PDA

View Full Version : how do mindees dry hands in toilet?

newandlearning
28-12-2009, 05:49 PM
hi.. am trying to figure out a different way of doing this.. for the last
year we've changed hand towels every day .. I've got a small toilet downstairs
and am wondering how everyone else manages this so its hygienic etc...
if you don't use hand towels/flannels .. where do you storage things... I'm taking
on new mindees in jan. and havent room in the toilet area for more hooks so
need to come up with some other plan ...

any advice would be great.. thanks a lot.xx:)

helenlc
28-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I have shelves above my toilet in the recess that stores the flannels and hand towels for mindees when not in use. I also have a small basket on the shelf that has my gloves and nappy sacks etc in it for quick/easy access.

When I am working, there are hooks on the back of the door half way down and this is where their towels/flannels hang during the day.

It works for me at the moment!!!:thumbsup:

Angela234
28-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I Use a kitchen roll on a holder above the sink and a small bin under the sink i only have a small area so no room to hang towels

Ofsted have always been happy with this

singingcactus
28-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I use flannels cos I can't stand the wastage involved in paper towels. I have a CD rack/tower that I store the flannels in - clean each day, one shelf per child. I also keep a drawer string bag attached to my toilet roll cage (letter box cage) that holds clean flannels if the kids need to change theirs out during a day.

beccas
28-12-2009, 06:29 PM
hi.. am trying to figure out a different way of doing this.. for the last
year we've changed hand towels every day .. I've got a small toilet downstairs
and am wondering how everyone else manages this so its hygienic etc...
if you don't use hand towels/flannels .. where do you storage things... I'm taking
on new mindees in jan. and havent room in the toilet area for more hooks so
need to come up with some other plan ...

any advice would be great.. thanks a lot.xx:)

i dont dry them in the toliet.:laughing: :laughing: i use the sink to wash hands and kitchen roll to dry.....sorry couldnt resist the temptation...

nokidshere
29-12-2009, 08:33 AM
I have a single normal towel hanging on a hook at the side of the sink that they all use. Its changed daily.

breezy
29-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Each have their own towel hanging over a radiator airer, washed every day.

sweets
29-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I have a single normal towel hanging on a hook at the side of the sink that they all use. Its changed daily.

this is all i have too. i think its ridiculous all having to have a individual towels, its a home setting and its not what usually happens in a home.

saying that tho i only have unders 5's and they are supervised washing their hands so i know they are clean before they use the towel. i would maybe re think if i had loads of older children using it.

The Juggler
29-12-2009, 09:27 AM
i dont dry them in the toliet.:laughing: :laughing: i use the sink to wash hands and kitchen roll to dry.....sorry couldnt resist the temptation...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ha, ha, I'm always saying go and wash your hands in the toilet!

The Juggler
29-12-2009, 09:28 AM
this is all i have too. i think its ridiculous all having to have a individual towels, its a home setting and its not what usually happens in a home.

saying that tho i only have unders 5's and they are supervised washing their hands so i know they are clean before they use the towel. i would maybe re think if i had loads of older children using it.

and me - sometimes I don't even change it every day:eek:

Cammie Doodle
29-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Ikea flannels in a tub and a small pedal bin for used ones, it was mentioned somewhere (cant remember where though ) That we should not trust a child to use his/ her own towel :rolleyes: Hated the thought of paper towels, so have adopted the Ikea flannels and it is working brilliantly and Ofsted liked it, so everyone happy inc kids as they like the foot pedal on the bin :D

mushpea
29-12-2009, 10:56 AM
mine have their own flannels to dry their hands on which hang on pegs in the bathroom with their names above the pegs, my own kids and me use a normal hand towel.

Tink
29-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I only have one towel, if I put out one for each they would all use the same one anyway and I don't see why they need separate ones, once they have used soap and ashed their hands they are only drying their clean hands! aren't they?

nikkia77
29-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Ikea flannels in a tub and a small pedal bin for used ones, it was mentioned somewhere (cant remember where though ) That we should not trust a child to use his/ her own towel :rolleyes: Hated the thought of paper towels, so have adopted the Ikea flannels and it is working brilliantly and Ofsted liked it, so everyone happy inc kids as they like the foot pedal on the bin :D

I like this idea, our downstairs loo has a masarater (sp) which we have blocked ourselves a couple of times (lol) so wouldn't trust mindees with paper towels/kitchen roll

Heaven Scent
29-12-2009, 12:41 PM

This is what sprung to mind when I read the title sos:laughing: :laughing:

I have flannels in a container and a small pedal bin just like June - but I also have towel on a towel ring that my own family and any visitors use and it is changed daily - just like any normal family at the end of the day this is a family home and NOT a bloomin' setting - that is what I provide HOME FROM HOME CARE - OK its over now and I've kicked my soap box into the corner for later!!!!

Chimps Childminding
29-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Same here funnily enough!!!!!!!:laughing: for those that don't know we live next door to each other!!!!:D

Pauline
29-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I use flannels cos I can't stand the wastage involved in paper towels.

You don't need to worry about the waste when using paper towels, we put ours in the compost bin, some paper in there with the veg waste etc. helps to make better compost and it teaches the children about recycling and reusing waste products. :thumbsup: Plus it is far better on the environment than the water used and wash power etc. in washing the flannels.

miffy
29-12-2009, 11:02 PM

Same here! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Cazz
29-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I didn't like the idea of sharing towels or the amount of washing generated by having individual ones so I use paper towels and have a small bin under the sink. I do supervise them though to make sure they don't throw them in the toilet!!

30-12-2009, 09:18 AM
When Ofsted did my first visit, I got pulled up on only having one towel for all the children to use. My Ofsted inspector said that it wasn't really acceptable. I now have a basket with lots of flannels in and when each child washes their hands, they take a flannel out and then throw it in a bin to be washed. When Ofsted did my second inspection, they were really pleased with it. I must admit though, it does drive me mad having to wash all the flannels on a regular basis to keep the basket stocked up with fresh ones.

nokidshere
30-12-2009, 10:34 AM
They have just washed their hands? They are clean? Why do they need a towel each? It just doesn't make sense.

I am happy to follow Ofsted guidelines when those guidelines make sense - but not when they don't. When you have the amount of children through our homes as we all do, there are germs passed every which way all day long. Drying clean hands is really not on the radar after they have been sticking their fingers up their noses, in their pants and god knows where else - and then gone to play with toys and other children.

Hugging, kissing, coughing, sneezing - fgs they will be required to wear glass bubbles over their heads soon!

sweets
30-12-2009, 11:23 AM
They have just washed their hands? They are clean? Why do they need a towel each? It just doesn't make sense.

I am happy to follow Ofsted guidelines when those guidelines make sense - but not when they don't. When you have the amount of children through our homes as we all do, there are germs passed every which way all day long. Drying clean hands is really not on the radar after they have been sticking their fingers up their noses, in their pants and god knows where else - and then gone to play with toys and other children.

Hugging, kissing, coughing, sneezing - fgs they will be required to wear glass bubbles over their heads soon!

your post made me laugh:laughing: :laughing:

its totally true:D

Pauline
30-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I am happy to follow Ofsted guidelines when those guidelines make sense - but not when they don't.

and that is completely your choice and you can do that and argue it out with the inspector at the time but until they change their view of these matters then your grade will be affected. It depends how important the grade is for you.

I'm not saying it is right, but it is how things are :huh:

mushpea
30-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I guess ofsted want individual towels for children because they dont always wash their hands properly before drying, i acutualy introduced seperate flanels for hand drying because after any messy activites all children would go and wash their hands whilst i tidyed away the mess and each time the towel would be covered in what ever they had been doijng, one child was not washing their hands properly but turning the tap on showing their hands the water then cleaning them on my towel so i gave them all their own towels so that the children had a clean hand towel and so that i could work out which child couldnt be bothered to wash their hands, turned out to be one fo the older children who new better,, i didnt actualy say anything to them about it becasue one of the younger children spotted the childs dirty hand towel and questioned them about it which embarrased them in to cleaning their hands properly!!

anyway bascily i think ofsted are assuming that not all children was hands properly before drying so could still be cross contaminating other children.

bexx
30-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I like this idea, our downstairs loo has a masarater (sp) which we have blocked ourselves a couple of times (lol) so wouldn't trust mindees with paper towels/kitchen roll

I am loving this idea. I started using towels for individual children, then went on the kitchen towel, as I was forever washing. This would be better, as more cost effective. I get through loads of kitchen roll.
Can I just mention one thing though. I have just had my second Ofsted visit in a year (a very long story), and both occassions, with two diferent insppectors, they were particulary hot on the towel issue. In my experience, those of you who are using one towel for your children, or not changing each day, may be picked up on this. Ofsted told me this is a fundamental part of the welfare part of (the dreaded)EYFS. They see it as crucial to the childs well being that they have their own face flannel and towel. It's actually in their guidance as well. The inspector who has just visited me, even said that because I had a towel in the cloakroom, which I keep their for me and visitors, this could be confusing to the children(?) I did say to the inspector that the children wouldn't have a seperate towel at home, and that their hands are clean when they dry them, but she said a wet towel can harbour bacteria.
Just thought I should mention it:O)

Pauline
30-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I am loving this idea. I started using towels for individual children, then went on the kitchen towel, as I was forever washing. This would be better, as more cost effective. I get through loads of kitchen roll.
Can I just mention one thing though. I have just had my second Ofsted visit in a year (a very long story), and both occassions, with two diferent insppectors, they were particulary hot on the towel issue. In my experience, those of you who are using one towel for your children, or not changing each day, may be picked up on this. Ofsted told me this is a fundamental part of the welfare part of (the dreaded)EYFS. They see it as crucial to the childs well being that they have their own face flannel and towel. It's actually in their guidance as well. The inspector who has just visited me, even said that because I had a towel in the cloakroom, which I keep their for me and visitors, this could be confusing to the children(?) I did say to the inspector that the children wouldn't have a seperate towel at home, and that their hands are clean when they dry them, but she said a wet towel can harbour bacteria.
Just thought I should mention it:O)

I think you are absolutely right and Ofsted would also probably argue that there are other infections that could be passed on even after washing hands, impetigo for one in the early stages might not be noticed on a child's hands and could be passed to the towel. Plus they might cough and sneeze as they use it.:)

nokidshere
30-12-2009, 01:36 PM
and that is completely your choice and you can do that and argue it out with the inspector at the time but until they change their view of these matters then your grade will be affected. It depends how important the grade is for you.

I'm not saying it is right, but it is how things are :huh:

It's how things are because no-one questions it not because it's right. Maybe we could ask mythbusters to do a test about where the most germs are in the home - I'm betting it won't be the bathroom :laughing:

nokidshere
30-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I think you are absolutely right and Ofsted would also probably argue that there are other infections that could be passed on even after washing hands, impetigo for one in the early stages might not be noticed on a child's hands and could be passed to the towel. Plus they might cough and sneeze as they use it.:)

But Infections such as impetigo would already be being passed on in the normal day to day activities. And I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone can make sure that children don't cough and sneeze all over the place without a tissue. You would have to be watching them like a hawk every second - and we all know that is totally unrealistic. It's totally impossible to stop the spread of infection where there are lots of children. Or people in general come to that.

And if we are talking about reducing the risk then the risk would be making sure they wash their hands properly - not drying them after!

Pauline
30-12-2009, 02:27 PM
But Infections such as impetigo would already be being passed on in the normal day to day activities. And I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone can make sure that children don't cough and sneeze all over the place without a tissue. You would have to be watching them like a hawk every second - and we all know that is totally unrealistic. It's totally impossible to stop the spread of infection where there are lots of children. Or people in general come to that.

And if we are talking about reducing the risk then the risk would be making sure they wash their hands properly - not drying them after!

I agree but I'm coming at this from the inspectors angle and playing devil's advocate. I'm not saying that you can make sure they are not coughing and sneezing in other places or passing on infections but it is something Ofsted might well bring up during an inspection if a child had a cold while they were there.They would ask how you help reduce cross infection risks and no doubt be very impressed with a minder who wiped toys and surfaces at regular intervals to help reduce it.

If you feel so strongly take it up with Ofsted we'd all be interested to hear their response. :thumbsup:

nokidshere
30-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree but I'm coming at this from the inspectors angle and playing devil's advocate. I'm not saying that you can make sure they are not coughing and sneezing in other places or passing on infections but it is something Ofsted might well bring up during an inspection if a child had a cold while they were there.They would ask how you help reduce cross infection risks and no doubt be very impressed with a minder who wiped toys and surfaces at regular intervals to help reduce it.

If you feel so strongly take it up with Ofsted we'd all be interested to hear their response. :thumbsup:

Oh I don't feel strongly about it at all :D would never think about stuff like this unless I was reading it on here. We all do what we think is necessary regardless of what others do.

julie w
30-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I was told by ofsted to only use paper towels, otherwise to use towels that were replaced and washed after each use. Both are ridiculous in my mind. Not environmentally friendly either way.

singingcactus
30-12-2009, 07:36 PM
You don't need to worry about the waste when using paper towels, we put ours in the compost bin, some paper in there with the veg waste etc. helps to make better compost and it teaches the children about recycling and reusing waste products. :thumbsup: Plus it is far better on the environment than the water used and wash power etc. in washing the flannels.

Sadly I live in military quarters where we are not allowed compost bins or have to have them cleaned out when we get posted. Lincs council have crap recycling facilities too so I'm afraid I would have to worry about wastage!
Added to that I believe daily encouraging children to accept that we live in a disposable society is not a good thing at all. I believe it is much better for our planet and our children to teach them to re-use items where it is possible. This is why I would not use disposable plates, cutlery, cups etc any more than I will ever use paper to dry my hands on once then bin. I teach them about recycling with items that cannot be normally re-used within the home, like glass and plastics and boxes and by showing them how to cut down on waste by not buying prepacked goods etc.
As for the whole water, and wash powder thing I think that is too easy an argument to fall back on. The washing machine would be on anyway, and 3-4 flannels will not increase the amount of powder or water used, neither will it increase the amount of loads I wash. However paper towels over the months will increase the amount I send to land fill or in the composting case the amount of bleach and chemical that leach into the environment and the vast amount of money I waste by not reusing towels. I am sorry but that argument will never win the day with me.

Daisy1956
30-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I have a basket of flannels the children use a clean one each time, I know its a lot of washing but not as much of hand towels anyway I haven't room for a towel for each child

zillervalley
30-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I use hand towels, and have a bin in the washroom

Ofsted pulled me the time before last about seperate towels,

infections and such

Daftbat
31-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I have a container with paper towels in it and i encourage the children to use them. I still have towels as normal around which my family use, and i know that the children use the towel sometimes too - the paper ones don't always need replenishing as much as they would do if all the children used them all the time! I can't accompany everyone to the bathroom though and i do encourage the little ones to be self sufficient in the bathroom in readiness for nursery where they won't get any help.

I told Ofsted that i encourage the children to use them and she was happy with that - no mention was made of the towels in the bathroom. She was happy that liquid soap was being used too as ordinary soap harbours bacteria, for a while at least anyway - i didn't realise that until a couple of years ago.

Chatterbox Childcare
31-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I just use anti baterial gel everywhere and then I just have to do the babies myself and supervise the little ones when using it. If I say "hand wash" they will bring me the bottle - well educated my lot!

Ofsted witnessed this and had no issue with it.

twise
31-12-2009, 03:23 PM
i have individual towles with their names embroidered(SP) on them. Got them from ebay. Gives them the opportunity for name recognition.

Ofsted seemed pleased with that.

Tracy

janminder
03-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Mine have different coloured towels or a pattern so they know which is theirs.