PDA

View Full Version : Minding ill children

shopshelleyd
03-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Just had 2 weeks off over Christmas which has been lovely including going to center parcs just before, however we've all been ill. I am so cross because in the weeks before Xmas I had several children sent to me who were not well ie full of coughs and colds and one I though had conjunctivitis although parent said drs said he didn't. Anway as consequence myself and 3 children have had awful colds so that we were not able to enjoy hols properly and a sickness bug which meant we had to miss first day of hol. Also strangely 2 of my children have had conjunctivitis - can't imagine where they caught that from!

Anyway my question is although I know we have to mind children with colds where do you draw the line? I have been so cross that parents seem to care so little about my family and for that matter their own children and are happy to send children who have horrible green constantly runny noses and coughing all over. I even had one child who said I was sick last night and parent said no you weren't! It just seems so unfair. Anyway winge over!

Despite all that have had nice time and really not looking forward to tomorrow. Even though I have missed most of the children it has been lovely just to have family time and a home not a nursery for a change.

Shelley

The Juggler
03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
my rule is whether or not they are fit to join in with what's going on. If they need to lie down constantly or need constant carrying around, they need to be at home with a parent or family member.

Lick'le Oakes
03-01-2010, 04:57 PM
!

Despite all that have had nice time and really not looking forward to tomorrow. Even though I have missed most of the children it has been lovely just to have family time and a home not a nursery for a change. Quote

This is exactly how i feel!!

sarah707
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
my rule is whether or not they are fit to join in with what's going on. If they need to lie down constantly or need constant carrying around, they need to be at home with a parent or family member.

That's my rule as well.

Plus if they tell me they were sick last night I ring and ask parents to collect and remind them of the 48 hour rule. :D

Ripeberry
03-01-2010, 07:07 PM
!

Despite all that have had nice time and really not looking forward to tomorrow. Even though I have missed most of the children it has been lovely just to have family time and a home not a nursery for a change. Quote

This is exactly how i feel!!

Glad other people feel like this. This is the longest time I've not had my mindees (both started in Sept) and I've really enjoyed having the house back and even being able to take the great big fire guard away.
Never mind...only 6 weeks until end of term :D

Tatjana
03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
The worst thing I felt about it was when they're coughing all over everyone's food at mealtimes, bleurghhhh:panic: :angry: :rolleyes:

xx

beccas
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
if sickness and runs i dont have them for 48 hours clear.....

angiemog
03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
It has just taken me 3 1/2 weeks to get over a cold. I had one mum just before the Christmas hol call and ask if i had any other children cos if I did she didn't want to send her daughter who had a cold. I said I did til 4.30pm she decided to bring her daughter at 4.30pm for whole 60 mins..... luckily I was ok. Just made me chuckle that she thought about other mindees but not me.

Cazz
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM
It has just taken me 3 1/2 weeks to get over a cold. I had one mum just before the Christmas hol call and ask if i had any other children cos if I did she didn't want to send her daughter who had a cold. I said I did til 4.30pm she decided to bring her daughter at 4.30pm for whole 60 mins..... luckily I was ok. Just made me chuckle that she thought about other mindees but not me.

Unbelievable!! I think for the sake of 60 minutes I would have reminded her that my health was as important as the rest of the children!!

I think they send children when ill as they've still got to pay - if the childminder gets it the next week and can't work it's an inconvenience but at least it won't cost them anything :rolleyes: Call me cynical if you like but I think that's the way most parents probably see the situation.

I've even considered changing the way I charge but then I think they'll say the child is sick when they're actually on holiday so that they don't have to pay again. It's a no win situation! :rolleyes:

The Juggler
04-01-2010, 08:19 AM

and why would you bother coming all that way for an hour!

kez
04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
dont tell me about it i have had children ill beofre xmas, after being here an hour one child was so poorly you could just tell an a high temp, not wanting to join in......i called her mum an sent her home...then a few days later she was back with chicken pox after 20 mins of being here i spotted them and again sent her home again apparently her mother didnt spot them on her back or neck and told parent not to bring her for 5-7 days as this is in my policy....im sorry but i have to think about the welfare of me, my child and the other children in my care...

I am also off today as i too now have this terrible sickness bug which ive had all weekend.

As far as im concered if a child cannot participate in the activities or routines which we do because they are ill they should be at home, If they risk making everyone ill because of of the flu or other illnesses they should also be at home, i even sent a child home the other day for having head lice (i dont want them or want any other children to catch them).

LisaH
04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I've been full of cold since before xmas and it is the same mindee who brings the germs in:mad:

She has started back today and is full of cold again!!! I have done nothing but wipe her nose for the past 6months:laughing:

Rant over:)

Winnie
04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Annoying isnt it. I have it in my sick child policy that no matter what the doctor says I respectfully retain the right to make up my own mind. I do not take children with conjunctivitis, sticky eye, pink eye or watery eye as it is impossible for anyone to say with certainty that it isn’t conjunctivitis.
I take the guidance as that: just guidance.
I did see an inspection report where the childminder (she was pretty awful) was graded as unsatisfactory and one of the issues was an unwell child putting the other children welfare at risk- so that’s my line, I’m not a nurse, hospital or dumping ground. My insurance will not cover me accepting ill children.