PDA

View Full Version : ctv cameras

kutchykoo
07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
As a childminder I go to a stay and play session at a childrens centre and I have just found out that they have a ctv camera watching us. I havn't signed any permission form to say I agree to this, the little girl I look after used to go to the nursury there and the mother said she has never signed any permission form either. In the stay and play session there are 4 play workers observing so why do they need cameras?
What do you all think?

Spangles
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I've got to say I've never thought about it before and it wouldn't have crossed my mind to be a problem.

I suppose it's there as back up for them if something happens to one of the children and the play workers don't see it or they need proof of what happened?

I don't really know. I don't think it would bother me though but maybe it will after I've read everyone else's replies! Perhaps I've just not thought this through properly! Ha ha! I think I just assume there are cctv cameras everywhere now and ignore them!

Annie_T
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
i think they are in place for legel reasons - ie baby to get hurt they hope they have evidence but as for not signing a form is wrong everyone should be made aware they have cctv camera's surely.

id feel uncomfortable but least i know they are there in case of any mishap etc

miss muffit
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi I'm sorry but i think this is out of order, a ctv camera that you havent given permission to be on .
Why do we need permission for all the things we do with our mindees ....it sounds like a rule for one!
I know some might be thinking if your doing nothing wrong then why worry...i'm sorry but i still think it is out of order.:(
:)

angeldelight
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
But maybe it could be for your own protection ?

What if a dodgy character got in causing trouble or started hanging around

You would be grateful if they managed to catch someone this way due to the ctv cameras ??

I do understand what you are saying when we have to have all these rules and regualations etc it does seem strange I guess - and ive not really had any thoughts on this before

Its life nowdays though if you think about it they are everywhere - even some toilets !!!!

But maybe this is for the childrens safety?

Angel xx

ma7ie
07-03-2008, 02:46 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. We are constantly being monitored when we are out and about, whether it is in a shop or out on the street so one more camera doesn't make a difference.

sarah707
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I would hope they are there for my protection and I know when I go to Manchester they are on nearly every street corner and building...

If you are concerned though you shoud make contact with the people that own and run the building and speak to them about their reasoning behind the cameras and proof that they are there for a purpose :D

Heaven Scent
07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I know what you are saying about the double standards its a tricky one, unfortunately cctv has become a part of every day life and I've just grown used to it I suppose the difference is that the images are not stored for long nor are they printed off and available for others to see. I presume they are kept in a locked office. I know too that for us it would seem unlikely that our photos would ever be posted on the internet but if they did get into the wrong hands and someone posted them we could be sued up to the hilt and risk losing our homes. These big centres are run by a government body and as such is protected by them so if someone does get hold of the tape ( which if you watch the news lately seems more likely than ours getting into the wrong hands) then its the government who have to sort it out. Look on permission slips as a way of protecting yourself and the cctv as protection for you also rather than thinking of it as big brother watching you. Its like ID cards nothing to hide = nothing to worry about see it all as a way of safeguarding you against other bad/evil people.

Celine:idea: :idea:

miss muffit
07-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi I do understand we are being watched by "big brother" where ever we go and yes sometimes its good.
I think we are missing the point here...As kutchykoo said its the permission thing not wether we want them there or not :) :) :)

miffy
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't know that our permission is needed for cctv - that wouldn't work as there are cameras everywhere these days

I suppose the arguement is they are there for everyone's protection we might not like them but may be thankful they were there if something happened

Miffy xx

susi513
07-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I think that walking past a shop/bank/police cctv & being caught by chance on their camera is a different thing from entering a nursery or toddler group or anywhere else you are paying to visit/use and not being told they have CCTV.

We could not use CCTV in our setting without parental permission and I have worked with parents who wouldn't even allow a photo to be taken by me or even at preschool. I think nurseries and children centres should have to follow the same rules. JMHO

flora
07-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I think that walking past a shop/bank/police cctv & being caught by chance on their camera is a different thing from entering a nursery or toddler group or anywhere else you are paying to visit/use and not being told they have CCTV.

We could not use CCTV in our setting without parental permission and I have worked with parents who wouldn't even allow a photo to be taken by me or even at preschool. I think nurseries and children centres should have to follow the same rules. JMHO

I know of a childminder who uses cctv in her playroom and watches it on the tv in the kitchen whilst cooking dinner tea etc etc. She recently got outstanding and the inspector thought it a fab idea. :eek: Not for me personally, but takes all sorts

Like everyone else I suppose you take ccctv for granted now and I just assumed places would have it. Never really given it a great deal of thought.

ajs
07-03-2008, 08:43 PM
they reckon that we are caught on cctv at leat 300 times a day without knowing it.
i think i would query why they feel it necessary to be videoing inside the building while we were there anyway
it may also be that they have had a few thefts and need to be watching who is doing it

Alibali
08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I think there should be a clause or something on their sign in register so that users are all aware this is going on, I also have had parents who don't want photos etc due to child protection issues, and surely their wishes should be counted for, and we should decide whether or not we want to use a facility that we know is using CCTV?
Alison