PDA

View Full Version : Wood Burners and Fireguards

Paws
05-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Hello
This is a bit of a weird question...
We don't have a fireguard around our wood burner in the lounge because we don't light it when I have mindees, and when I am not minding, our children are old enough and have grown up with it to know how to treat it.

Anyway. Today is FREEZING. My mindees today are two 5 year olds after school (both who have their own, lit woodburners at home, so they know how to treat them). Would I be allowed to light mine with no fireguard with 5 year old mindees around or is the whole idea a massive NO!

Thanks.

Blaze
05-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Do a RA stating the extreme temps & that the particular mindees you have today have woodburners at home etc....if YOU feel it is safe & appropriate to light it then as long as you have a RA for your change in procedure then I don't see why not...personally I wouldn't light a fire without a fireguard - but you know your setting & mindees IYSWIM - HTH

Julez
13-01-2010, 02:17 PM
:panic: I have a woodburner and teenagers. also central heating for mindees but am buying a fireguard as woodburner is warmer. wouldn't even think about having it on without one. simple stumble or trip and it would be like the speeding advert. that burn't child would follow you always. P.S. I have a burner but doesn't mean I would be happy about my children being exposed to anyone elses.... daughter burnt her leg on someones electric fire recently and she's 17.

Winnie
13-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Our woodburner get extremely hot, in fact i worry myself about tripping in front of it- so i would say its a no no without a guard.