PDA

View Full Version : Decorating

Tired
01-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I have just decorated my palyroom. I use it for family time as well, so I know I can't claim for all of the cost.

However, I needed to decorate because the mindees had torn the paper off the walls, and I do use the room all day every day for work.

Can I claim a percentage of the decorating costs?

Pauline
01-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I have just decorated my palyroom. I use it for family time as well, so I know I can't claim for all of the cost.

However, I needed to decorate because the mindees had torn the paper off the walls, and I do use the room all day every day for work.

Can I claim a percentage of the decorating costs?

I would have thought it was covered in your wear and tear allowance but you could always phone the tax office and double check their thoughts :)

Chatterbox Childcare
01-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Of this was a new build then you could claim a percentage but it is wear and tear and you will need to absorb the cost yourself or not claim any wear and tear

Tired
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
thought it was wear and tear, i was just hoping otherwise.

thanks for your help

sweets
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
dont want to hijack the thread but ive a decorating question too so i will. lol.

at the mo ive got a through lounge diner, the children play in the dining end and i push the table to one side during the week. the children eat in the kitchen where there is just room for a little ikea childrens table. if i removed some of my worktop in order to fit a full size table in so that we can all eat together instead of me and one child perching on stools and leaning over. could i claim for the cost?

i wouldnt do it if i wasnt minding, i dont want the children eating in the dining room as its carpeted and would mean constantly pulling the table in and out at meal times.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
dont want to hijack the thread but ive a decorating question too so i will. lol.

at the mo ive got a through lounge diner, the children play in the dining end and i push the table to one side during the week. the children eat in the kitchen where there is just room for a little ikea childrens table. if i removed some of my worktop in order to fit a full size table in so that we can all eat together instead of me and one child perching on stools and leaning over. could i claim for the cost?

i wouldnt do it if i wasnt minding, i dont want the children eating in the dining room as its carpeted and would mean constantly pulling the table in and out at meal times.

I would go to the IR on this one. Personally I would claim and argue that it is for the children but better be safe than sorry once you have spent the money

KAZBAZ55
20-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Of this was a new build then you could claim a percentage but it is wear and tear and you will need to absorb the cost yourself or not claim any wear and tear

Hi again Debbie,

After reading your response to this I have a question.
I had a through lounge/dining room and in order to childmind I have split this into 2 rooms so that I have a room specifically for the childminding. Can I claim any of the cost of doing this? I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't doing the childminding it was purely so we could try to keep a seperate area just for my family & children should they want some quiet personal time.

:littleangel: What do you think?

Thanks again
karen x

ps Have took the caps lock off!!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi again Debbie,

I had a through lounge/dining room and in order to childmind I have split this into 2 rooms so that I have a room specifically for the childminding. Can I claim any of the cost of doing this? I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't doing the childminding it was purely so we could try to keep a seperate area just for my family & children should they want some quiet personal time.

Thanks again
karen x

he he - I could read it!!

I would say you can put the costs against your books but call the IR just to make sure

sweets
20-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi again Debbie,

Thanks again
karen x

i am thinking of doing this too! i want to get some folding doors fitted so i can make the dining room end into the kids area,(still wont be a playroom tho) and the lounge end into MY area! lol. the doors can be opoened at weekend and evening to let light into the lounge.

JJAY
01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi
I would say it's definetly covered under wear and tear

Chatterbox Childcare
02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
i am thinking of doing this too! i want to get some folding doors fitted so i can make the dining room end into the kids area,(still wont be a playroom tho) and the lounge end into MY area! lol. the doors can be opoened at weekend and evening to let light into the lounge.

what did the IR say?