PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in a pushchair!

Dragonfly
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi, i know this has come up before but I have a young child who is happier to sleep flat in a puchchair then a cot. Should i get a letter signed from the mum(how do i word it?) given permission (she is happy for him to sleep in a pushchair)as i have a ofsed inspection in the near future and want to cover myself as i know the cot is best.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Mine sleep in a pushchair with no permission slips - the HV told me to do it with mine - fresh air and all that. As long as they are warm and dry why not?

jelly15
03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
All mine nap in pushchairs, did have one whose Mum wanted her to sleep in travel cot but LO hated it so I tried her in pushchair and she went to sleep with no tears straight away and has done since. I told mum this is what I would be doing from then on as I didn't like her LO getting upset in the cot.

sweets
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
ive got a 10 month old that sleeps after lunch, if i put her in the cot she sleeps for 15 - 30 mins max! if i snuggle her in the pushchair and pop her outside on the patio she sleeps for 1 1/2 - 2hrs. so guess where she sleeps? lol.

if the weather is really bad or freezing i put the pushchair in the kitchen which i dont really like as then i have to creep about as she is a light sleeper.

i havnt got a permission slip signed, i keep meaning to do one though. her mum knows about it and is happy and has even started doing the same at home with her.

beccas
03-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I told ofsted my minded children sleep in a pushchair sometimes and they said what ever is good for the child.

Dragonfly
04-01-2010, 06:34 AM
I know its not a bad thing sleeping in a pushchair, when I was a nanny 29 years ago we used to put the children to sleep in a pram silver cross!! out on the patio all weathers!. Its just so many things have changed and ofsted frown ( and other perfect childminders!)on so many things now that I was worried about needing permission slips for this.I prefer the child to have a good sleep wheres in the cot he screams.

sarah707
04-01-2010, 08:06 AM
I have specific sleeping in buggy permission as part of my list of permissions because it was something an inspector asked about some years ago. :D

mamasheshe
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
i was told on a course i went on ofstead don't like it as theirs a risk of choking on vomit if they're strapped in. I've always let my daughters sleep in buggys though.

LittleAcorns
04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I have a newby starting tomorrow, I have a travel cot that my one year old mindee sleeps in there for 2 hours in the afternoon without fail, so if newby want a nap in the afternoon Id be stuck, she said she always sleeps in her buggy at home so I'll do the same, my thinking is my house is completely open plan so I'll pop this baby where I can see her constantly :D I'll get signed permission just incase

singlewiththree
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I have one who screamed in the travel cot so he sleeps in the buggy and is find with it and has a good hour or two :) The 10mth old sleeps in the travel cot and she likes that. I do think it just depends on what they child likes after all we need a break as much as they need a sleep.

04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I currently look after an 11 month old that naps in the travel cot but I have got two more mindees starting next month (6 month old and 2 year old). I was thinking of putting the 6 month old in a pushchair and the 2 year old on a sofa.....is this ok???

LisaH
04-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a 2yr old who sleeps happily in her pushchair and a 4 yr old who has an occasional nap on the sofa with her own blanket to lie on:)

I don't have permission slips for pushchair sleeping and ofsted didn't seem to care!! If you are worried tho get it anyway then you are covered regardless:)

beccas
04-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I have at this min a new one just started today fell asleep in my arms whilst we were reading abook at 12.05 and is still asleep in buggy and we have done a school run as well.

Heaven Scent
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
On different days I have different children sleeping in all sorts of different places - e.g. travel cots in spare bedroom, pushchairs in playroom, couch in my living room (with me sitting on the couch beside them on here and watching loose women, pushchair in back garden (dry days only) & pram in back garden (all weathers - it is waterproof).

Its about the unique child - children need their sleep and we need to let them sleep where they are 1) happiest and 2) will sleep best.

I get permission to let children sleep where I feel is best for them.

Dragonfly
04-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Good, I seem to be the same as most of you then. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

lizboreham
04-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi
On one of my Ofsted inspections about five years ago it was suggested by the inspector that I get a permission slip signed by the parents, I now do
it as a matter of course even if the children don't usually sleep in the
pushchair just so I'm covered.

venus89
04-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I have one I can't settle in the cot who sleeps in the pushchair and on Fridays Ihave two who sometimes nap at the same time, neither of whom would lie on the sofa like my Tuesday mindee does, so sometimes one goes in the pushchair and the other in the travel cot