PDA

View Full Version : To pick up or not?

tigger
06-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I collect a lo in the mornings and as the roads are dangerous ie. unable to move car without getting stuck and with the weather as it is and forecasts for more bad weather I don't feel comfortable about going out tomorrow morning to collect the lo. Do you think I would be wrong to phone the parents and say that due to the weather I will not be having lo as it is too dangerous? I have no intention of charging them and will tell them this but what do you think.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
If you do not feel comfortable doing this then I am sure they will understand and if not they could drop off and collect

Pudding Girl
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I think you are acting responsibly. I do a drop off for one child but if the weather is bad they';d need to collect.

Last night we attempted going home walking/part bus journey and it didn't arrive so we walked back to my house and parents had to make arrangements to collect themselves.

Cazz
06-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I think it's being sensible.

I wouldn't put my own children at risk in a car unless absolutely necessary - someone else's child would be even more of a worry. I'm sure the parents will understand this and hopefully appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Tink
06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I think that would be the best thing. If your not comfortable fetching the Lo then you certainly wont be once you have picked up.

Hope you have a nice day x

mumx3
06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I put this together last weekend after seeing the forecast. I pick up from 3 families and was prepared to put kids at risk...of loose money becasue of doing parents the favour of collecting their children. I sent it as an email attatchment. Feel free to copy and paste bit of it if anyone wants to.

"Snow Arrangements

Just before Christmas when we had the unexpected snow arrive along with thick sheets of ice on the road that hung around for days there were some difficulties getting to some families, in order to collect children. I even managed to crash my car on the way to collect a child (luckily no one was hurt) and the car is ok, but it just made it clear to me that a plan of action is required.

Collection from Home
I am currently picking up most of the children in the morning, and in some cases dropping children home as well. I am happy to continue to do so whenever I am able to. However there may be occasions when this is not possible or is unsafe. This may be due to snow or ice which means I cannot use the car safely; or on days when schools are closed due to the snow and therefore I have no need to leave the house and take all the children out in the cold weather. In this situation parents will need to make arrangements to bring their child to me and collect them again at the end of their session. Collecting from home is something I do voluntarily as part of providing an inclusive service, but does not form part of the contract. Therefore full fees still apply if you choose not to bring your child to me.

School Closures
In situations where school is closed unexpectedly either in advance or suddenly during the day, I am happy to provide care for your child, as long as the Ofsted ratio’s according to my certificate can be adhered to still. In this case fees for the additional hours will be charged and should be paid in cash on collection, according to my fees policy.

If you have any queries regarding these arrangements please get in touch, and I will be happy to discuss them with you."

I had to do this as I have had parents trying to get out of paying me if I cant collect. I collect for free and to help them out...but obviously they dont see it like that.

The only family I have had to refund was a child who I provide a taxi service to because mum is ill. I cannot take them to school in the snow if driving is dangerous...therefore I refund them.

This morning my kids school was the only school in the whole town which stayed open. I decided not to take them...all mindees had cancelled accept the mindee I do the taxi service for. I told mum I wasnt taking my kids to school and would refund her....she never replied! Obviously not impressed with me! As it happens the silly school closed at 10am anyway....I knew they would!

gigglinggoblin
06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I have done this today. Mindee came a few hours early as mum could drop here then, I will just charge for normal hours. Wouldnt charge if they didnt come if I cant collect.

The Juggler
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I also agree that if the pick up is not contractual you are still within your rights to charge as they could walk little one to you if they wanted them still to come.

helenlc
06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
"Collecting from home is something I do voluntarily as part of providing an inclusive service, but does not form part of the contract."

This is the I need!! I pick up and drop off a LO and wasnt able to do so before xmas cos of the snow. I am neither contracted nor paid for this service. I told Mum that I was able to have LO but she was responsible for getting her to me and collecting her. She didnt come but I charged full money.

My car broke down last week - luckily I wasnt at work but it made me realise there may be occassions when I am not able to pick up or drop off, not just cos of the snow.

So I am going to put something out to my parents along the lines of what you have done. So thank you.:thumbsup:

miffy
06-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I collect a lo in the mornings and as the roads are dangerous ie. unable to move car without getting stuck and with the weather as it is and forecasts for more bad weather I don't feel comfortable about going out tomorrow morning to collect the lo. Do you think I would be wrong to phone the parents and say that due to the weather I will not be having lo as it is too dangerous? I have no intention of charging them and will tell them this but what do you think.

I'm sure you've made the right decision - no point in putting everyone's safety at risk.

Miffy xx

miffy
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Collecting from home is something I do voluntarily as part of providing an inclusive service, but does not form part of the contract. Therefore full fees still apply if you choose not to bring your child to me.

Very well put!!! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx