PDA

View Full Version : Bad payers want to give two weeks notice...

Goatgirl
02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi all,
I've had a family with 2 little ones come back to me in December, after a break for maternity leave. They're lovely children and the parents do always pay, but never the whole amount on time. Its really annoyed me, especially as I have been very clear about it. Every month its "there's been a problem but definitely the whole lot on time next month".

They were due to pay me by last friday for the next 4 weeks, but i got a text on weds saying they had a certain amount, but wouldn't have the balance until a week monday. Rather than let it go again, I said I would accept a 2 part payment this one last time and thereafter would be charging a daily late fee for any money not paid on the due date. I was polite, careful not to sound patronising, and shortly after sent another friendly message about times etc, saying when i'd be around for them to drop off payment and reminding them I have xmas pressies here for the children to be collected.

Then nothing. No money brought round, no message to say why. I started thinking they'd got stressy and I'd never see them again and was even starting to come around to the idea that I'd have some free time! (but not much money, lol)

Then today i got a text saying can i give them a price for the next 2 weeks, as mum is giving notice at work and wont need me after that.!!

I'm pretty sure its a response to me being firm with them and to be honest I'd rather not have the constant stress of not knowing when I'll get my money every month, but its still disappointing and the children are so lovely... not to mention the loss of income :(

Anyway I guess what i need help with is to decide if its worth getting into a battle with them over the outstanding fees, or to just have a quiet life; give them a figure, work the 2 weeks and let them get away with taking the mick...as usual. The 2 weeks are worth around £300.. or even just not answer them!! see how they like not knowing what's going on for a few days :idea:

What would you guys do?

sorry for rambling :blush:

wendy :)

Twinkles
02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Well you could draw their attention to the four weeks notice needed as per contract and see how you go from there.

If you think they're not going to pay it you have to judge if you think it's worth the hassle of trying to get it.

The Juggler
02-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Well you could draw their attention to the four weeks notice needed as per contract and see how you go from there.

If you think they're not going to pay it you have to judge if you think it's worth the hassle of trying to get it.

I would say, "what a shame you have decided to leave work but if that's what's right for her, but four weeks notice will be due as per the contract" I would do it soon, as she might want to hold off giving notice until the end of her notice period with you. Don't give them the easy out hon, especially not in Jan when we all need the money.

Mouse
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I would work out exactly how much they are due to pay you, as per your contract, then decide what is the minimum you would accept to be rid of them!

Put it in writing & say that as per the contract they owe you X amount, but if payment is made by a certain date you will accept a final settlement of Y. If they don't pay by that date, you will expect the full amount by (give a final date).

It sounds as if you'll be well rid of them & it might be worth losing out on a bit of money for them to go early.

margaret
02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I would work out exactly how much they owe you as stated in contract,
Put it in writing saying that as per contract they owe you x amount ,you require payment by ,and see what happens,or you could give them payment options if they are finding it difficult to pay bill e.g. total bill split into easy payments to be paid weekly in advance and a final date. By giving them a choice you are acting in professional manner They signed the contract ,nursery etc would not let them opt out of payment for easy life ,why should cms,if we want to act as professional we have to act in professional manner .(im on my hobby horse again)good luck whatever you do.

Goatgirl
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Higirls, thanks for your suggestions so far...
Have text the mum with (pretty much what juggler said). "what a shame you 're having to give up your job, but only you know what the right thing to do is..." and then the contract stuff. Then got back: "don't know if it is the right thing to do, I love my job... when (partner) gets home will text you the hours for next week." no mention at all of notice or payment. I could scream!

But I wont :D

Wendy

The Juggler
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Higirls, thanks for your suggestions so far...
Have text the mum with (pretty much what juggler said). "what a shame you 're having to give up your job, but only you know what the right thing to do is..." and then the contract stuff. Then got back: "don't know if it is the right thing to do, I love my job... when (partner) gets home will text you the hours for next week." no mention at all of notice or payment. I could scream!

But I wont :D

Wendy

sounds like he told her to leave work so he didn't have to pay you!:eek:

Goatgirl
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
hi again,
This is turning into a right shaggy dog story... today I have had a messsage saying they only need me for 2 days for the next two weeks, then it gets a bit hazy about the 3rd and 4th weeks, but implies they want me to work. Still asking me to work out fees based on what they want to 'use' despite being contracted for the minimum 3 days. And only telling me which days today although its in the contract they need to let me know on friday evening before care begins each week.

I've just about had enough: this has been stressing me out in my own time too, which is unacceptable... and I think I'm going to give notice myself if it doesn't turn up in written form tomorrow.

I don't think anyone's forcing anyone out of their job... they get max child tax credits too, so any problem paying me will more likely be due to having had far too good a time on New Year's Eve, instead of coming straight round with the money when they got it on weds.

ah well, better get on and sort things ready for tomorrow's back-to-work chaos :)

Bws,
Wendy

Twinkles
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Sounds like you'll be well shot of them !!