PDA

View Full Version : Walking to and from school on own

Ellen
02-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I have had a parent asking if i can look after her two girls (9,11) the thing is they don't go to my school they go to a school just down the road from me 400yards approx and would have to go on their own and return on own. I have said i don't like the idea but mum thinks its ok. Can you please advice as she is coming to see me tomorrow

Thanks Ellen x

sarah707
02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I have had lots of children who walk here over the years but they have always been at the high school.

I have a disclaimer which states that while I will support them if they are lost ofr there's a problem, I am not responsible for them (insured etc) until they are on my property.

Also what I expect - they come straight here, they carry a mobile, my details are in indelible ink in their bag... those kinds of things.

at the end of the day, it's up to you really and how you feel about it.

Over 8s come into the Childcare Register which has different expectations from the Eyfs - I'd give that a read first and see where you go from there.

Hth :D

PixiePetal
02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I have a policy for independant arrival. Only had one before - I was not responsible till she got in my door and I signed her in, at which point we text mum and she replied so we are all in the picture. I also phoned child on her mobile as she left school to make sure she was on her way or she phoned me.

Mum signed to agree with this. Child was 10 1/2 and had been at mine for odd after schools since she started school. My DS is a year older so when he left primary school and I could not pick her up anymore we worked this out.

beccas
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I have the same i am only responsible for them when they reach my door and i get parent to sign this and also i let the school know this too, also i ask my mindees to give me a blank on their mobile to let me know they are leaving school, it doesnt cost as i never answer but i know how long it takes them to walk to my house.

Alibali
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
It's very difficult when it comes to minded children, but I happily let my 8 and 11 years old sons walk home from school independently, so I suppose if the parents are happy and you keep yourself covered all should be OK.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I have 9 year olds walking to and from school - I have an independant arrival policy and signed letters from the parents stating that it is okay and that they are aware that I am not responsible until they arrive.

Check you insurance company as MM won't cover you for this. This is what Ofsted says on the matter

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry where childminders care for children aged eight and over they can make arrangements with parents for these children to leave the premises alone (open access scheme) with written parental permission. We would not define the circumstances of how or when such arrangements take place providing the relevant permission is in place.

I would also advise you to consider this as part of your Risk Assessment, to cover any possible risks from this.

madasahatter
03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
In agreement with parents (in writing) I am happy for children aged 9 and over (year 5 and 6) to go to and from school independently, depending on how sensible they are. I have one child who arrives at 7.30 am and sometimes wants to go to breakfast club with her friends. Neither I nor her parents would be able to take her if she wasn't allowed to take herself as I have other mindees here that need breakfast etc (mum will mention when she drops her off that she wants to go and I won't let her go unless mum has said so). Same applies to after school clubs. It is so much easier when they can bring themselves back. Mind you school is only 200m away

Ellen
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Thank you for all your replys I have decided not to take the girls on as I am not happy for them to walk home as I would not expect my own girls at this age. I do have a child in y7 walk to me with parent permission.
Thanks Ellen