PDA

View Full Version : upstairs risks

mushpea
02-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I am wanting to register my upstairs, only incase one of the children decide to go up there and get hurt then i know i am covered by my insurance, upstairs is out of bounds because its family space.
anyway i am going to write to ofsted and include a risk assesment, these are the 'risk' things i have thought of so far but wonded if anyone can think of somthing i have forgot.

plug socketts, wires, windows, stair case, poisens in bathroom,
i am going to put the risks and what i will do to minimize them but are there any other risks?

FizzysFriends
02-01-2010, 10:20 AM
raidiators, burns from the water in the bathroom. Also if you have older children then their bedrooms will not usually be toddler friendly with small toys/things left out.

margimum
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Definitely teenagers' bedrooms!!:eek:
I only use my bathroom upstairs, so have put a little hook / latch high on door to make sure noone 'strays' into bedrooms:laughing:

helenlc
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I use my DDs room for putting a travel cot in, so mine also includes making sure there is nothing hanging near the cot etc.

Making sure the landing is free from obstructions to avoid falling down the stairs. And also the stairs themselves being free from obstructions.

I only registered my upstairs rooms for my DDs to be used for a travel cot and my DSs room because I minded his friend when I started so had to do it to allow him both upstairs to play. I also did the upstairs bathroom for any older ones to be able to use. My room is the only one not registered.

I have a rule that only over 5s can go upstairs - this avoids any little ones having access to smaller pieces ie my sons Lego and daughters dolls bits and pieces. They can also only go up at the invitation of my children as its their rooms at the end of the day.

I just have an 18 mth old at the moment who goes for her afternoon nap upstairs.

Heaven Scent
02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Stench and rotting food in teenage sons bedroom (despite the fact that I have a very firm rule that no food or drinks except water are to be taken upstairs :huh: :laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
You are listing risks that are common all over the house. Have a look at why you were not registered for it in the first place like mirrored wardrobe doors and be aware that they will come out and inspect.

margaret
02-01-2010, 07:14 PM
as i understand from ofsted youre whole house is registered whether you use all the rooms or not ,all my bedrooms,4,have mirrored wardrobes and ofsted was happy with them ,i live in hampshire,does ofsted have different rules for different counties

FizzysFriends
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
as i understand from ofsted youre whole house is registered whether you use all the rooms or not ,all my bedrooms,4,have mirrored wardrobes and ofsted was happy with them ,i live in hampshire,does ofsted have different rules for different counties

The rules are the same all over England but when you are first reg'd they ask you which room you want to reg so not everyone has every room reg'd. I don't have my room or the office done as they weren't/aren't children friendly.

Heaven Scent
02-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Were you registered before EYFS if so they wouldn't have looked for risk assessments - I got all of my house registered except for the study which has an open staircase to the loft and I cant make it safe without virtually rebuilding it.

I only actually only use one upstairs room for mindees and that is my spare bedroom where they sleep other than that they rarely go upstairs I got it registered in case I ever had a need to take them into any of the rooms with me and it meant that I could go into virtually any room in my house I want or need to with the mindees without having to worry about it. Both of my children have stairgates which I can put across their doorways to stop little ones getting in and getting their hands on any of their toxic sock and undies etc - YUK I dislike teenagers a whole whole lot.