happy child that fits in well with ya family is gr8 but a difficult child or a parent your not keen on can make life very hard as you know so the extra hr could feel like all night and make you sad for the following morning,,

good luck give it a longer settle-in period and say your not sure how it will work out with family time etc then if you need to cut the hrs or let them go you have given enough notice

good luck

Helen Dempster
07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi. My contracted hours are from 7.30am-7pm, but the parents usually come at about 8am and pick up about 6.30pm. I wouldn't work any later than 7pm or any earlier than 7.30am. I had an enquiry recently for a lady who wanted me to work til 8pm and I had to say no. I've got my own lo who goes to bed at 7.30pm so that's more important to me. I find the days go really quickly though (if that helps!) :D