PDA

View Full Version : Story Sack

venus89
30-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Is there such a thing as a reasonably prices premade and filled story sack? The ones I've been looking at are all in the region of £50 :eek: Or is the only feasable answer to make it yourself?

sarah707
30-12-2009, 08:52 PM
The only ones I've seen advertised seem to be lots of things to print and laminate... which isn't really what story sacks are about.

Or like you say very expensive :panic:

They should be more to do with involving children in the storytelling rather than looking at words...

So they should contain puppets of the characters so the children can go off and re-enact it by themselves later, other stories to link to the story (eg Elmer, Large Family etc) and games / songs/ rhymes etc to really involve them.

Guess what I've been researching recently? :p :D

venus89
30-12-2009, 08:58 PM
The only ones I've seen advertised seem to be lots of things to print and laminate... which isn't really what story sacks are about.

Or like you say very expensive :panic:

They should be more to do with involving children in the storytelling rather than looking at words...

So they should contain puppets of the characters so the children can go off and re-enact it by themselves later, other stories to link to the story (eg Elmer, Large Family etc) and games / songs/ rhymes etc to really involve them.

Guess what I've been researching recently? :p :D

Erm...... nope, give up!

That's what I felt - I don't want somebody to sell me a Sparklebox set and call it a story sack. The ages I mind it needs to be interactive and fun and yes, include words if any of them are interested, but it's not the most important thing when they're all tiny ones.... I shall have to make my own! Sarah, iof you're bored then there's another business opportunity for you :laughing:

Chell
30-12-2009, 09:21 PM
There are some story sack ideas (http://www.babysigningstore.co.uk/Story-sacks.php?osCsid=e3cb388e680c61ff3fc1d50a4b1c9430) here - how to make your own with a few simple resources.

venus89
30-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks Chell - I'd checked your site out already and I think this is the route I'll take. I was just wondering if anybody know of some cheaper pre made sacks..... I can't believe how much they cost :eek:

Chell
30-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Childs Play make story sacks but they are expensive. Sparkle box website has printables to add if you wanted to make your own.

venus89
30-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Childs Play make story sacks but they are expensive. Sparkle box website has printables to add if you wanted to make your own.

Thanks Chell x

mum26
30-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi,

I bought this one earlier this year:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mrs-Honey-Storysack-Childs-Play/dp/0859536793/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262208709&sr=8-4

It's £25.00 so not cheap, but cheaper than a lot I have seen.

Karen

venus89
30-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi,

I bought this one earlier this year:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mrs-Honey-Storysack-Childs-Play/dp/0859536793/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262208709&sr=8-4

It's £25.00 so not cheap, but cheaper than a lot I have seen.

Karen

Thank you Karen - that's a lot more reasonably priced!

beccas
30-12-2009, 09:38 PM
i made my own quite good at sewing so did hungry catapillar i did all fruit with holes in etc then made some wings stuck velcro on them and bought a catapillar teddy to stick then to. if any one wants anythingsewing just pm me.

venus89
30-12-2009, 09:41 PM
i made my own quite good at sewing so did hungry catapillar i did all fruit with holes in etc then made some wings stuck velcro on them and bought a catapillar teddy to stick then to. if any one wants anythingsewing just pm me.

That sounds really good beccas - when I decide which (bird related :rolleyes: ) story I want to do I'll be Pming you to help out :D

madasahatter
30-12-2009, 09:49 PM
The first one I made was of 'Dear Zoo' and I basically collected the various animals from charity shops. Sometimes you can be lucky and find MacDonalds toys that fit the stories. I had collected an elephant, lion, giraffe, monkey, dog and snake from various MacDonalds happymeal collections and just had to find a camel and a frog.
What I tend to do is choose a book, find the relevant soft toys or puppets and a related non-fiction book and store them in a bag together. The game...well that depends on whether I've got anything suitable, so for Dear Zoo I've got a set of animal snap/pairs cards that came free with a BBC children's magazine years ago. Whilst I've made a cd/tape recording of the story I have to be honest and say that this in my experience has often been a waste of time, with children not being interested in using the tapes/cd's. I then look for related craft activities (usually online) that tie in with individual children's ages/stages/interests.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I tend to make a simplified version of a storysack.

venus89
30-12-2009, 09:52 PM
I suppose what I'm saying is that I tend to make a simplified version of a storysack.

:laughing: :laughing:

It sounds good - I've been meaning to start collectiong for ages but never got myself in gear.... I feel a plan forming :D