PDA

View Full Version : What do you all do?

Adiamond
02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone :)

I am just wondering what you all do to entertain your school age mindees in the holidays!
I have my son who is 7 and he is quite happy to play with his Ben10 action fiqures or play on the wii he is really easy to please :clapping:
I mind 2 brothers one is 4 and the other 7 and I cannot seem to please either of them arghhhh. The older one just loiters about saying he is bored and the lo just gets EVERYTHING out and doesn't play with anything!!! I spent ages before the hols preparing lots of crafty things to do and when I got them all out all they did was cut everything up into the smallest pieces and put glue all over my curtains :eek:
I just don't know what else to do with them they just don't seem to want to do anything I suggest :( x x

sarah707
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Well I've learned the hard way on that one and don't leave them unattended with glue - on the windows

Or scissors - hair :rolleyes:

I go out as much as possible :D

FizzysFriends
02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I have 2 sisters that are a nightmare in the house, they seem to think its their job to do all the things here that they can't do at home, like break the toys, trash the house etc. So I take them out the house as much as possible and drive home really slowly, LOL

francinejayne
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
thinking back to when my eldest was that age (seems soooooooooo long ago :eek: ) he loved playing superheroes. With action figures and also role playing. Maybe you could also provide a film that they'd all like to watch? And get them making their own lunch - home made pizzas always go down a treat - amazing how many children have never made their own dough! Failing that chuck then out in the back garden!!!!! :laughing:

mushpea
03-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Mine play the wii, do crafts, playdough, cooking, drawing,
they are not so keen on just playing with toys though for some reason, after we have done a craft the younger ones go off to play and so do the others but one schoolie just hangs round me which really bugs me, before christmas we went to a friends and because she there were just toys out and no drawing she just sat on the floor and cried!!
I tend to go out somewhere each day even if its just a walk to the local duck pond cause if not i would go mad with my little shaddow, even when i sit down for a well earned cuppa she vertialy sits on top of me,,oh well nice to be wanted i guess.

The Juggler
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
junk modelling, board games, top trumps, funny little games like screwball scramble, hullaballoo, 3-D noughts and crosses.

Always go to the park daily - weather permitting - or library for a visit and limited time on wii or PC.

Cooking is always good too. just simple stuff, shortbread, crispie cakes, pizza

Twinkles
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I always go out too where possible. Or invite another minder round with her lot. There are often so many children it's just not possible to be bored ( the squabbling keeps them entertained ! )

Tink
03-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Have you tried asking the children what they would like to do? especially the 7 year old, that way you will have an idea of his interests or possibly a better idea of what toys to provide for him:D

Adiamond
03-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I do try and get out with them most days they are here and I do try and make it last as long as possible!!!!
I do ask the mindees what they would like to do and the answer I normally get especially off the 7 year old is "dunno" then I suggest everything I can think of and he says no to each and every one :eek: they just don't seem to be interested in anything or maybe they are just being awkward whilst they are here!!!!!! I have set out new things in the playroom today to see if they will amuse them for a little longer than normal tomorrow we will see if not I don't know what I will do??????????? x

Ripeberry
03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
One afternoon a week, I have a 3yr old all by herself, so luckily she likes to play with playdough and likes being read to, but I'm always relieved when my two girls come home from school as they then play with her and keep themselves entertained.

Louise_Oaktree
05-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I found lots of lovely parks and different soft play centres, further the drive the better ;)

We also have a horse place that rescues horses and it's free entry to look around, the girls used to like going there and there are benches to have a pic-nic

We also liked trips to ice-cream cafe places :thumbsup:

Then in the end it got too much for me and I gave notice as I felt guilty about trawling my under 5's around with us to places they weren't really interested in and don't really want to do after school children again as my son starts school in September