PDA

View Full Version : getting children

littlestars26
05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
hi my name laura i am a newly registered childminder. i have a few people look round but none of them have got back in touch, has any body got any advice for me as i was hoping i would have at least one child now. am i doing something wrong there all seem very positive and intrested then i just dont hear from them i coulkd do with some help'

Cakes
05-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Laura,
Try not worry too much you are not doing anything wrong I also had some parents at the beginning that came out were very positive/interested but never did ring me back like they said they would....Some people are just very strange:laughing:
I didn't get any mindees for the first 2/3 months even though I had a few enquires and then all of a sudden they all came at once, now I only have 2 spaces left.

All I can say is advertise yourself(own website,any childcare sites you can find,netmums,shop windows) as well as using FIS and your area co-ordinator,most of my mindees came as a result of my own advertising.

I don't know if you are feeling the same but I did find that parents coming to look round made me very very nervous to start with,but once I got round that by thinking that I too am checking THEM out to see if they are suitable , I was more myself!

Hope you get some mindees soon
:group hug:
xx

littlestars26
05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Laura,
Try not worry too much you are not doing anything wrong I also had some parents at the beginning that came out were very positive/interested but never did ring me back like they said they would....Some people are just very strange:laughing:
I didn't get any mindees for the first 2/3 months even though I had a few enquires and then all of a sudden they all came at once, now I only have 2 spaces left.

All I can say is advertise yourself(own website,any childcare sites you can find,netmums,shop windows) as well as using FIS and your area co-ordinator,most of my mindees came as a result of my own advertising.

I don't know if you are feeling the same but I did find that parents coming to look round made me very very nervous to start with,but once I got round that by thinking that I too am checking THEM out to see if they are suitable , I was more myself!

Hope you get some mindees soon
:group hug:
xx

yea i get very nervous. i have advitse in lots of shop windows near my area and in the local libary. i am on the childcare website. my co ordinatior is not very good i ring and ask for advice and things but she doesnt really give me any. i will register with net mum do you knopw of anymore. i just very stressed thinking maybe i arnt doing it rite

littlestars26
05-01-2010, 09:51 PM
what FIS just i have never herd of it before?

mojo0403
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm the same as you Laura; newly registered and waiting for the phone to ring. fingers crossed for both of us.

Good luck x

Cakes
05-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Sorry:blush: FIS is family information service.... so if you type into google family information service and then your area ie:Oxfordshire you would find contact details for your local one.
I don't find my co-ordinator much help either but this forum makes up for that!:thumbsup:
The sites I am using to advertise at the moment that i can think of off hand;
Netmums(have had a few enquires from this- in my opinion the best one)
Childcare.co.uk
emergencychildcare.co.uk(nothing enquiry wise from here yet but could be good for odd hard to fill hours)

Some of the mindees I have taken on came from viewing my own website it can be a bit of an expense to set up but worth it if it is done well.
Word of mouth is also brilliant i got 2 mindees that way, let everyone you can know you are childminding...the nosier the neighbour the further they broadcast :D
Hope that helps xx

madredann
06-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I managed to get a couple of mindees by printing some small leaflets off computer and posting in local area through doors e.g if there is an estate etc good area to do it. It is time consuming but people hold onto them and also word of mouth so every few doors or houses that look like they have children living there. Also put notice in car window so on school run parents can see what vacancies I have
Hope that helps x

suzyblue
06-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I think its hard to get started as parents want to see you with kids already - maybe you could borrow some next time you have a visit :laughing: Once you get a child it will be much easier, good luck!

MrsT333
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I think its is slow for everyone at the mo, so try not to worry that much.
Im sending u good luck x