PDA

View Full Version : Considering an assistant - is it worth while?

04-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I am currently fully booked with my 3 under 5's category but would love to take on more. My question is two fold.....is there anyway that Ofsted would let me increase to 4 under 5's???? And if not, I am considering getting an assistant so that I can take on more children.

Have any of you got assistants that are not family members and if you have, does it work out well??? And what would you say the pros and cons are???

Sorry for so many questions at once :laughing:

WildMonkies
04-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Hiya

I'm trying to work out if to get and assistant or another childminder too. Ofsted will only increase your numbers if its for continuation of care as far as i know.

Where would you get an assistant from?

I'm slightly concerned that my house isn't clean enough and that i'm just not a good enough at childminding:( . Then again i'm full. Paranoid!

Let me know if you come up with any ideas!

Valx :clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
04-01-2010, 04:29 PM
If you have an assistant it means that Ofsted will consider upping your numbers but you have to consider that it will up your workload too. You would be responsible for all paperwork, income, expenses, EYFS, wages, tax etc..

Personally if I had a choice I would do without the headache unless I was going to become a nursery

suzyblue
05-01-2010, 08:18 AM
You need to figure out if its worth it money wise. If you have an assistant you will need two of three more children to cover wages expenses and hopefully make a profit. Work out what your profit is likely to be and decide if you want to do it. As said previously you will have a lot more paperwork to do but it is nice to work with someone and makes school runs easier. I would only do it if you knew someone reliable too. If you take on a stranger and they continually take time off and you have to cancel children then that would have an impact on your business. Does the person have children? Is your house big enough?
I worked with someone for many years and it worked well but we did get on well beforehand and she didn't have kids and was very reliable and never got ill. Good luck whatever you decide!!!

smiler
28-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I have worked with an assistant for about 6 months. the lady is a friend and i know her well. However, I personally have found it to be a nightmare! I assumed she would have the same passion for childcare, and the same drive as me but she doesnt. Its just a 9 to 5 job for her and I am seriously thinking about dismissing her (despite the large amount of income i will lose) and that will now possibly ruin the friendship. Its difficult to say whats best, but you must consider the possibilty that the person you employ may not work to your standards because its not their name and reputation on the line its yours- they get their monthly pay however hard they do or dont work. Sorry if thats not the reply you were hoping for but another childminder gave me similar advice which i ignored, and now im wishing i had listened! good luck whatever you choose to do.

29-01-2010, 02:15 AM
I must admit that that was one of my concerns.....I really pride myself on my Childminding Business and get many complimants about the work I put into it. I do worry that an Assistant could effectively jeopardise my good reputation......it's a real tricky one though. My other fear is the assistant will take too much time off sick and let me down which in turn would mean that I am letting my parents down. I hate letting my parents down and go great lengths sometimes (even when I am feeling poorly) to still open up and do a great job. Seems like the jury is out for the moment on whether an assistant is worth while persuing......

hayjay1987
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi all, Iam also considering an assistant. i have weighed up the pros and cons and it seems it would be worth while for me. My problem is, I DO NOT want all these children in my house, so we have thought about renting a place, hopefully one that has already had the refurbishment needed and all we have to do is furnish it, but I have no idea where to look for one. I want a property that was a nursary before. Would this also mean I will have to register as a nursary?

If any one can give me any websites for places to rent or advice would be much appriciated.

Hay xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi all, Iam also considering an assistant. i have weighed up the pros and cons and it seems it would be worth while for me. My problem is, I DO NOT want all these children in my house, so we have thought about renting a place, hopefully one that has already had the refurbishment needed and all we have to do is furnish it, but I have no idea where to look for one. I want a property that was a nursary before. Would this also mean I will have to register as a nursary?

If any one can give me any websites for places to rent or advice would be much appriciated.

Hay xxxx

I have gone down this route and you would need to register with Ofsted as "Childminder working on non domestic premises" and you would have 2 ofsted numbers (if you wanted to keep your own home registered too) and 2 inspections

I would also contact your local council as mine wanted £250 per square metre for business rates - hence I did not do it

loocyloo
03-02-2010, 04:07 PM
i have an assistant - my neighbour, who has 2 small children of her own! i only use her one evening a week, as it allowed me to offer care for all the children i had on my books, without having to let anyone down.

it has also been useful for doing the school runs when it was snowy!

i also have my mother registered as my assistant, so i have cover should my neighbour be unable to work, or if i wish to go out in the holidays with more children!

when i arranged to have an assistant, ofsted allowed me to double my numbers, with my assistant having the full 6 under 8 allowance! (i don't use it though!)

yes, i do pay my assistant more than the child i employ gives me, BUT that is only one evening, and i have the child many more hours than that!

it can be irritating, as my assistant doesn't do things exactly as and when i want them done, but i'd be stuck without her! and one night a week is fine!

the children all enjoy it to!

x

smiler
09-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi again

Since last posting my assistant has now gone long term sick with stress! ibecause i actually employ her and she is not self employed this leaves me in a really difficult position, financially, with letting parents down, and of course my statutory and contractual obligations to her. she cant help being ill, of course, but please do carefully consider whether you employ your assistant or let her be self employed. My goodness i do sound full of woe! i suppose i realise i made the wrong decision becoming an employer so feel i should point out what might go wrong. i think im right in assuming that if she wasnt employed i wouldnt be in the position of paying her sick pay for 3-6 months? so did you decide to go ahead? x