PDA

View Full Version : Payment in Snow for school runs

clorogue
05-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a little boy whom I take to school every morning and every evening. My standard policy throughout my setting is that I charge for childcare if there is snow as the childcare is available at my house as I am there, whether I can go out in the car or not in the weather.

With regard to the morning/after school care. If I am here and I am not available to take the child to school or back because of the snow, do you think I should still charge? I am a bit mixed about this one as the childcare space is allocated to him, but yet I am unable to do the run. Welcome your views.

Mrs.L.C
05-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Difficult one but then if it was that bad then surely the school would close anyway?

You are also keeping that space for them meaning you cant take on others so you should get something. What about a comprimise of half fees?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-01-2010, 02:54 PM
If the child can get to you why would you not be able to get to school?

I would say that if you cannot do your contracted hours because of whether then is it the parents fault? I would say no and would not charge BUT I would have thought that the school would be closed and in that case you would be available to work as they should pay you

Not sure if this issue would arise so am conflicted with my answer - can you tell :laughing:

Tired
05-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Debbie, it could be that child could get to minder, but minder not get to school, depends on the distances.

I have mindee who lives in next road, so can walk here in 2 mins. However, school is 40 min walk away, so we always drive.

I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow. If its this bad I don't want to go to school, even if it is open.
Ill have 2 schoolies and 3 babies, and don't fancy being stuck in the car for hours with all that lot.

If mindee gets here I don't know if I can charge all day if it is my choice not to take him to school. I will make it clear to his mum that I am not doing the school run, and let her chose to bring him here all day or get him to school herself.

FizzysFriends
05-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I think if you are contracted to take him to school and you can't offer that service then you can't charge. If parents want you to have him all day then thats their choice and then chargeable.

I don't think you can charge because you are open if you aren't going to fulfil your part of the contract of taking the child to school.

littletreasures
05-01-2010, 07:10 PM
My mindees live near to the school. Parents drop them off to me 3 miles away and then I drive to take the kids to school.

So if the parents can get to my house I know I can get to school. Still hoping it snows heavily during the night so they can't get here. :laughing: :laughing:

Alibali
05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I think if you are contracted to take him to school and you can't offer that service then you can't charge. If parents want you to have him all day then thats their choice and then chargeable.

I don't think you can charge because you are open if you aren't going to fulfil your part of the contract of taking the child to school.

I agree with this.

wendywu
05-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Me too :thumbsup:

kindredspirits
05-01-2010, 08:29 PM
if the school is open but you tell the parents you cannot take the child to school then i wouldn't charge. any other circumstances i would.