PDA

View Full Version : Potty question

Tink
28-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I've got a mindee who has started potty training last week at home.
This is fab but my bathroom is upstairs, so would I be ok to have it by the back door?
Does anyone else have a bathroom upstairs? what do you do, with regards to emptying it?

helenlc
28-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Sorry I cannot help as I am fortunate enough to have a downstairs toilet.

But when I was a nanny a few years ago, the family only hadone bathroom which was upstairs at the back of the house. When they were potty training (twins as well so double the work load!!:D ), I used to have to keep taking it upstairs to empty.

However, just outside the back door there was a drain - so every now and then I would step outside the door, empty it, then brng it back indoors, spray some anti bac in it and swish some water round, then tip it down the drain again.

I think its a case of what works best for you - it depends on what other children you will have and how long it will take to empty the potty upstairs or out the back door.

Maybe someone who has just the upstairs bathroom will be able to advise you better.

Zoomie
28-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I recently had a mindee who was potty trained when she started.

I started the potty off in a quiet spot just around the corner from the stairs. If she used the potty, I would wipe her hands with a wipe and then nip upstairs with it. I turned contents into the toilet, put a bit more water into it (from the bath tap), tipped that, washed my own hands and then brought it back down. I could do this all in less time that it would take for me to go to the toilet myself.

After a few weeks, I moved the potty upstairs, and now mindee goes up on her own, just calling me to empty potty / whilst she washes her own hands etc.

You'll also find (hopefully) that mindee only actually uses the toilet about 2/3 times in a session (morning), so it isn't like you'll be hovering constantly - if you are it probably means mindee isn't ready yet.

The Juggler
28-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I kept mine in the hall too when both my 2 year olds were potty training this year. I then went to the loo to empty, washed their hands and mine and wiped or sprayed potty with anti-bac.

janminder
28-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Have an upstairs toilet too so keep potty in the hall and do the same as Zoomie.