PDA

View Full Version : Leaving an assistant with children

Mouse
06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but I can't find a definnite answer.

If you have a registered assistant, can you leave children with them for a short period of time while you go on the school run?

I thought you couldn't unless they had a Paediatric First Aid certificate, but a cm friend of mine told me that she often leaves the younger children at home with her husband (registered assistant) when she goes to collect the older ones from school. She's in the process of taking on another assistant & is planning to leave the little ones with her while she goes on the school run. She's had her numbers increased, so will have 6 little ones to leave with the assistant. Actually that's another question that's just occured to me - if you have your numbers increased when working with an assistant, can you leave them all with that assistant?

She says she thought she had read or been told that it was OK to leave the little ones with an assistant for very short periods of time. She has just had Ofsted visit in connection with having her numbers increased & is sure she mentioned to the inspector that she would be leaving the children.

carebear25
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Im sure they have 2 have the 1st Aid before u can leave them and it has 2 b agreed with parents and I also think Ofsted state on ur cert but im sure sum1 else wit more experience than me wil cum along an comment :)

suzyblue
06-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Your assistant needs to be CRB checked and have a first aid certificate, then with parents written permission you can leave some children with your assistant (for short periods of time) but no more than 3 under 5s.

sarah707
06-01-2010, 05:49 PM
The assistants leaflet is in free downloads at the top of the forum.

The requirements for the 2 registers are stated clearly.

As well as permission from parents you must have permission from Ofsted.

Hth :D

Mouse
06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
The assistants leaflet is in free downloads at the top of the forum.

The requirements for the 2 registers are stated clearly.

As well as permission from parents you must have permission from Ofsted.

Hth :D

Sarah, I have read that so many times I almost know it off by heart!

But, I read it that assistants have to have First Aid cert to be left alone with the children, whereas friend cm reads it that she's OK to leave EYFS children with an assistant with no First Aid as long as it's for a short time eg. school run.

I was interested to know how everyone else interpretted it.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
There has to be a person on the premises with a first aid certificate so if you friend leaves the house then the assistant has to have it.

Also required:

CRB check
Employers Liability Insurance
Ofsted written permission and on certificate
Parental written permission

If numbers go up to 6 then the certificate will say "may have no more than 3 under 5 unless an assistant is present when the numbers can be 6 under 5". This clearly states that 2 people have to be looking after the children.

I believe that your fellow childminder is in breach of the Childcare Act which guides Ofsted and will be liable for a reduction in numbers and prosecution if she is found to be doing it.

I would urge her to make sure she has all of the above in place and then call Ofsted to make sure she is doing it right.

madasahatter
06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I thought it also had to be stated on your certificate that the assistant could be left with children for short periods with parental permission.

Mrs.L.C
06-01-2010, 07:26 PM
you need parental consent and the assistant needs to have an upto date first aid certificate. I have had to just stop my husband doing the school run on his own as the first aid he had done was over 3 years ago and cant get him on a course until June :(

Everything else you have to go by when you have an assistant is on the certificate so going by ours they would only be able to have max of 3 in the early years groups on their own

Mouse
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for your replies.

This cm says that on her certificate it says that children can be left with her assistant for a short period of time as long as she has written permission from parents and that the requirements of the EYFS register are met.

My understanding is that a requirement is that there must always be a registered first aider there with the children.

Her understanding is that on her inspection report it says something along the lines of 'does the person meet all the requirements of the EYFS register' and the answer is YES, so all the requirements are met.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for your replies.

This cm says that on her certificate it says that children can be left with her assistant for a short period of time as long as she has written permission from parents and that the requirements of the EYFS register are met.

My understanding is that a requirement is that there must always be a registered first aider there with the children.

Her understanding is that on her inspection report it says something along the lines of 'does the person meet all the requirements of the EYFS register' and the answer is YES, so all the requirements are met.

This relates to the registered childminder and not the assistant

OrlandoBelle
10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Another question I have relating to this; My husband is registered as my assistant but does not have his first aid course until 1st Feb. After this time, when he has his first aid certificate and permission from parents and Ofsted, will he be allowed to collect a mindee from her home (a 5 min journey each way) whilst I stay at home with the other minded children (a total of 5 in the EYFS), or would he have to take 2 children with him?

I am registered to care for 3 children in the EYFS, but 6 when he is working with me. Is he still classed as working with me if he is not actually on the premises whilst collecting the child?

Mrs.L.C
11-01-2010, 08:17 AM
I would just ask Ofsted as it is only for a short time so they may say its ok with parents consent but I would assume he would have to take 2. Also he will need to have business use on the car insurance to use the car

Pauline
11-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Another question I have relating to this; My husband is registered as my assistant but does not have his first aid course until 1st Feb. After this time, when he has his first aid certificate and permission from parents and Ofsted, will he be allowed to collect a mindee from her home (a 5 min journey each way) whilst I stay at home with the other minded children (a total of 5 in the EYFS), or would he have to take 2 children with him?

I am registered to care for 3 children in the EYFS, but 6 when he is working with me. Is he still classed as working with me if he is not actually on the premises whilst collecting the child?

Yes he would have to take 2 with him as on your own you are only permitted to care for 3 children. :)

Also, for children outside EYFS (those on the Childcare Register) your assistant will not be allowed to care for these children alone at home, unless you have it written on your certificate.

OrlandoBelle
11-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Thank you! xx:)