PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU EVER CLOSE EARLY IN THE BAD WEATHER?

angeldelight
06-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Just out of interest really

Do you close any earlier when the schools are all closed and when most of the nurseries in your area are also closed?

One of my friends said her childminder closes early when schools are closed.

I have never even thought to do that and just wondered if anyone did this

Angel xxx

Polly2
06-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Morning Angel

I think its the parents call whether to come fetch their kids early in bad weather. Its not like we have to drive home or anything :laughing:

I do stress about whether to charge or not though - I have had 2 cancellations already today.

sonia ann
06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
I always seem to have more children for longer in bad weather:) .....place of safety and all that:)

charleyfarley
06-01-2010, 07:45 AM
No I don't close early due to snow. I leave it up to the parents if they want to collect early. I'm still waiting to find out if mindees are here today.

Carol xx

angeldelight
06-01-2010, 07:46 AM
I always seem to have more children for longer in bad weather:) .....place of safety and all that:)

Yeah same here

Just thought it a bit strange and what reason could we give really for closing early - its not like we have to go out is it if schools etc are closed

Angel xx

FizzysFriends
06-01-2010, 07:51 AM
I can't see why anyone would need to close early as they are at home anyway so no risks of travel, upto the parents to collect early and I will text updates about the weather situation through the day as some parents work miles away.

littletreasures
06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
If anything I would have thought we would stay open longer as parent's may have difficulty in getting home on time.

angeldelight
06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
If anything I would have thought we would stay open longer as parent's may have difficulty in getting home on time.

Yes thats what I thought

Could imagine my parents if I said I was closing early :laughing:

Angel xx

Chimps Childminding
06-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't close early. One picked up early yesterday because she travels quite a way and was worried about not being able to get home! the other was picked up as normal!

Was expecting 2 today, one just cancelled still waiting on the other, but as it is the same one as picked up early would have thought she would stay at home!

I am going to charge half :blush: I know in theory I am open, but its not the parents fault they can't get to work/here and most of them will still get paid but it doesn't happen very often so I thought they might appreciate the gesture (tho probably not :D )

06-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't close early and leave it up to the parents to decide if they want to collect early. I'm sitting here waiting for parents to let me know whether I am having their mindees today.

PixiePetal
06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I would stay open later if necessary, I try to be flexible. Although they can't get to me with the snow anyway :rolleyes:

If parents need to collect early then that's fine too!

Usual rates apply but would not charge extra if they had tried to be on time.

Daftbat
06-01-2010, 09:01 AM

Exactly - i was prepared to have to work until very late last night and even overnight:D

Twinkles
06-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I can understand nurserys closing early as the staff have to get home but hey we're already there !! ( sometimes I love my job :D )

I am prepared to stay open late, have overnighters , make them tea or hot chocolate when they finally get here...........but I do love it when they cancel :laughing:

Heaven Scent
06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm with everyone else on this - only time I closed early was Christmas Eve and between Christmas and New Year and that is because those parents who were going into work were finishing early and others that sent their children were off and were just sending their kiddies to have some time to themselves and they were on special daily/weekly rates so I worked out the hours I was open so that if they paid my hourly rate for the time I was open it would work out the same and they would not be out of pocket.

PixiePetal
06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I can understand nurserys closing early as the staff have to get home but hey we're already there !! ( sometimes I love my job :D )

I am prepared to stay open late, have overnighters , make them tea or hot chocolate when they finally get here...........but I do love it when they cancel :laughing:

Exactly my thoughts :D

ajs
06-01-2010, 09:21 AM

both of my little ones live close enough to walk but i haven't heard from one this morning and the other is walking ( she's paid she will use me) but i should have started at 8.30 and they're not here yet.

i wouldn't close early though and expected to have friends and their children all night as they were stuck here until late.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I only am closed because the children don't come otherwise I am open - one of the perks of working from home.

I do not collect/drop off at homes under contract so it is the parents responsbility to get them here.

Only got 1 today from 1.30 - 5.30 yippee

Alibali
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
That would be nice wouldn't it! But alas, no, I've been working later too:)

youarewhatyoueat
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I asked parents to pick up early on tuesday afternoon as the school bus got stuck trying to get to high school and I was going to have to get my kids and no way was I taking the mindees with me in case I got into trouble, we live in a rural area in the cotswolds and got caught out by the snow yesterday.
As it happened they came anyway as they were struggling to get home and my kids finally got home after 2 hours.
Thats really the only situation I would close early as its a safety issue, and no one can get to me tommorrow so i'm off sledging with my 4 kids as schools shut till next week.
They were only back for 3 hours after the hols, what a bonus.

zillervalley
06-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I would stay open later if necessary, I try to be flexible. Although they can't get to me with the snow anyway :rolleyes:

If parents need to collect early then that's fine too!

Usual rates apply but would not charge extra if they had tried to be on time.

I agree with the above, we arent going anywhere and the mindees are safe with us till parent arrives whether be early or later

ziller

Playmate
06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I agree with the above, we arent going anywhere and the mindees are safe with us till parent arrives whether be early or later

ziller

Here Here,

however we only had 3 today instead of 5 and none tomorrow yipee :clapping:

Suppose we had better catch up on paper work, can't go anywhere! :(